SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

Sites and Collaboration

Welcome! This is your place to suggest ideas or vote for ideas for improving the SharePoint Sites and Collaboration experience.

How to submit a new idea

1. Check if it's already been suggested. If it has, vote for it.
  2. If it's new, submit it in 50 words or less.
  3. Gather support!
  4. If your idea receives over 100 votes in 90 days, we will respond.
    If not, we will close it.

Want to engage further? Please visit the SharePoint Community

Note: we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable scheduling of posts for the News Section

In Sharepoint Communication Sites -

- Allow the option to schedule posts for the News Section.

- Allow the option to change the published date for posts in the News Section (e.g. if you need to back-date something).

- Allow the option to change the publishing user on News posts (e.g if you're publishing something on behalf of a team member, but want their name displayed, not yours)

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Communication Sites  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Anchor Links or Collapsing Sections

It would be helpful to have sections that collapse, tabs, or anchor links for pages that contain lots of information. Word allows you to create bookmarks, and OneNote allows you to create tabs to easily navigate lots of information on a given topic. It would be great if you had the same flexibility with a page in SharePoint

907 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

119 comments  ·  Modern Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Publish a modern page on a given time

My users would like the ability to publish a modern page on a given time. Now it is only possible to publish a page directly. Make it possible to publish a modern page on time the user (optionally) enters in a datetime field.

192 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Modern Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Printing Modern pages

Need a way to print modern pages, without the navigation pane etc.

316 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Modern Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Improve Highlighted content web part to support custom content types and their custom columns

I'd like to show users documents from an another site (different o365 group site). I came across the Highlighted content web part which is a very flexible and potentially useful function. However I can not filter my documents with it as it
    1 does not show custom content type at the type or document type filters (even though my content type is directly inheriting Document), and does not lists my documents either (basically being Documents because of the inheritance)
    2 can not select custom columns of my content type at the managed property filter.

153 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Modern Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. New Communication SIte - Add Categories to News Articles

Categorize and filter news articles on new publishing site
    Ability to select category (or multiple) for a news article when you create it. Plus the ability to filter the news widget by category.
    Exactly like you can for events. Plus the ability to select multiple categories if you choose.

204 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Communication Sites  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow existing site pages to be added to the "News"

I see these pages have a "Promoted State" and "FirstPublishedDate" that are used to determine if a page should be shown as News, but these properties cannot be changed. I want to be able to take an existing site page, and publish it as News.

Alternatively, you could let me publish news to a library separate from the site pages so I'm not cluttering my wiki page library.

48 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

working on it  ·  2 comments  ·  Modern Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Ability to resize images on modern pages

I'd like to be able to resize an image directly from the modern pages image webpart. This is really annoying that the pages are so easy to create but that you can't control the image size on the page.

639 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

36 comments  ·  Web Parts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

While we’ve added the ability to crop images and display specific aspect ratios (by clicking on the image); however, the column size (1/3, 1/2, 2/3, etc.) the page author has selected decides the size of all the web parts in that section.

We are looking at ways to make this more flexible for images, without making it odd for other web parts, but haven’t finalized our approach yet.

9. Multilingual Communication Sites

Including support would be needed.

My client has a legal requirement for using software, intranets that is Bi-Lingual.

Communication sites are really great way to building new Intranets quickly but this is a critical feature for adoption.

516 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Communication Sites  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are happy to share that we are actively working on it. We will be sharing more details about the plans at the SharePoint conference in Vegas.

Here is the MS road map item

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=50217

Here’s the session we’ll share more details.

https://sharepointna.com/#!/session/Multilingual%20and%20other%20advanced%20publishing%20systems%20in%20modern%20SharePoint/3550

10. Set "Communication Site" as Root site collection

For organisations that would like to use Communication site as their intranet it would be great if you could provision the root site as a Communication site, rather than a team site with a redirect to the communication site.

There is a workaround as mentioned here but i'd prefer a Microsoft supported method https://hangconsult.com/2017/06/29/change-sharepoint-online-root-site-collection-to-use-the-new-communication-site-template/

1,074 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

70 comments  ·  Communication Sites  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Enable Audience targeting on modern page web parts

It would be great to be able to target content by Audience (using global audiences and SharePoint groups) on the modern web parts just like we were able on the classic pages. Thanks

829 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

138 comments  ·  Modern Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Make rename in Teams reflect name changes in Sharepoint?

When I rename a folder in the Teams app, the underlying folder is not renamed in sharepoint. This is most confusing.

2,189 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

168 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add managed metadata as filter option in Highlighted Content webpart in Modern Pages

Filter options now only include title or content search, and managed properties.

Adding managed metadata will improve this powerful webpart!

102 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

working on it  ·  1 comment  ·  Web Parts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Publish post to Microsoft Teams

Please allow news or post to be published to Microsoft Teams.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

working on it  ·  0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Possibility to set warnings on the new Sharepoint news from sites page

It would be great to have the option to receive notifications on the new Sharepoint "News from sites" page so we’d be able to manage notifications on a per site basis through the individual sharepoint sites.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

working on it  ·  3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Push notifications for news on mobile phone for sites that I follow

We are using the SharePoint Online Modern News feature. We love it. I've got the SharePoint Online Android app installed on my smartphone. I follow a few sites. I would like that the app sends me a push notification message on my phone for all new news articles that exist on sites that I follow. Would be so nice!!! Thanks guys!!

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

working on it  ·  0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. News Comments

Need to have comments and likes for SharePoint News

63 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

working on it  ·  4 comments  ·  Modern Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Highlighted Content Web Part - Add AND OR for multiple filters

Adding multiple filters defaults to OR. In other words adding multiple filters finds more items, rather than finding the intersection of the two filters. You need to be able to specify AND or OR between multiple filters in the web part.

156 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Metadata  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Prioritize large list management in SharePoint Online

Large list management has to become a priority. Even with the most thought out and careful planning, inevitably something will come up and you need to make a change to a list or library. Once that goes over 5,000 items, it becomes impossible to do anything management related to the list, which actually hinders it's use. Users can continually add files, but you can't do anything to help them.

This has to be addressed in some fashion, whether it is allowing APIs like REST and CSOM to bypass this restriction so they can perform basic administrative operations or giving us…

339 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Lists  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone, I’m happy to announce that the ability to add indexes to lists of any size is available to SharePoint Online customers as of March 2018. You can now go to “Indexed columns” in List or Library Settings page, and add indexes even if your list has more than 5,000 items. For up to 20,000 items, the indexing should be near instantaneous. For lists with more than 20,000 items, indexing will use a background process and may take some time, usually minutes, but possibly longer if there are a lot of items and if SharePoint is busy serving other requests. Similarly, you are also able to remove indexes that you no longer need.

We are continuing to work on making larger lists work better, so we will keep this item open. Please don’t hesitate to send feedback if you are running into issues while managing your large lists, and…

20. Freeze Column Headers

Would love to see the ability to freeze column headers at the top of the page when a user scrolls through a long list.

1,274 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

164 comments  ·  Lists  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As of March 2019, this feature should be available to 50% of users in Targeted Release. The rollout to all users is continuing, but there are several features included together in this one and we’ve paused the rollout a few times to accomodate changes based on feedback to the other features. New ETA for reaching all users is April 2019.

Note this feature will only apply to modern doclib and list UX in SharePoint Online

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base