SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

Sites and Collaboration

Welcome! This is your place to suggest ideas or vote for ideas for improving the SharePoint Sites and Collaboration experience.

How to submit a new idea

1. Check if it's already been suggested. If it has, vote for it.
  2. If it's new, submit it in 50 words or less.
  3. Gather support!
  4. If your idea receives over 100 votes in 90 days, we will respond.
    If not, we will close it.

Want to engage further? Please visit the SharePoint Community

Note: we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 11 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add Share button for entire list/library

Hello,
    Can we get a Share Button added to the default view of a list or library that will share the entire library using the same interface as the individual document/list item? Currently to Share an entire list or library you have to go into the list/library settings and manage the permissions.

Possibly this is by design, but if it was added maybe add a warning that by sharing this will give access to all items in this list? Or do you guys do it because inheritance gets broken when sub items are shared?

30 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add "Download a Copy" to "Get a link" options

Within a team/group/sharepoint site we are able to "Get a link" for documents stored in a document library within one of those sites. When I click get a link, I get a URL as follows:

https://travismathew.sharepoint.com/sites/corpsalesteam/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?docid=11584311cc4ce4d7ca41ebd0286eefb95&authkey=AScTJfwGWWN6CqKfwr0Aoo0&expiration=2017-06-16T18%3a24%3a29.000Z

This takes the user directly to a document in the Word Online view. I can then change the guestaccess.aspx part of the URL to download.aspx and the URL now functionally allows a user to download a copy of the document.

Making manual modifications to this URL is not effective, and there should be a way for users to easily click "Get a link" and…

59 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. change folder icon picture

you should be able to change folder icon to a customized picture

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow users to stop sharing folder

Allow users to stop sharing folder. Currently, users with "Edit" permissions can share files and folders. They can stop sharing files but cannot stop sharing folders. At the moment, the user needs to contact a SharePoint Admin to stop the sharing of any folder they might have shared.

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Allow external users to sync document libraries

External users are unable to sync document libraries unless they are individually given read access to the root SharePoint site. External users should be able to sync documents without this step.

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Implement Consistent Check-In Behavior in Modern Document Libraries

Currently in the Modern Library interface there are several ways to upload/add files. This is great as users need to use the option they are most comfortable with.

However, in the situation that a library has a required column in the library there is differences in what happens based on what the user does.

If a user creates a file with the new button, the interface will create the file and set it to “Checked out”.

If a user uploads a file using the upload button (or drags/drops a single file) the file will upload and be set to “Checked…

31 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow Content Types to contain Multiple Templates

When using the Modern interface, the New Button contains a way to create several types of Office documents (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and assign them to the default content type (I.e. Document).

When you add a custom Content Type to the library these options disappear and are replaced by the option to add only the Content Types (and Link/Folder).

It would be helpful if Content Types (minimally) had the ability to select if you wanted these options to appear when adding a custom content type (possibly when you didn't supply a template).

Ideally, it would be nice if you could…

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Drag&Drop File Move/Copy Function

Drag&Drop Move/Copy functions in document library. It is pretty frustrating to have to manually navigate to the destination folder every time I need to move a file.

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Smart Filter vs Column Filter should show same filter options

Using the smart filter vs the filter in the column gives you different results (see link below)

These columns are set to multiple choice and as you can see the smart filter merges the choice into a string and you cannot filter by these at all, while the simple column filter gives expected results.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint-Blog/Introducing-SmartFilters-for-Modern-Document-Libraries/bc-p/51510#M253

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. New Document Library Experience In place record

It would be very important to include the "Declare record" action back to new experience action (from the old ribbon).

Today it is one of the blocker for my client for exemple.

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Automatically create albums in a SharePoint picture libraries

Onedrive can automatically create albums based on pictures metadata; we should be able to achieve this in an intranet -> in a SharePoint picture libraries

54 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Sticky Headers

It would be great if the headings of a document library or list scroll down the page when you are scrolling down the list/library (sticky headings).
    I currently use Jquery in the old experience to do this but the new experience does not allow Jquery and does not have a built in sticky header feature.

46 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. "Modern" Libraries Should Respect "List Experience" Setting

The List experience setting in List Settings / Advanced Settings seems to generally be ignored. I suspect that the user preference from one library is set with a cookie and that choice then applies to some other libraries, even across tenants.

If you'd like us to use the "modern" library pages, we need a reliable way to turn them on and off - whether for all users or just for ourselves.

This inconsistent behavior makes it extremely hard to debug issues, not to mention explain the value of the "modern" libraries in the first place.

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Getting back Connecting with Office

I would like to get the functionality back in Office 2016 to be able to upload document templates connected to the library you are connecting. If its not planned the button in the ribbon for connecting to office don't have a meaning.

43 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Ability to set 'Tile' or 'List' as a default view

Please allow libraries to be show in List view by default.

I don't mind tile view, but when I got to all the trouble of setting up columns and mandatory fields and it displays tiles by default for each new user, all the power of the document library metadata is hidden.

This happened for me when the library contained only PDFs

617 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

70 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Share multiple documents at once.

It would be great to be able to share multiple documents at once.

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. New Experience - Drag & Drop into meta-data grouping from desktop

I have a document library with meta-data associated and they appear in a grouped by view. This meta-data field is mandatory.

Currently when i drag & drop from the desktop, it creates the list item without associating the meta-data. I must then perform another action to tag the content & check the file in. Very annoying & time consuming.

It would be great if i could drag & drop directly to the grouping of existing content and SharePoint would automaticaly set the values for this new item based on where i'm drag & dropping.

This would save users a great…

68 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. durable links

Durable links should be valid even after any action like rename doc/rename lib/move across webs/move across site collections....and so on.
    There was a lot of promises but now Durable links are not better then Document ID. They are worse.

Make it useful not useless. Lets make documents durable links really durable. I don't care how the technology is called. Me and our customers really need solid technology that is available already on different platforms. Why you don't you use search to be used if document is moved across site collection? Why only Microsoft documents reflect Durable links? Why there is…

69 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. SharePoint file upload issue

SharePoint document library upload issue in new interface - file gets stuck and page has to be refreshed. apparently not an issue but doesn't happen in the old interface on any browser , happens on all browsers on new interface in windows 10 1607.

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base