I suggest you ....

Enable renaming the site collection URLs

Currently the site collection URLs are fixed as https://tenant.sharepoint.com and cannot be changed. This does not fit with flexible cloud-based solutions - business needs will inevitably result in an organisation changing it's name during its lifetime (mergers, acquisitions, rebranding etc). While it may not be possible to change it so that entirely custom domains are used (eg contoso.com, instead of sharepoint.com), it must be possible to allow the sub-domain to be changed (eg. newtenant.sharepoint.com)? Please?

Migrating an entire organisation (likely to include Exchange, Skype, Sharepoint and Onedrive data!!) to a new Tenancy is absolutely not a viable option.

1,473 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dan Furse shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! Just a note to let you know that we’re building your suggestion now.

Corporate lifecycle is a real and constant pressure in business, often resulting in a need to rename the Office 365 Tenant. To that end we are working on the solution to change the SharePoint domain URL (contoso.sharepoint.com renamed to fabrikam.sharepoint.com). This capability will also then enable the renaming of an individual site collection (contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/abc to contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/xyz).

While we don’t have an estimated delivery date to share at this time, we’ll update your suggestion with details as they become available.

Bill Baer MSFT

191 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Stephen Faille commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has got to be one of the most looked for update other than your progress with Mac clients. Great work getting this going.

• Chris Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously? They said they are starting work on it, once they have more information they can share we will know. This isn't going to be some quick and easy fix. My guess is we probably will hear about it at the SharePoint conference in May, so don't get your hopes up for something in the next few weeks or months.

• R Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Chris, but Microsoft haven't said when this will be fixed nor have they said what exactly the fix will do. So, in my book, they haven't given us any useful information.

• Kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a much needed feature! Is this only for SP? Or, all O365 tools? (One Drive, etc?)

• Seth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sooner the better ... I just put in a ticket and was sent here

• Chris Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Luis you can already rename your sites onprem. Unless there is something new in the SP2016 that doens't allow it, but in 2013 you can.

Mathiieu, You can already change Tenant name, the issue has been the URL's

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I Concur With R Webb, it would be ideal to know what is the average timescale when you start to develop on an Idea. We have an urgent need to change Tenant name and need to be switched over within 6 months. We will need to start a manual Migration into a brand new 365 tenant from next week if we have not heard back on a timescale. Even if we knew It most likely won't be developed until next year would help.

Thanks

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

great - please also include a function to keep existing links working (aliased) so bookmarks and existing shares do not break when the change is made.

• R Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although you cannot give an estimated delivery date you surely must be able to give us a broad indication of timescale. Are you talking six months, 12 months, longer...?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So glad to hear it. The lack of an estimated time frame is a bit disconcerting, but hoping it will be in time for our company migration this Summer. I add though that renaming needs to be across all services including OneDrive, Teams, etc and without a bunch of caveats.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base