SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Overview of applied content types

Content types are an essential part of SharePoint. One issue that has been around since SharePoint 2007 is the absence of an overview of all applied content types. Why is this important? Try to delete a content type and you get the message it's still in use. Good luck finding out where. This is very frustrating and time consuming. That's why I vote for an overview where you can see where the content types are applied.

271 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jasper Oosterveld (Office Apps and Services MVP) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

A consolidated admin view of where published content types are being used is still being evaluated, but for folks voting for the related use case of “better creation and management of content types” please refer to site designs (aka.ms/spsitedesigns) as a modern mechanism to create/apply content types to site libraries. We are also looking at how this could be more easily supported from hub sites.

12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Tom Burke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Something visual would be fantastic here, like a network chart/mind-map showing what lists/libraries a content type is associated to. At the very least, a tree view showing the same info.

• Jay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well usage property already exists for site content types. It's certainly not hard to implement. I've written a migration script that uses this attribute to see where specific CT's are used then migrate them for various scenarios.

• A.Z. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there! I am so interested in updates to "better creation and Management of Content types", too! Pls share!

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news on this? With all the new improvements on metadata in the modern experience, some visibility on content types and the CT Hub would be great!

• John McCaffrey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just want to add that hopefully it will be a link added to the Manage Content type page and in the Content Type Hub a listing on the Publish Content type page. Burying it in the audit log reporting UI would be as inconvenient as running a PS script. In general, would like to see more audit reports "in context".

• Julie Turner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Certainly something that would be nice to have in the site content types and site columns lists themselves.

• Stefan Bauer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea! Not everyone have access to powershell to get that information out and actually this information is already stored with the Content Type Information.

• sympmarc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Issues like this are great for "partner opportunities", but they are horrible for end users.

Feedback and Knowledge Base