SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Enable renaming the site collection URLs

Currently the site collection URLs are fixed as https://tenant.sharepoint.com and cannot be changed. This does not fit with flexible cloud-based solutions - business needs will inevitably result in an organisation changing it's name during its lifetime (mergers, acquisitions, rebranding etc). While it may not be possible to change it so that entirely custom domains are used (eg contoso.com, instead of sharepoint.com), it must be possible to allow the sub-domain to be changed (eg. newtenant.sharepoint.com)? Please?

Migrating an entire organisation (likely to include Exchange, Skype, Sharepoint and Onedrive data!!) to a new Tenancy is absolutely not a viable option.

2,537 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dan Furse shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! Just a note to let you know that we’re building your suggestion now.

Corporate lifecycle is a real and constant pressure in business, often resulting in a need to rename the Office 365 Tenant. To that end we are working on the solution to change the SharePoint domain URL (contoso.sharepoint.com renamed to fabrikam.sharepoint.com). This capability will also then enable the renaming of an individual site collection (contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/abc to contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/xyz).

While we don’t have an estimated delivery date to share at this time, we’ll update your suggestion with details as they become available.

Bill Baer MSFT

305 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Because SharePoint is actually behind some of the 365 functionality, people don't realise its so difficult to change these things when they first start playing with it. Team Leaders have no idea of the consequences of incorrect naming or structures. As a result they expect they can come along to their IT Team and get it fixed. And then we tell them we cant fix it. Or rename it, or delete it. We really need this functionality soon guys. This has been a bugbear in SharePoint for as long as I can remember. Can we get an ETA please?

• Patrick Fist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Microsoft, can you provide an update to this please?
        Scope/ETA, e.g. 2019-H1, to have something to plan.

• Aaron Stoddard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really hope we see this feature soon.
        This has prevented us from utilizing Sharepoint, Onedrive, etc at a number of our sites. Tenant migration is just not an option.

As an Office 365 customer and heavy user, we would ask you to enable the domaine renaming. The name of our organisation has changed since the domaine creation, and now we're stocked with the older one. As everyone commenting this suggestion, we would also really need it.

• Fschick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will be asking Bill about this when at Ignite 2018. He has two sessions and I will be attending both.

Any updates on this, should we expect to see a demo at Ignite?

Its REALLY needed.

Yes please! We started testing your service using a smaller business we have. Deciding it would work for us, we built it out for our main business, not realizing we would be married to the smaller business name for eternity.

• Scott Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can I offer an alternative option, can we use Aliasing to support this. Add addition vanity domain URLs. Giving us the ability to not only have contoso.sharepoint.com but then offer to alias to fabrikam.sharepoint.com.

Bill, so this is now the #1 voted needed function. Can we get a status update? We all have environments, clients, customers that have been asking about this for well over 2 years. Can we see this at least make the Office 365 Roadmap?

• Jason Harkless commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

seems to me that using GUIDs in URLs would fix everything. (FWIW, other successful DMS do it this way). I was excited to see that MS Teams uses GUIDs and I don't understand why SP does not do the same? No one should ever care what the actual URL is- having one that "reads as its name" in antiquated

• Joe Lianes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to be able to add several domains to SharePoint. I have about 30 different domains in o365 and can not deliver Sharepoint/OneDrive integration to more than one of them because og this. It's a pain a certain place, and needs to be fixed ASAP.

• Murtaza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Thinking about it" took almost 2 years. Very uninteresting features rain down from the skies esp social media integrations. Quite important feature is missed on design phase, could barely get an attention in 2 years and now decided to develop the feature. I really doubt that we get some sort of timeline considering previous behaviours.

• Philippe Duceppe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a delivery date or an estimate date available... It's important to have that feature ASAP. Thanks for your effort and I hope having a positive answer.

• Pete Helin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates on this? Couple of my customers are considering tenant-2-tenant migrations just to rename domain name in SharePoint Online URL. I advised them to wait/postpone due to this update from January. Could you please provide semi-annual update/comment regarding this matter? Or hint if there's any news related to this announced in Ignite maybe?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16

Feedback and Knowledge Base