SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Open Adobe PDF in client application

Office 365 / SharePoint online needs to support opening PDF documents in SharePoint directly to client application (Adobe Acrobat Pro/DC).

As of this request, technical support has stated the only way to open PDF files in Acrobat is to download/save them.

SharePoint On Premise has supported this feature for some time.

Adobe PDF files are as common and Microsoft Office Suite documents and must be editable directly to/from SharePoint Online without the need to down/save edit, and upload which adds user overhead and lowers productivity.

1,356 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Cory Candia shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

148 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Roxie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you disable the Adobe Reader in the Manage Add Ons (Settings>Manage Add Ons> All Add Ons), this will open PDFs in the native application

• Ian Howe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The longer my company is on Office 365/SharePoint Online the more I'm regretting we ever made the move to it. Issues like this and many, many other SHOULD NOT EXIST.

• Tina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please work on a fix for this problem. Users want to be able to edit PDF files directly from SharePoint as they did in previous versions. Thanks, Tina

• Timon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've just migrated to SharePoint Online and this is a frustration for our users. Please fix this MS!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We just migrated from Box and box would open all documents in the native application include adobe reader or acrobat depending on which app the client PC had as the default

• Meg94 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Truly this is a huge weakness. This lack of ability causes us to unnecessarily sync libraries.

• JoeD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Funny, Nadella touts the MS-Adobe partnership on stage at Ignite, but SPO can't even use Acrobat any more. I even stopped by the Adobe booth at Ignite and asked them about it, and they had no idea what I was talking about, then tried to sell me on their Sign product... LOL.

• Irritated commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please for the love of all that is Business IT include the ability to edit PDF's from the library. How hard is it to open a PDF in the Adobe client? It seems with every new iteration of SharePoint Microsoft touts all of this new cool stuff, but FAILS miserably in reading what client needs are. The client needs are basic and more and more M$oft is dropping the ball. What will be the next thing nearly everyone uses that will be broken, taken away, or deprecated? PLEASE AT LEAST GIVE US THE ABILITY TO USE THE ADOBE CLIENT!!!

• Microsoft User commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This does seem to be a very basic failing. The prevalence of .pdf files would suggest that this is one of the absolute requirements. All office files can be opened in either the browser or the installed application (obviously) but surely allowing the file to be opened with an installed Adobe product must be an option? Especially as it opens the file in the current browser window and not a new tab/window, which makes looking at more than one file at a time a real problem.

This functionality would be greatfully received.

• Stephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can set Adobe to open a Documents Library and can open PDFs into Adobe directly from SharePoint. I cannot open a file into Adobe when I am in SharePoint.

If I am in Adobe, I open a Library and get an unsorted, unfiltered view of all the documents, it is not helpful. I need to be able to use the views in SharePoint to locate a document, click on it and for that document to open in Adobe Acrobat.

I would even live with the ability to open a PDF currently open in the browser in Adobe.

Either SPO or Edge needs to be fixed to do this.

:-/

• Rob Nicholson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Indeed - probably up there in the top 5 SharePoint document library gripes compared to working with File Explorer locally or on a traditional file server. We need that "Open with" functionality - PDFs are top of the list but opening graphics files in your favourite graphics editor is also in the mix.

Instead, my clients set-up huge numbers of network locations using the very flaky WebDAV technology. I've had to write them a complex script that sets up network locations for them...

• dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This request is over two years old (and in the top 3) and not a peep from Microsoft on this? This needs to be addressed.

• Francis Laurin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I built a *workaround* for a client after a big migration project that almost ended with failure when we found this absurd limitation after the fact. It involves two things:
        -Javascript that changes the protocol https:// to an arbitrary protocol such as "acrobatpdf://" for every PDF file links.
        -A Windows registry key that handles the protocol "acrobatpdf://" to open the PDF program with the proper URL in argument, using a couple of PowerShell commands.

It works in classic only, but in all browsers. It could be adapted using a SPFx Extension...

Private message me on Twitter @pzkfwg if you need my professional services. Thanks!

• Grace Banks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This lack of integration does make it harder to gain buy-in from your organization. The efficiency of SharePoint is attractive, but it should be able to play nice with others, such as Adobe, to maximize it's effectiveness for consumers.

• Johanna Wight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Office 365 / SharePoint online needs to support opening PDF documents in SharePoint directly to client application (Adobe Acrobat Pro/DC). It also needs to support opening links to the files in SharePoint for any application to open directly to client application. Why are upgrades more like downgrades lately!

• Wim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is there no response from Microsoft on this very important feature?

Being able to comment on pdf's and signing them is daily business in my company and in many others.... I work for a very large company generating and editing hundreds of thousands of documents each year, a very larg portion of them are pdf's. But nobody will start using Teams or Sharepoint full scale if this feature is not supported...

• Leptosin Herbal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate
      • Jim Duncan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Out of curiosity, what's so special about PDF files that we still need to use them over Office documents?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base