SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Open Adobe PDF in client application

Office 365 / SharePoint online needs to support opening PDF documents in SharePoint directly to client application (Adobe Acrobat Pro/DC).

As of this request, technical support has stated the only way to open PDF files in Acrobat is to download/save them.

SharePoint On Premise has supported this feature for some time.

Adobe PDF files are as common and Microsoft Office Suite documents and must be editable directly to/from SharePoint Online without the need to down/save edit, and upload which adds user overhead and lowers productivity.

1,720 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Cory Candia shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

173 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Nicole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with hundreds of other users, this is something that MUST be fixed. Please at least create a setting where you can choose to open in Client PDF or Online PDF. As mentioned in other comments, I go to great lengths to create and organize bookmarks and now they're not even available to the end users.

• Sarnst commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How come my pdf's open in a non usable online version of Adobe and not in the applications we run? This when having them stored on SharePoint online. now users have to open the file per windows explorer in order to be able to edit them :-(

• Ryan Mills commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our firm has hundreds of users who open, edit, and save PDF files on a minute-to-minute basis, as they are dealing with several clients at once. Having to download the PDF file, edit it, save it, then upload and overwrite it to a document library takes much more time than being able to click the file in SharePoint Online, have it open with our designated application, edit it, then close to save. Unfortunately, without this feature, it is a complete show-stopper for our planned migration to SharePoint Online from our network shares. Please implement this feature as soon as possible!

• Vinay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wanted to open PDF files directly to the client application, because there is no point in downloading files and uploading again to the SharePoint document library. I really want with Microsoft to considered this.

• Stefanie Pollock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is seriously a MUST HAVE feature. Right now, using SharePoint at work for construction, maintenance and turnover projects, not being able to open files directly into a PDF program seriously causes issues, frustration and annoyances. 90% of the documents we utilize are PDF files, such as drawings, maps, and Inspection and Test Plans. These are often scanned due to wet signature requirements, and markups/red lines need to be made on the PDF file itself. And when you have large PDF files which contain bookmarks that you need to check or utilize, you cannot do so opening up the PDF in the browser! Being unable to open a PDF in client application is the biggest draw back to utilizing SharePoint, and really needs to be considered/addressed.

• Shawn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every Enterprise organization globally requires this feature capability. The user experience for executives is incredibly poor. And let's add the ability to annotate while we are at it please.

• Stefan Van de Velde commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Opening of pdf-files from SharePoint online into applications of user's choice should definitely be possible, as it is/was from SharePoint 2010.

At our company users need to annotate pdf files with personal notes for which they may use Acrobar Reader, PDF XChange Editor or PDF-Expert (on iPad) or to add an electronic signature
    Users also need to be able multiple pdf's for merging purposes etc

Please fix ASAP! thanks

• abroeren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix this. At least give us a choice to open a PDF in the client. PLEASE.

• barbara.garrett@swfwmd.state.fl.us commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Opening in File Explorer using Internet Explorer puts the library into "SharePoint classic" when it was in "New Experience". It is very confusing to end-users and it is an extra step to open in File Explorer.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the meantime you can still open the desired file folder in File Explorer using Internet Explorer. Opening PDFs from there asks to check the document out and the changes are saved.

• Anne Goldenberger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really really irksome - I've put a lot of work into creating useful bookmarks in my PDF files that make it super-easy for users to navigate complex documents. And now - even though I set the PDF file to open with bookmarks panel and page - they see just the page. Browsers don't get the message :-(
    It's a LOT of extra steps to download and open the file just to see the bookmarks. And most users won’t bother, meaning they’ll spend the extra time wading through the document….please fix this!

• Chris Gray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any update from Microsoft on this one ?

Adobe seems to "work" but worried about security and files ending up outside our tenant

Also cant seem to markup PDF's with the adobe cloud version

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Encrypted (RMS / AIP / IRM) pdf files are needed to open via Acrobat Reader. (Browser doesn't have the capability to decrypt protected content.)

BUT, SharePoint doesn't allow to open file on Acrobat Reader.

No solution...

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base