SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

Sites and Collaboration

Welcome! This is your place to suggest ideas or vote for ideas for improving the SharePoint Sites and Collaboration experience.

How to submit a new idea

1. Check if it's already been suggested. If it has, vote for it.
  2. If it's new, submit it in 50 words or less.
  3. Gather support!
  4. If your idea receives over 100 votes in 90 days, we will respond.
    If not, we will close it.

Want to engage further? Please visit the SharePoint Community

Note: we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Prevent a new Team in Teams from automatically creating a new Library in SharePoint

At present, every new Team creates a brand new Library which quickly means that document and user access control goes out of control.
    In order to safely create a Team, it is necessary to:
    - create the Team
    - go to the associated Library and change permissions so that nobody can access it (this automatically means that any documents uploaded in Teams will be inaccessible, and it is impossible to remove the 'Files' link)
    - create anew tab in Teams linking as a web page link to the appropriate Folder in the right Library, or using SharePoint if linking to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Copy Link to View not Edit

If you copy a link to a document in modern it gives you the link to edit. We need a way to select a link to the view.

After pasting the url into the browser you can then change Action=default to action=view but most users won't do that.

Formatting is different between the two views so there are cases where originators don't want to send people directly to the edit view.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Apply retention on pending documents

I have a library with documents to be approved.
    I apply a retention on this library to automatically delete documents X days after their creation.

But the retention does not apply to the pending documents only on approvals documents. I understand why. But I need for this case to apply the retention even on pending documents.

Could we have an option to do this?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Make it possible to dele document set default content on sites with NoScript enabled

It's not possible to delete default content in document sets on sites with NoScript enabled. It's possible for users to add default content on sites when NoScript is enabled. This makes it impossible to change or remove default content from document sets unless NoScript is disabled on the site.
    This effectively renders the entire document set functionality useless as default content can't be used.
    This is a bug and should be fixed.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Syncing SharePoint Folder with Microsoft Teams Channel

Share only relevant folder from a document library to a Microsoft teams channels. We have created channels with external consultants as visitors and only want them to be able to view the topic folder they are involved in and not all folders within the document library

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Enable creating new files in office online when IRM feature is enabled

The file->new document menu by default will try to launch office online web to new the document. However office online doesn’t work with the IRM yet, so we can’t even launch office online and as such this code path is blocked.

Below is the workaround suggested
    1. Go to library settings->advanced settings
    2. Select “open in office client”

This setting will be good for IRM enabled library anyway since office online is not supported. And once that’s on, users can new file in Office client.

Can this be enabled to work in office online as well for the IRM enabled…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Unable to create office files with new document button option in IRM enabled library

The file->new document menu by default will try to launch office online web to new the document. However office online doesn’t work with the IRM yet, so we can’t even launch office online and as such this code path is blocked.

Can this option be added in future roadmap to make it work in office onlie

Below is the workaround suggested
    1. Go to library settings->advanced settings
    2. Select “open in office client”

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Generate Thumbnails for Visio files stored in Libraries

Thumbnails (to not confuse with previews) are available for files in PDF, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Email, etc. For Visio files (vsdx), nothing is showing up. If I want to have thumbnails, I need to also save my Visio as PDF, extra work.

My request is then to be able to see thumbnails for Visio files when showing a SharePoint library (or OneDrive) in Tile view, or when adding the "Thumbnail" column to the library.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. I want to be able to adjust the size of each window in the SharePoint site.

*English follows Japanese

■Title(件名):
    SharePoint サイト内の各ウィンドウサイズを調整できるよう希望します。

I want to be able to adjust the size of each window in the SharePoint site.

SharePoint サイト内でフローの実行をする際に表示されるウィンドウにて、入力する文字が多いと表示されない部分がある。
    ウィンドウのサイズを任意で調整できるよう機能の追加を希望します。

In the window displayed when executing a flow in a SharePoint site, there is a part that is not displayed if there are many characters to enter.
    Make it possible to adjust the size of the window arbitrarily.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add option to only display “Edit grid view” to site collection admins, and hide it from other users

■Title(件名):
    [グリッドビューでの編集] をサイト コレクション管理者には表示し、その他のユーザーには非表示にする機能の実装を希望します。
    Add option to only display “Edit grid view” to site collection admins, and hide it from other users

■Description(内容):
    SharePoint のドキュメントライブラリのリボンに表示される [グリッドビューでの編集] を非表示にする場合、アクセス許可の権限から "アイテムの編集" の権限を外すことによって制御できる。
    しかし、”アイテムの編集” 権限を削除すると、アイテムの編集が行えない動作となってしまうので、別の方法を希望します。
    アイテムの編集も行うことができ、なおかつ、ライブラリの [グリッドビューでの編集] も非表示にできる機能の実装を希望します。

