SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Enable renaming the site collection URLs

Currently the site collection URLs are fixed as https://tenant.sharepoint.com and cannot be changed. This does not fit with flexible cloud-based solutions - business needs will inevitably result in an organisation changing it's name during its lifetime (mergers, acquisitions, rebranding etc). While it may not be possible to change it so that entirely custom domains are used (eg contoso.com, instead of sharepoint.com), it must be possible to allow the sub-domain to be changed (eg. newtenant.sharepoint.com)? Please?

Migrating an entire organisation (likely to include Exchange, Skype, Sharepoint and Onedrive data!!) to a new Tenancy is absolutely not a viable option.

3,770 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dan Furse shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! Just a note to let you know that we’re building your suggestion now. We plan to increase availability to this feature throughout 2019.

Corporate lifecycle is a real and constant pressure in business, often resulting in a need to rename the Office 365 Tenant. To that end we are working on the solution to change the SharePoint domain URL (contoso.sharepoint.com renamed to fabrikam.sharepoint.com). This capability will also then enable the renaming of an individual site collection (contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/abc to contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/xyz).

While we don’t have an estimated delivery date to share at this time, we’ll update your suggestion with details as they become available.

Matthew Carlson
Microsoft

449 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ian Caldwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Feels like I have been waiting years for this feature. We need to be able to change our URL. Our company has invested heavily in using Office 365, internally and with many external partners, and our current URL does not match our new brand - this destroys trust.

• Hannu Rintala commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe some Microsoft employee could make these changes manually. The only answer now is that nothing can be done. Except to re-create the entire portal. It is not a sensible option. It's not an option!

• BRNDN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our 3rd party provider named ours without consulting us, and its this long gibberish that has nothing to do with our company. It's basically stopping us from using anything that shows this tenant name. I'm posting this with the hope I'll be notified when there is a fix.

• Jijoy V commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This development need to be addressed asap or get escalated to the correct person. During the life of an organization the organization can get rebranded, can undergo mergers, etc., What I have been advised from MS is that a new MS package need to be subscribed and all services be moved to the new account. I hope MS understands what they are suggesting and the amount of effort required for this exercise.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When will we be able to rename our Microsoft Tenant ID? Please stop all other development of "features" and give us this basic thing that should have been in the original product design. I can't believe this is still not been completed.

• Nuno Serrenho commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really can't believe this hasn't been done yet. Our Microsoft evangelist said it was in the pipeline and you were "working on it" in Jan 2018. Last update was over 3 months ago...

So disappointing that I'm now looking at planning a tenant to tenant migration and wasting days of time because you can't get it together to figure out how rename a tenant id.

• W. Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

trying to use the start-spositerename cmdlet but its not working yet. getting error: start-spositerename : The type initializer for 'Microsoft.Online.SharePoint.PowerShell.TelemetryMonitorAria' threw an exception. At line:1 char:1 + start-spositerename + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Start-SPOSiteRename], TypeInitializationException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.TypeInitializationException,Microsoft.Online.SharePoint.PowerShell.StartSPOSiteRe name PS C:\WINDOWS\system32

This was original requested by users in 2016. Original response post says your developers have been working on this since Jan 3rd 2018, then a follow up March 7th. Are you guys able to make this available anytime soon? Thank you,

Microsoft should just allow us the ability to add vanity URLs, using the cname of our own domain, example sharepoint.mydomain.com

This is a common feature of both free and paid web services.

• Lisa French commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Nathan P, I need to be able to implement this as soon as it is available! So glad that you are working on it?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 22 23

Feedback and Knowledge Base