I suggest you ...

Migration or upgrade path to 365

Currently if we want to migrate or upgrade to 365 we have to purchase an additional 3rd party product. It would be very beneficial if we could migrate some of the on-premise list, libraries or even sites without the need to invest additional tools that charge per GB.

72 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ricardo VallecilloRicardo Vallecillo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • PaoloPaolo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to be able to move from on-premise sharepoint to sharepoint online in a simple way as a migration on-premise.
        So I want backup the content database, use a tool with resume to send at sharepoint admin (or similar place) and then in automatic i found the site collection on SharePoint Online with all my data and logics, workflow, customization and so on (exclude of course wsp).

• AGAG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The migration path could be "all PowerShell too". Many of our customers in this tight budget periods are unable to spend on 3rd party tools which sometimes have not too good technical support (besides apply the latest version of the tool).

• Brett LonsdaleBrett Lonsdale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We at Lightning Tools have developed a tool that works with the new Office 365 migration API that uses Azure Storage to queue the job. We won't be charging a per GB fee, and the tool will have a free period and yearly subscriptions. Expect to see a release before Christmas. I would love you feedback. www.lightningtools.com

• Dr Adrian ColquhounDr Adrian Colquhoun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Awesome - wrt common migration requirements, many SharePoint systems become digital dustbins of long forgotten and no longer required information. When migrating to the new a common approach is to "start again" because it's all too hard to work out what is actually of value and to reclassify that correctly so it can be discovered and surface easily. In enabling migration tools the smart approach is to just move the information of value (if you can easily identify it) based on currency, usage and so on.

• Aaron OttAaron Ott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed - sometimes I don't need to move everything on the site and just want to grab a document library. If we could at least get the ability to import lists/libraries to SharePoint Online that were exported from an on prem site, that would be a huge help. 3rd party products could still be useful if one needs a more 1 to 1 migration.

• Simon Bourdages [Program Manager; Microsoft]Simon Bourdages [Program Manager; Microsoft] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think there 2 part to his question. The first part is about having to go to a 3rd Party for basic Content Move. The second part is about the charge per GB that Some ISV do, I say some because if you dig enough there are some that have fixed rate. Correct me if I am wrong.

• Thuan NgThuan Ng commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Partly agree but my thought is that if Microsoft offers such a feature then the certified ISV partner wouldn't be happy :).

• Simon Bourdages [Program Manager; Microsoft]Simon Bourdages [Program Manager; Microsoft] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi and thanks for the Feedback. My team is looking at this issue
        We would love for you to provide feedback on what are the most common needs for Migration. For instance you mentioned Lists and libraries but is there more details on what are your more urgent need and what kind solution you would expect.

Feedback and Knowledge Base