SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Enable renaming the site collection URLs

Currently the site collection URLs are fixed as https://tenant.sharepoint.com and cannot be changed. This does not fit with flexible cloud-based solutions - business needs will inevitably result in an organisation changing it's name during its lifetime (mergers, acquisitions, rebranding etc). While it may not be possible to change it so that entirely custom domains are used (eg contoso.com, instead of sharepoint.com), it must be possible to allow the sub-domain to be changed (eg. newtenant.sharepoint.com)? Please?

Migrating an entire organisation (likely to include Exchange, Skype, Sharepoint and Onedrive data!!) to a new Tenancy is absolutely not a viable option.

2,878 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dan Furse shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! Just a note to let you know that we’re building your suggestion now.

Corporate lifecycle is a real and constant pressure in business, often resulting in a need to rename the Office 365 Tenant. To that end we are working on the solution to change the SharePoint domain URL (contoso.sharepoint.com renamed to fabrikam.sharepoint.com). This capability will also then enable the renaming of an individual site collection (contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/abc to contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/xyz).

While we don’t have an estimated delivery date to share at this time, we’ll update your suggestion with details as they become available.

Bill Baer MSFT

345 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Marcus Bornestav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are looking forward to this. We recently became a listed company and are putting so much effort and money in the branding. The oldcompany.sharepoint.com domain doesn't look good. It makes me wish that we'd choose something more generic instead.

• Dragan Stojkovic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please enable this renaming option. Optionally can be: after renaming majority of group member approving.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No sure when Bill Baer is going to update everyone since he hasn't updated this forum since Jan 3rd of this year.

I would encourage everyone to contact their Customer Relationship Manager. Microsoft can rename your Sharepoint Online URL but you have to sign a 17 page waiver document to schedule a time for the change to take place. This process is in BETA and Microsoft is not responsible if your tenant has unexpected breakages due to the rename. The document they can provide to you labeled "SharePoint Online URL Rename Limitations & Customer Prerequisites" will guide you through the expected results and the issues they currently have no fix-ups for.

not only for the tenant... if you are sharing folders, sites or sites with other companies (not under the same parent company) this is a problem

• Jason Spiteri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes we have various brands and companies operating under a single global parent company and things like OneDrive are especially needed to have the URL and branding specific to the account in question. We built a single global tenancy because this is simpler to federation and since you can set up staff with varying domains then this was ideal, everything else is less fluid.. Be keen to see when you can setup Any URL to a sharepoint site.. provided you own the domain

• MikaelJones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must. tenant.sharepoint.com is almost the only place where you actually see the tenant name. I understand the complexity since there are a lot of moving parts, not only SharePoint. But giving the possibility to set your own custom name (sharepoint.company.com) would be great even though we realize this would need us to upload a certificate. Hope to have some indication on how you would solve this and when.

Would it be possible to get an update for this? Our customer is stuck with a tenant name based on previous company name, which is not in use any more. This makes change management initiatives challenging in the merger situation. Also documents and emails classification, lablelling and protection project depends on this.

• Gino Ciavarella commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Should be a stock standard feature, absolutely necessary to manage growing businesses. When will this be delivered - branding is important and is changing constantly due to mergers, acquisitions etc.

• Richard Kapelko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So what would happen if i deleted the Domain it is linked to from my account as that business is closed now

• Gio_Geeks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need to add a sharepoint site from my default domain. For example:

Default domain is gio1.com ( existing sharepoint is gio1.sharepoint.com)
        Sub Domain is gio2.com (need to add this another sharepoint site gio2.sharepoint,com)

Please advise

• Billy Roesener commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm interested in this as well. We started with O365 in the middle of 2017 and rebranded at the end of the year. Now I'm starting to get more and more teams in Sharepoint and having oldbrand.sharepoint.com doesn't look good. :(

• Tom R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glad to hear this is in the works. This just became an issue for my company.

• Richard B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For all existing customers of MS, i recommend you submit an O365 Service Request pushing this. We arent going to get anywhere until the support team sees that it is needed from a support standpoint.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18

Feedback and Knowledge Base