SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

Sites and Collaboration

Welcome! This is your place to suggest ideas or vote for ideas for improving the SharePoint Sites and Collaboration experience.

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

How to submit a new idea

1. Check if it's already been suggested. If it has, vote for it.
  2. If it's new, submit it in 50 words or less.
  3. Gather support!
  4. If your idea receives over 100 votes in 90 days, we will respond.
    If not, we will close it.

Want to engage further? Please visit the SharePoint Community

Note: we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. fix the "likes" rating settings in modern experience

Please fix the "Likes" voting/rating in the modern experience. It works in the classic experience, and I have confirmed through a support request that this is not working in the modern experience. The support tech suggested that I add this as a feature request.

Office 365 Ticket #30126-6277622

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. As a user I want to be able to create Word documents in Word 2016 (i.e. Desktop) from templates stored in SharePoint

In Office 2016 we only have 2 locations for templates:

• User Templates

• Workgroup Templates

This is just too limited. I need to be able to reference template libraries in more than just two locations.

It seems to me that we should be able to reference templates stored on SharePoint sites, just to be clear multiple SharePoint sites.

So if I want to create a document from the Marketing Team's templates then I should be able to see templates from their SP site, if I want to create a document from the Finance Team's template then I should be able to…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add a "Shared With" column to folders

Small libraries with folders sometimes need to be shared with internal users, and more importantly with external users. A "Shared With" column would be extremely helpful in these scenarios.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Allow external users to sync document libraries

External users are unable to sync document libraries unless they are individually given read access to the root SharePoint site. External users should be able to sync documents without this step.

40 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Improve Mapped folder experience --- Mac OS + Permanent connection on both Windows + Mac

Improve Mapped folder experience --- Mac OS + Permanent connection on both Windows + Mac

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Customize SharePoint Email Alert Templates

Allow the site collection admins to customize the template for the standard SharePoint alerts. The current email alerts are confusing, provide too much information to the user and are out-of-date style-wise.

Allow the admins to add common fields, i.e. "Title", "Created By", and include an image and hyperlinks. Also allow adding a CSS style sheet.

609 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow Content Types to contain Multiple Templates

When using the Modern interface, the New Button contains a way to create several types of Office documents (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and assign them to the default content type (I.e. Document).

When you add a custom Content Type to the library these options disappear and are replaced by the option to add only the Content Types (and Link/Folder).

It would be helpful if Content Types (minimally) had the ability to select if you wanted these options to appear when adding a custom content type (possibly when you didn't supply a template).

Ideally, it would be nice if you could…

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Simple Search

On listing pages for documents, there is no simple search box for the Name column to filter live. This would make search for documents in a folder or for a folder name really simple especially in large folders.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Implement Consistent Check-In Behavior in Modern Document Libraries

Currently in the Modern Library interface there are several ways to upload/add files. This is great as users need to use the option they are most comfortable with.

However, in the situation that a library has a required column in the library there is differences in what happens based on what the user does.

If a user creates a file with the new button, the interface will create the file and set it to “Checked out”.

If a user uploads a file using the upload button (or drags/drops a single file) the file will upload and be set to “Checked…

31 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. COpy here

The 'copy to' command is really difficult to use, it is hard to pick the destination with the current picker., esp when you need to go a few folders deep.

Can you make a duplicate command, that copy pastes in the current folder...???

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. make a default Office Online's edit mode enabled when opening files.

*English follows Japanese

■Title(件名):ファイルを開いた際に既定で Office Online の編集モードで操作を可能にしたい

Wishing the operation along with a default Office Online's edit mode to be enabled when opening a file.

■Description_JP (内容): ドキュメントライブラリ内のファイルを開いた際に、既定で Office Online の編集モードで操作が可能となるよう、設定を変更する機能の追加してほしい。ファイルの編集を開始するまでの工数を削減することを目的としております。

In case of opening the files in a document library, I hope that I will be able to use the additional feature enabling me to modify its setting so as to perform the operation, using default Office Online's edit mode. That would be very helpful in reduce the workloads in achieving the initiation of file edit.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. change folder icon picture

you should be able to change folder icon to a customized picture

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow users to stop sharing folder

Allow users to stop sharing folder. Currently, users with "Edit" permissions can share files and folders. They can stop sharing files but cannot stop sharing folders. At the moment, the user needs to contact a SharePoint Admin to stop the sharing of any folder they might have shared.

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add description to files and folders

Add descriptions to files and folders

I'd love to be able to add brief descriptions to my folders and documents. A one-liner letting others know the contents of the folder or document at a glance, and perhaps some notes (i.e. "Presented at XWY meeting, approved by W").

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Microsoft SharePoint 2016 On-Premises : Not able to upload file with Safari Browser on Mac OS

Making use of Safari browser to Upload file to SharePoint 2016 On-Premises.

Issue :
    Was not able to upload file to SharePoint 2016 on-premise. Tried with x3 Mac. Same result.

Able to upload file to SharePoint 2016 on-premise with FireFox / Chrome / Ms Office on the same Mac.
    Able to upload file to SharePoint Online with Safari on same Mac

Tried the following SharePoint plugin for Safari - doesn't work.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3183199/microsoft-sharepoint-on-premises-safari-browser-plugin-for-office-2016

Others has similar issue.
    https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/200180/problem-uploading-files-from-mac

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. New Document Library Experience In place record

It would be very important to include the "Declare record" action back to new experience action (from the old ribbon).

Today it is one of the blocker for my client for exemple.

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Automatically create albums in a SharePoint picture libraries

Onedrive can automatically create albums based on pictures metadata; we should be able to achieve this in an intranet -> in a SharePoint picture libraries

54 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Drag&Drop File Move/Copy Function

Drag&Drop Move/Copy functions in document library. It is pretty frustrating to have to manually navigate to the destination folder every time I need to move a file.

29 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Sticky Headers

It would be great if the headings of a document library or list scroll down the page when you are scrolling down the list/library (sticky headings).
    I currently use Jquery in the old experience to do this but the new experience does not allow Jquery and does not have a built in sticky header feature.

47 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base