I suggest you ...

Limited access should allow users to browse through the structure

Sharing a document library in a complex structure does not allow user to go through the existing structure to see, where he/she has access to. It is needed the user know well where he should look for documents.
Limited Access permission description is misleading users/admins to think the user can BROWSE the structure. Currently it is almost impossible for admins to setup a complex structure on SharePoint and later decide he/she want invite users inside the middle of existing structure and letting users to browse the structure. Currently the user need to have its own list where he has access to.
Allowing users to browse the structure from the root can simpler the life of admins and make SharePoint more usable. This is something a lot of our customer is looking for.
Scenario:
Site collection {“limited access” for user}
- SubSite {“limited access” for user}
o List {break inheritance, user have “Contribute” permissions here, but he/she cannot go through from site collection}

10 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jakub UrbanJakub Urban shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Renee BarnetteRenee Barnette commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for this suggestion.

I would like to see this, if not for users to view, at least for those who can manage permissions, such as those with Full Control (if not possible at that level, then for Collection Administrators), so those responsible for managing permissions can determine more easily where users have access, and the permission level granted, through the site structure.

Feedback and Knowledge Base