SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Dynamic Column width for default Title column in SharePoint List

Currently the default "Title" column does not have an adjustable width in the new modern SharePoint view only, classic view is unaffected.

So if the column contains 1 row and the cell contains very little text the column width will not adjust to fit the width of the text and leave a large empty space, pushing adjacent columns to the right off the screen.

498 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Henry Gelderbloem shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

74 comments

Comments are closed
    • Jennifer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Though you can adjust the column width there are fields that cannot be fully set to a minimum, I wonder why. It gives too much space for a short text.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Default title column is still too big. Why is there such a massive minimum width for this single column? It doesn't add any value to anyone.

Second Phil Marcuson's comment, doesn't persist to webpart embedded in another page. Please fix.

• Phil Marcuson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see that this work in the libraries views, but it doesn't persist to a webpart embedded in another page. The columns get truncated and the ellipses shows back up.

• Andy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Additionally, it is good that we can now save the column width, but it would be better if this was dynamic based on the longest name.

• Andy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I adjust the column width and save the changes, the changes are seen by everyone.

Can Microsoft confirm what is meant by "each user’s preference will be saved in local storage."?

• Aljaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@admin: it's not "boom it's done". The minimum title column width is still too wide. For example, I only need to enter a car's license plate in the title column but the column takes 3-times the need real estate my entry actually takes. Your response indicates you did not understand the inital issue.

Great progress but we need a tad more. The default title column cannot be resized smaller. The default width is still to wide, the smallest width is still too wide...

• Tom Resing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@R Webb, I think what she means by "local storage" is that when you change the width of a column and don't save the view, the new width will persist, at least temporarily. To save it long term, save it with the view.

• rshall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have asked folks to name their files with meaningful file names for better SharePoint enterprise search results - don't abbreviate. Now the file names are getting better (and longer) but the narrow Name column is really a problem in the modern library and modern pages.

Please do this - almost all of my column headings are mashed into the next. It looks really horrible.

How long do you need to "think about it" when this is a big show stopper for heavy list usage? :)

• Leonie Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed; adjusting the column width would result in a better use of the real estate and a better user experience.

• Meg Still commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a fundamental requirement for all of my clients. it is not practical to expect an end user to drag the width of a column each time. The owner(s) of the App or the owner of the personal view NEED to have the ability to set the width of the column(s) within each App

• Natalie Kaufman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need the ability to customize the widths of columns in SharePoint lists. This is long overdue functionality.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base