SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Enable renaming the site collection URLs

Currently the site collection URLs are fixed as https://tenant.sharepoint.com and cannot be changed. This does not fit with flexible cloud-based solutions - business needs will inevitably result in an organisation changing it's name during its lifetime (mergers, acquisitions, rebranding etc). While it may not be possible to change it so that entirely custom domains are used (eg contoso.com, instead of sharepoint.com), it must be possible to allow the sub-domain to be changed (eg. newtenant.sharepoint.com)? Please?

Migrating an entire organisation (likely to include Exchange, Skype, Sharepoint and Onedrive data!!) to a new Tenancy is absolutely not a viable option.

3,453 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dan Furse shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! Just a note to let you know that we’re building your suggestion now. We plan to increase availability to this feature throughout 2019.

Corporate lifecycle is a real and constant pressure in business, often resulting in a need to rename the Office 365 Tenant. To that end we are working on the solution to change the SharePoint domain URL (contoso.sharepoint.com renamed to fabrikam.sharepoint.com). This capability will also then enable the renaming of an individual site collection (contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/abc to contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/xyz).

While we don’t have an estimated delivery date to share at this time, we’ll update your suggestion with details as they become available.

Matthew Carlson
Microsoft

409 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Steven Tyler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am very glad to hear this... It turns out that when someone registers a domain for a *TRIAL* that domain can never be used again.

We just inquired about changing ours, and were told someone used it in a trial 6 years ago... sorry.

Tenant name change is an absolute requirement; and if a name is used in a trial it should become available as soon as the trial expires!

• Shaishav Merchant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks, this is an essential feature for growing organization. We have changed our name since 2013, unfortunately, we are still stuck with old company name as a tenant. Hope this feature will release soon.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I placed a support ticket with MS trying to get an update on this feature request back in January. At that time, I was told it was unavailable with no fixed update on when it would be available. In that request, I had provided a link to this entry as they had not provided an update since early 2018. I would really like to see this feature acknowledged on their roadmap. Until then, this latest update feels like more of a public appeasement instead of an attempt to actually work on the issue. This has been something they have acknowledged as far back as 2016, but have yet to produce any official updates. I would encourage anyone else who really needs this feature to also submit something more directly to Microsoft to hopefully elevate the importance of this need. Otherwise, I feel there will never be any headway.

• Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for the recent comment on this Microsoft! I'm desperate for this feature. Attempted to sign up for the pilot program of this, but never heard back unfortunately.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The admin comment is verbatim the same between 1/3/18 and 3/7/19 except that 'We plan to increase availability to this feature throughout 2019.' I'm really hoping that it is real (even though 2019 is 1/4 over). Our company is on the line between going all in on GSuite or Office365 and the cost/time related to a tenant to tenant migration just to get a new name could be the deciding factor. Really need to see something tangible soon!

• Dustin Ruoff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since 2014 we have not able to use Onedrive, Sharepoint, Skype for business or anything that shows the tenant URL because our company name changed but the tenant domain cannot. Please, please, please, let us know what the plan is for this.

• Ian Caldwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tenant name - this is an absolute must. Site name changes - also essential, but an option to have a non-specific name could be even better, so there is no reason to change a site name.

• Robert Symmons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're about to enter Q2 for 2019 and still no update on the original MSFT post. I do wonder if this thread is even being monitored by a MSFT representative. Your customers feel like this has been swept under the rug.

PROVIDE SOME CUSTOMER SERVICE and have the decency to respond at least!

• Disane87 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on Microsoft. As you can clearly see, this is a must have feature and not a "nice to have". How can this be open since almost 3 years? When I get your "Major changes" mails there are pretty often features included, which doesn't have the priority like this issue...

This is really ridiculous.

• aou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow for "mySharePoint.myDomain.com" custom domains for the sharepoint site!

• Dianne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@james I have just signed up for this and will let you know the outcome.

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So after much back and forth with Microsoft support, they sent me a pilot program they are offering. Has anyone here gone down that path yet? Wondering how the results were? Link to take part in SharePoint Tenant Rename Pilot Program:
    https://aka.ms/spo-rename
    Please note that this is a pilot program and we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines.

• Andrew D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is ridiculous this is not implemented yet. What a major oversight. It is now 2019, please implement this now!!

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hopefully this gets finished soon. We opened our Microsoft tenant using a domain that's different from our parent company. Now I'm faced with migrating all of our data and email accounts to just to change our Sharepoint domain.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 20 21

Feedback and Knowledge Base