SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Modified dates in Site Contents should reflect content changes, not system changes

Looking at the modified values in Site Contents has always been a quick way to recognize where activity has occurred - if it has. Without running any code we can quickly see if a site has been used recently. (It was easier to eyeball this in SharePoint 2007 in the vertical listing than it is in SharePoint 2013+, but that's a different UI issue - tiles aren't helpful for every use case.)

For months now, a list no one has touched for over a year might say "Modified 23 hours ago". It seems as though lists and libraries are being "touched" by some background process, changing the modified time incorrectly.

An example would be the site in my Sympraxis Office 365 tenant at https://sympraxis.sharepoint.com/sites/Demos2013/_layouts/15/viewlsts.aspx

On that page, I see a number of lists and libraries that say "Modified 9 days ago" or "Modified 10 days ago". I know for a fact that I have not modified any of those lists or libraries in quite a long time (at least months) and I'm the only person who would be in there. I'm attaching a screenshot showing this.

I've seen this in multiple tenants on Office 365, so it isn't just something in my tenant. It's VERY confusing to end users and brings into question the integrity of the platform.

I've been told by support that this is "expected"behavior" and has been the case since SharePoint 2013. I believe this should be fixed. Please vote early and often!

173 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

sympmarc shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for this feedback. This is an example of how User Voice and Twitter brought this to our attention.

We have rolled out a fix to all of production for this issue. Going forward, Site Content’s dates will only update based upon real user behavior, not system changes.

It’s worth noting that this is a go-forward fix – we did not feel it right to go back and change existing dates.

Please let us know if you see any dates update that are unexpected.

38 comments

Comments are closed
    • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

is this fixed for onprem environment, when i run a powershell to get-spweb lastmodifieddate for some obsolute sites that havent been used in 8 months, but report says it has been used daily. Looks like daily system process is updating this. What is the fix for this we are using sp 2013.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was trying to retrieve the sites based of off Modified date in SP 2013 and still seeing the same problem. Modified dates are still displaying as System changes date not exact date. can someone help with it ?

• speedydaniel84 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have you meanwhile added this fix also in an on-prem CU?
      Will update my farms in the next 4 weeks. Would be great to get this improvement for our NON-Cloud environments too.

• Mathias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm still seeing this issue in my SP13 farms. (SP1 + CUAug17) Everytime i install a CU, all lists and libaries are updated with a new modified date. Excremly hard to find unused sites :( Do you have a hotfix for this issue?

• Blah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not fixed. I'm still seeing massive amounts of sites being "modified" at around the same time when i know they haven't been touched. This is bad for admins that have to control and manage storage within the O365 platform. There is absolutely no good way to clean sites up based on a last modified date. So, i guess i have to keep buying storage...seems like a sham to me.

• Subhash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

what is the fix for this issue? We are using SharePonit2013-SP1. Do we have any CU for this issue?

• Subhash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I could see the similar behaviour with my sites. do we have any fix for this issue? how to get the user modified dates with site content ?

• Syed Ibrahim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was doing some testing and found that "LastItemUserModifiedDate" of web object is reflecting the changes done to "User Information List" through User Profile sync for any user profile property changes and this modification is done under "System Account", I can understand any permission changes by user or if user first visited the site but looks like the system update by user profile sync to user information list is affecting this property which cannot be considered as last item "User" modified time. Any thoughts here ?

• tkerkman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I opened a case with MS on this issue. The issue has been resolved in the new SPO API by including the property of "LastItemUserModifiedDate" which is a peer property of "LastItemModifiedDate" at Sites and Lists object level

• Tuomas Pakkanen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see practically all sites modified within last week in one tenant, so seems that this problem is not fixed or has re-appeared.

Once again, a large number (4000+) of our sites were updated systematically between 1/29/2017 - 1/31/207

• Bill Pitchford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also seeing this in my tenant. Many, many sites updated with recent dates though the individual content hasn't changed in years.

Per the request of the Admin of this site, "if you see any dates update that are unexpected" :

I am the tenant admin for 9000 sites, I am seeing that 4000+ sites have a "LastItemModifiedDate" value updated between 12/16/2016 and 12/20/2016. Further data analysis is showing that the majority of "LastItemModifiedDate" values were updated systematically based on URL.

• sympmarc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Based on what I've heard from Adam Harmetz, this should be 100% rolled out to Office 365 tenants now. Note that it isn't retroactive, but will be correct going forward.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base