I suggest you ...

Enable 'Export to Excel' on non-IE Browsers

We can use the 'Export to Excel' functionality in lists and libraries in Internet Explorer, but it doesn't work in Chrome or other browsers, even though the ribbon button is enabled. Instead, we get errors that look something like this:

WEB
https://tenant.sharepoint.com/sites/mysitename/_vti_bin/owssvr.dll?XMLDATA=1&List={BF80F884-1DDC-4B28-B088-4F8A60F410C2}&View={8A06B7A1-44A1-4082-88FB-A88899D69303}&RowLimit=0&RootFolder=%2fsites%2fmysitename%2fLists%2fmylistname

Selection={BF80F884-1DDC-4B28-B088-4F8A60F410C2}-{8A06B7A1-44A1-4082-88FB-A88899D69303}
EditWebPage=
Formatting=None
PreFormattedTextToColumns=True
ConsecutiveDelimitersAsOne=True
SingleBlockTextImport=False
DisableDateRecognition=False
DisableRedirections=False
SharePointApplication=https://tenant.sharepoint.com/sites/mysitename/_vti_bin
SharePointListView={8A06B7A1-44A1-4082-88FB-A88899D69303}
SharePointListName={BF80F884-1DDC-4B28-B088-4F8A60F410C2}
RootFolder=/sites/mysitename/Lists/mylistname

As I understand it, this is because the functionality uses ActiveX. However, in this modern world we know that people are using different browsers very frequently. This should work in all browsers or at least fall back to a CSV export if it can't function the same way.

26 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

sympmarcsympmarc shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Matt WadeMatt Wade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I realize this request comes mainly because the button is enabled and throws an error (poor user experience versus no user experience), but as an expansion on this concept, making "Open with Explorer" and "Connect to Outlook" should also work in Firefox and Chrome.

• Daniel theNerdDaniel theNerd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The real problem is that IE has activeX controls to allow this, while other browsers do not. Therefore it would be helpful if there was a browser plugin for the other browsers that would enable this functionality. Come on Microsoft, get this done!

• Sri, SunkavalliSri, Sunkavalli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Modern browsers are capturing broader market than MSFT browsers. In order to make SharePoint more accessible all features should be accessible in all the browsers and I completely agree excel export should be most important part of it.

• subash chandra dassubash chandra das commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even for "open in window explorer" for document library works in IE only. Ideally all the functionality should work same way in every browse

Feedback and Knowledge Base