SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Managed Navigation for new Document Library Experience

Currently the new document library experience does not support Managed Navigation. It would be great to have this as currently using the structured navigation seems buggy in the new experience. Specifically, it ignores the "hidden" attribute of structured navigation which can make for some large menus. We love the new experience and are hoping to train users up and roll it out however we need to get navigation right before we can do this.

237 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Skeg shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the feedback requesting support for classic publishing on modern pages in team sites. We have rolled out an update that will now correctly render your structured or managed navigation links on modern pages in classic team sites.

Please see the help article (https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Customize-the-navigation-on-your-team-site-3cd61ae7-a9ed-4e1e-bf6d-4655f0bf25ca?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US) for more details – or visit the MS Tech Community (https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint/UPDATE-Support-for-Structured-Managed-Navigation-enabled-on/m-p/57384) to share any comments/questions.

50 comments

Comments are closed
    • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My managed navigation is not working when I switch a library to new experience

• David Sykes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also Key filters navigation is still missing and is forcing us to use the classic UI as we have a number of lists/libraries that contain more than the list item view threshold. Any updates on when this functionality will be available in modern pages?

• David Sykes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whist Managed metadata navigation global navigation is now available for me in modern pages, it does not include navigation items to the same depth as classic.

Ie in classic Sharepoint my global nav displays Site A > Site A.1 > Site A.1.1 In the modern page, only Site A > Site A.1 is displayed.

Is this expected or will it eventually display navigation elements to the same depth as with classic (which is 3 I believe)?

I'm glad to see that top level managed navigation is working now, but second levels don't show up and the names are truncated if they exceed the standard menu width. Can work on this?

I thought this issue was for the managed navigation in the library itself. It is missing and it makes quite difficult to work with large libraries.

• Anton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really missing the Managed Navigation. We have to put several site collections/ document library's back to classic and this is confusing users and not a good thing for the adoption to the ModernUI

It is really needed. How can we otherwise work with big lists? Please add this functionality as soon as possible.

• Peter Cuttriss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Further to this, not only does the new document library experience not support Managed Navigation, it also doesn't support Structured Navigation if the user is external to your tenancy's AD instance. Structured Navigation configured via the 'Top Link Bar' will show on modern pages to site members/visitors who are part of your Azure AD tenancy. If you share the site however, then the external visitors won't see any top navigation links at all.

I've logged this as a support request. It's been replicated by MS and I've then been told that... "this is unfortunately a by designed scenario that external user will not have the same access or view to Top Link Bar as internal user in modern SharePoint UI".

9 months and still nothing - absolutely abysmal typical of MS

Release a product that doesnt work and then attempt to fix it. Worse than most SaaS platforms despite being the largest and most capable organisation.

• Jarno Karjalainen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was working already, but now suddenly it's not working anymore. We too see now only the the structural navigation. Also the drag'n'drop feature for files that are grouped by managed metadata field was working, but is not working anymore. Please fix this, this was working great!

• Elsa Naumann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It was working for us the other day, but then (and out of the blue) it all of a sudden stopped working and all we get is structural navigation. Is there an update on this?

• Patti Gault commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Status update please!! We have been waiting quite some time for Microsoft to correct this issue.

• Pat Petersen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Curious as to the outcome of this. Looks as if publishing is causing the trouble. Don't use the Pages Library!

• SG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very annoying, we have all navigation set up and users see something completely different in the document libraries ... this should be a priority as it is a bug (unsupported a main feature?!?).

It feels MS is releasing new stuff that are "unprepared" for actual production environment - is it more important to release new stuff every week or to release good stuff that make your customers happy ...hmmm ???

• Tas Ranson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any progress on this critical capability for information management in knowledge focused libraries?

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You've been working on it since October and no updates? Like anonymous below, we can't roll out the new document library experience until you fix what you've broken.

this is a key issue. we will not roll out the new experience until this is fixed.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base