Enable 'Export to Excel' on non-IE Browsers
We can use the 'Export to Excel' functionality in lists and libraries in Internet Explorer, but it doesn't work in Chrome or other browsers, even though the ribbon button is enabled. Instead, we get errors that look something like this:
As I understand it, this is because the functionality uses ActiveX. However, in this modern world we know that people are using different browsers very frequently. This should work in all browsers or at least fall back to a CSV export if it can't function the same way.
If a user is accessing from a non-IE browser, this should be hidden.
Chris Odegard commented
If you do get the above in Chrome, you can still save it as an .iqy file. What you are seeing is the raw code of the query itself; you can open this in Excel.
Noah Stahl commented
The "Export to Excel" button appears in Chrome for our tenant as of July 7th 2017.
+1 Remember, switching browsers also means having to re-authenticate, since they all have their own cookie sets -- what a pain. This lack of feature parity across browsers is viewed by my users as a low-blow by Microsoft, a refusal to cooperate. Do better, Microsoft.
Matt Wade commented
I realize this request comes mainly because the button is enabled and throws an error (poor user experience versus no user experience), but as an expansion on this concept, making "Open with Explorer" and "Connect to Outlook" should also work in Firefox and Chrome.
Yes I support it too
Daniel theNerd commented
The real problem is that IE has activeX controls to allow this, while other browsers do not. Therefore it would be helpful if there was a browser plugin for the other browsers that would enable this functionality. Come on Microsoft, get this done!
Sri, Sunkavalli commented
Modern browsers are capturing broader market than MSFT browsers. In order to make SharePoint more accessible all features should be accessible in all the browsers and I completely agree excel export should be most important part of it.
subash chandra das commented
Even for "open in window explorer" for document library works in IE only. Ideally all the functionality should work same way in every browse