SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

Sites and Collaboration

Welcome! This is your place to suggest ideas or vote for ideas for improving the SharePoint Sites and Collaboration experience.

How to submit a new idea

1. Check if it's already been suggested. If it has, vote for it.
  2. If it's new, submit it in 50 words or less.
  3. Gather support!
  4. If your idea receives over 100 votes in 90 days, we will respond.
    If not, we will close it.

Want to engage further? Please visit the SharePoint Community

Note: we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. In document library search

I am missing the "In document library search" which was availlable in the classic experience of the document library.

57 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Managed navigation for new library expreience

Let us continue to use managed metadata term set navigation instead of global navigaton in the new library view.

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Direct link to document

Give the ability to retrieve a direct link to a file like was shown in the callout. If you want to use a html/txt file as source in a Content Editor webpart, you have to manually type the url because the generated links using Get a Link won't work.

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. No Search Bars

This new view does not have the search bars. We have spent a lot of time teaching our staff to use the search bars. (There used to be two: one to search for files within current folder and one to search the entire site.) Please give them back!!!

51 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Missing ribbon menu, missing functions

Where's the menu (ribbon) in the new look? Without menu there're many IMPORTANT functions missing.

Please find a way to put back full functions. Otherwise the SharePoint is NOT USABLE in a real business environment.

67 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Download Multiples

'Copy To' feature should allow user to select and save multiples to desktop or any computer location. Why can I only download one at a time, but I can upload multiples? It should allow drag/drop of multiples either direction, especially since Open with Explorer option is no longer available.

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. document metadata

make the metadata panel for a given document readily accessible

80 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Url link

It would be nice to be able to get a shortcut to the file url, as previously. (regression)

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Document settings in new document library experience

Link to document library settings is missing

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Customize SharePoint Email Alert Templates

Allow the site collection admins to customize the template for the standard SharePoint alerts. The current email alerts are confusing, provide too much information to the user and are out-of-date style-wise.

Allow the admins to add common fields, i.e. "Title", "Created By", and include an image and hyperlinks. Also allow adding a CSS style sheet.

552 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Hide Collaborators

Our users would like to share the same Folder/Document with customers, but do not want the customers to know each other. Box.com has a feature, “Hide Collaborators” to support this use case. We would like to request a similar feature in SharePoint Online.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Provide an option to disable the "Share" button.

The Share button breaks inheritance on an item, and without warning to the user. With the default Permission Level of "Edit" in Team Sites, you can quickly have 100's or 1000's of items with unique permissions. Going forward, any permissions granted at the library or site level can create a situation where new users will see all of the content in a library, except for those with unique permissions.

I would like to be able to disable (hide) the Share buttons at various tiers such as library, site, site collection or web application/tenant.

1,073 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

69 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Group by Content Type

Allow grouping by Content Type within lists and libraries, just like we could in SharePoint 2007!

241 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add tree view functionality

Add the tree view navigation to the new document library view. When I go to the new document library UI, the tree view navigation goes away.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Picture Rating

Please add picture rating column or bar or something so I can rate pictures while slide them

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Easy way to unlock documents

Would it be possible or feasible to place an item in the menu or a button on the main ribbon to unlock a document? I have a document that is locked for offline viewing and I cannot make any changes to this document.

What make this frustrating is that I am being told by Office 365 that I am editing this document offline. I have restarted my one drive, my computer and all of my open documents on my laptop. I don't understand why this continues to happen but, it would be nice to have a simple fix.

Bottom line,…

86 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Drag and Drop UI consistency

The Drag and Drop UI seems clumsy for files into libraries. It seems you have to position the dropped item right on the dividing bar between the library header and the document list for drag and drop to work (at least in IE 11, in chrome dropping anywhere on the library seems to work). NOTE that the prompt at the top of the page says drag to any location but it doesn't really mean what is says, since the drop only works for the library itself. Not for example to other libraries listed on the nav bar.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Dont remove "Open with Explorer" in SPO and OneDrive for Mapped network drive

Open with Explorer should stay in OneDrive and SharePoint both

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add Favorite function

It seems like the new interface doesn't let you Favorite a document. Delve is the only way I can favorite it at this point. Is this by design?

132 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Syncing Folders instead of libraries

It would be great if the 'sync' option can be similar to OneDrive where we could sync one folder at a time. Syncing a whole library with the limitations is a problem. We encounter too many sync issues and it takes a long time.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base