If you want to hide the “Edit in grid view” item that is normally shown in the SharePoint document library ribbon, it is possible to enact this by removing the “Edit items” permission from access rights.
    However, removing the “Edit items” permission prevents the editing of items, so we would like another method.
    Please make it possible to hide the “Edit in grid…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Retain existing readonly field values in SharePoint on a listitem during the copy process

Currently SharePoint does not retain existing read-only field values on a document list item when it is replaced during the copy process (through standard context menu copy or download/upload scenario) by a document with a similar name.
    Please fix this, so read-only values are preserved and not overwritten.
    And also please preserve the internal version history of a list item during the copy process (through standard context menu copy), since currently a replace copy action effectively means that the target list item is deleted and then a new item add occurs so all the internal version history is deleted in…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add ability for Site Owners to download a document's viewing information enabled by Manage Site Features - SharePoint Viewers

Currently, the information presented when you enable "SharePoint Viewers" is display only. It would be a huge benefit for Site Owners to be able to download a CSV containing 1) Viewer's Name 2) Date/Time viewed - may be multiple times 3) Time viewed (optional) 4) If edited (optional)

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add Approve/Reject button in Word online View only

When opening a document to Approve or Deny it. SharePoint opens the file in ReadOnly mode, however to approve it you have to exit back to the SharePoint list and Click the 3 dots on the list item.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow Modern libraries to better support customized templates

Hi,
    For the Document Library set as "Modern", when I create a new document from the button "New", it opens in Word.

But the connection with SharePoint is lost : the AutoSave is off and when saving the document, we are getting a pop-up asking to connect to OneDrive.

However, for the same Doc Lib, in mode "Classic SharePoint", it creates the document in the browser (not any more in Word), and then if we edit the document in Word, the AutoSave is on !
    And the SharePoint properties panel is loading in Word.

The issue looks like it's coming…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Function to display parent folder names in document libraries

■Title(件名):
    ドキュメント ライブラリで親フォルダ名を表示する機能について
    Function to display parent folder names in document libraries

■Description(内容):
    ドキュメント ライブラリのビューの設定において "フォルダー" - "フォルダーまたはフラット形式: " - "フォルダーなしですべてのアイテムを表示する" を設定した場合、アイテムの一覧から親フォルダーの判別がつかない状況です。
    複数のフォルダーのアイテムを横断的に検索する運用を想定しておりますが、現状の機能では親フォルダー名を表示する機能がありません。
    フォルダーを表示させない環境でも親フォルダーの名前を取得し表示させる機能の実装を希望します。

In the view settings for document libraries, if you set it to “Folder” – “Folder or Flat Format” – “Show all items without folders”, you cannot identify parent folders for the list of items.
    It can be assumed that items in multiple different folders can be searched for, but currently there is no way to display parent folder names.
    Please allow us to get parent folder names even in environments without folders.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Fix Bug: Fully Load PDFs from Externally Shared Link

Externally Shared PDFs Don't Fully Load with Link!

I have a PDF report in a SharePoint Online document library. The report has links in it, some to public/external sites but some are to internal files, also PDFs, also in the same library. (They're supporting documents for report.)

I've shared the library with myself as an external user (using a Gmail address), view-only, since we need to share the report externally and have both the external and internal links work. Using the Windows login associated with my Gmail account on a separate machine, I can view and access the folder/library that…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Edit Properties while document is open

Have the ability to edit the custom Properties of a document in a Sharepoint Library while the document is open in Excel/Word/PowerPoint Online. Currently if you try to change a property while another has the document open online, it will tell you the file is locked.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Fix ability to show different view when inside a folder

From what I've read this is existing functionality that is currently broken within the modern list experience. I would like to see it fixed so that I can set a default view for the root library folder and then have a different default view when navigating the sub-folders. In my case, the root would contain a folder or each customer, and then within each folder I'd like the view to group by Location and Project number. Then within each document set filter by document type.

The settings seem to be available, but are just not functioning properly.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add the Forms for Excel option in the New menu of a document library on non-M365 group sites

Currently the Forms for Excel option in the New menu of a document library is only available on Team sites that have a M365 group associated with it. Please add this option for Communication sites and Team sites with no M365 group.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Introduce Sharing column for SharePoint libraries

In the OneDrive web experience, the Sharing column makes it very clear which documents are private (inherit standard permissions) and those which have been shared with others (i.e. with broken permission inheritance).

It would be fantastic to replicate this "binary" Shared / Not Shared experience in the modern SharePoint library for team files. As of today, the Shared With column causes much user confusion, displaying when a file has been previously shared outside of the team (i.e. with broken inheritance). However, any Shared With values displayed persist, even when the document's permissions are reset to inherit from the site.

Thank…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base