SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Provide an option to disable the "Share" button.

The Share button breaks inheritance on an item, and without warning to the user. With the default Permission Level of "Edit" in Team Sites, you can quickly have 100's or 1000's of items with unique permissions. Going forward, any permissions granted at the library or site level can create a situation where new users will see all of the content in a library, except for those with unique permissions.

I would like to be able to disable (hide) the Share buttons at various tiers such as library, site, site collection or web application/tenant.

408 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mike Smith shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

30 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ivan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We also face this feature as a problem in our tenant. Most users think that "Share" is to notify someone about any update done; and they keep "sharing" the files with people who only need to be provided with the link to a file in the "old way" (not these cryptic links). Of course they could also activate the Alerts... but this seems to be too dificult for unskilled users.

• A Jonathan Valdes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This suggestions will never be approved! you guys don't understand clearly the concept of this platform!.

Remember one important thing, this is a collaboration platform!

Define your security groups for REGULAR USERS and let users share with other folks freely after. increase the user adoption, and training.

Regular users will be members of security groups with access to everything (library or site)
        Sporadic users will have access only to the folder or specific file using the SHARE button.

YES, share breaks the inheritance but as long you created your security groups, you won't have any issues, your security group will still there and for other folks the security won't be compromised.

In the future if you need to migrate, you will only consider folks that are under security groups and letting the other out on your migration.

• Paula Hidalgo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sharing read access to documents without granting access to the entire document library is desirable. The main problem with the "share" breaking inheritance is there is no easy way to report out on the SharePoint site where these exceptions exist or traceability on how changes were introduced. I agree with the comments about the permission model needing significant rework.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This does need fixing, but needs some granularity. I want people to be able to share pages / links and documents, but I want this to happen using existing permission groups by default. Just hiding the share button isn't the answer, allowing a site coordinator to dictate what sharing is allowed, IS the answer.

Please disable the Share Button or provide an option not to display it.
        Thanks

Same problem here - this breaks how we manage permissions. Plus using share has been opening files in the word or excel app even when we have a library set to open in the client. Combined with autosave and alerts, this is a compounding problem.

• Jochen Leppin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We executed many SharePoint projects with our customers during the last few years. In almost every case the customer was asking for this feature. This said, it would be really practical to have such a feature as soon as possible.

Agree with Nouha. I just found out that my permissions were broken because a document was shared. Needs to be fixed immediately.

• Nouha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is breaking permissions. Please disable the Share Button or provide an option not to display it.

• Phil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So ... Did anyone hear what/whether/when Microsoft are going to address this ? My organization is also having to try and find ways to stop allowing standard Users to Share a doc and then create unique permissions. I'd much prefer it to be "email a link" at the very least.

the workaround MS is providing for this (sharing requests going to administrators to approve) is ridiculous. This needs to be resolved quickly as users shouldn't be able to overwrite permission levels set on the library.

• MjF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes!! Please!! Disabeling share allows owners to control data within their owned environments.

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please ! Allow us to hide this option.

Have you ever try explaining to end users the difference between sharing using "SendLink" and sharing using this new share option ? Please don't complexify things. Let us keep it simple !

Really need a way to disable this. I don't want my user sending a bunch of spam emails throughout the organization and I don't wan't content owners accidentally breaking permission inheritance.

• MWankel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this feature to disable the Share button on all Site Collections. Would be nice to have a complete on/off switch to turn off and forget.

If we can't disable the share, it would be nice if we could change the default behavior for sending an email. Currently sending an email is the default, in our case we would like to force the user to select this option.

• LA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is causing an issue when we try and have private folders for working groups! It's crazy that non admins can essentially share something with unique and restricted permissions! It negates the point of unique permissions. Microsoft need to sort their product out, unfortunately there isn't really any backlash on them for these sorts of things...which is also reflected in how bad their support service is.

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As stated by Mike, Sharing breaks inheritance on an Item. This is bad on many different levels, but even Microsoft states the following:
        Fine-grained permissions can influence security on a SharePoint farm. Potential performance issues can occur when you use fine-grained permissions. The following information helps you address issues when an environment is experiencing issues that incorrect use or scale of fine-grained permissions might have caused.

You can avoid fine-grained permissions by doing the following:

•Break permission inheritance as infrequently as possible.

So we as administrators want to disable sharing, which we can...sort of. Sure it makes it so you can't "Share", but the button is everywhere and still enabled. Why?!? I can even go to the details of an item with "read" permissions and I can see the option to "Manage access"? Selecting that I can choose "Gran Access" which brings up the "Share" option and I can choose someone who has no access to the site and choose to send them an email. I get no errors when I do this? So many things that can confuse end users and create tickets.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base