SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Enable renaming the site collection URLs

Currently the site collection URLs are fixed as https://tenant.sharepoint.com and cannot be changed. This does not fit with flexible cloud-based solutions - business needs will inevitably result in an organisation changing it's name during its lifetime (mergers, acquisitions, rebranding etc). While it may not be possible to change it so that entirely custom domains are used (eg contoso.com, instead of sharepoint.com), it must be possible to allow the sub-domain to be changed (eg. newtenant.sharepoint.com)? Please?

Migrating an entire organisation (likely to include Exchange, Skype, Sharepoint and Onedrive data!!) to a new Tenancy is absolutely not a viable option.

2,298 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dan Furse shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! Just a note to let you know that we’re building your suggestion now.

Corporate lifecycle is a real and constant pressure in business, often resulting in a need to rename the Office 365 Tenant. To that end we are working on the solution to change the SharePoint domain URL (contoso.sharepoint.com renamed to fabrikam.sharepoint.com). This capability will also then enable the renaming of an individual site collection (contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/abc to contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/xyz).

While we don’t have an estimated delivery date to share at this time, we’ll update your suggestion with details as they become available.

Bill Baer MSFT

272 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please update the status, this is so fundamental. We are about to start a migration from Google, but I already have a lot in a tenant I set up a couple years ago. That name doesn't work anymore and having to do two migrations, tenant to tenant and Google to O365 is unreasonable.

Much needed here as well. I have an old tenant where the name has been auto generated including the name of my previous organization. :/

• Rafiq Ahmed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i need to rename or create a sub domain to my main domain or there should be an option to hide the domain name and just share the files over one drive without displaying the domain name,is this achievable?
        basically i want to hide my domain name or change it to some thing else.some thing like this mentioned below.
        https://xxxxxxx-my.sharepoint.com/:b:/g/personal/syed_wajid_/xxxU5COaVl9CiF3u4SoFEE2cByYZmva9l8O2Ni_OjCSJVOg

Please, need to create different site collection for different school , but same Tenant !!!

• Jonathan H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

agree, any progress update would be appreciated as we are about to start building dept intranet sites online and having friendly short urls is a must.

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about an update on progress? To many businesses this is extremely important and necessary feature, due to changes and mergers as per the Experiences Teams comment. Understanding if this is coming in recent months would help businesses decide if they wish to go down the road of a lengthy and costly unnecessary manual migration.

• Sean Murphy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here Here!

Years ago when I trialed O365 I signed up with "company.sharepoint.com", then a few years later when we actually wanted to move to it full time we had to register "fulllegalname.sharepoint.com".

My users would be ecstatic if I could rename the tenant to the much shorter variant.

• Susan Wright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft 365 is a wonderful solution for Third Sector (charity and Not for Profit) organisations - however this is a disappointing constraint for us. Mergers and acquisitions are frequent. Having to start again with 365 creates a big overhead on a organisations who rely on public donations for their futures.

• Graeme Frost commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has anyone got an update on this request? Our company has just taken on a new company and we would like to change our tenant name.

• WB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Took MS a month and a half to respond and then a year and a half for an update. Not holding our breath. Maybe you guys should stop thinking about it and start implementing it.

• Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely necessary for both the domain url and site collection. We've grown tremendously since O365 migration and the domain url no longer makes sense for our other entities under same tenant and is even very confusing to them.
        Can't wait to see this as an option!

• Charlie Rube commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is so vital, and even if technically challenging, should have been addressed already. That it's been nearly six months since the working on it status, it's so frustrating. It's delaying our office migration.

Our team made the error (unknown at the time!) to put a & in our team's title. Turns out this is an unsupported character for Microsoft so we can't synchronise our teams document folder with Onedrive for example. And since we can't change the link of that team, we're stuck with our problem, short of deleting it and reopening it (which would make us lose all our conversations)

• Jeffrey Ginsburg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make this possible ASAP as it is something that I'm sure you hear about frequently and would be a great new feature to your customers :)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

Feedback and Knowledge Base