SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Column totals missing in modern list views

Column totals missing in modern list views.

This is an often used function, and the workaround to set the list back to classic will only be a temporary solution.

362 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Roar Kristiansen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

30 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Angus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Sharepoint Experiences Team - can you provide a reason why this was not included? A harder ETA for launch?

• Seth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well over two years... and this basic functionality that was already part of sharepoint is still missing...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, getting back what we've lost! :) Thanks for bringing this useful tool back and making the modern view as powerful as the classic one, so we can finally kiss it good bye.

I don't think this Uservoice is being actively managed. If you search for ideas for "Total" in views, you'll find a dozen of suggestions with few votes each.

If the uservoice would be managed correctly, where MS would have merged all these similar ideas together the votes would be DRASTICALLY higher so they know the real pain associated with removing features that existed for 15 years!

• JoeD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And when they give back a basic functionality we had for 15 years, it will be done with great (fake) fanfare...

Wait a minute? Considering building this functionality?? It's ALREADY in the system, been working since Sharepoint 2003 but now suddenly produces no results in the modern view. Please add this back ASAP, my teams are not happy with the new modern views and the fact that an ID or Title column cannot be made smaller is also a problem. Modern views are great in many ways, but went backward in functionality as well. Can't wait to gain back what we already had.

• Mark Small commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's confusing is that the "Totals" option is still available in the View Settings screen, it just doesn't show in the actual view. I was helping a new associate the other day with creating views, and the Totals option was something they really needed. So we have to switch back to Classic experience to get that. Not cool.

You should be doing more than just "considering building this functionality". It already existed in previous versions of SharePoint. And there's been no update on this request since April 2017?

I concur with all that have asked why we should have to beg for previous functionality to be reinstated, just because someone at Microsoft decides it's no longer important or needed. I'm still hurting from the deprecation of Access Web Apps, which was also pulled from service without a functional replacement.

I'm all for change and typically embrace it, but not when it means taking backward steps in an attempt to move forward.

• Bruce Hankins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why do we constantly have to request functions we previously had? And then act like we've been given this brand new function when it has returned?

• Venkatraman Sundararajan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would need this functionality as part of our process. It is very pathetic to see MS, removed the functionality that was used very frequently till the previous version of SharePoint. Bring back the functionality.

• Yogi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Team, We've had this capability in SP for knowing my stake holders on the count of a library/list. Now, when we switch to MUI, I can't because count or sum items.

• Amy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE Microsoft!!! We've had this capability forever and now when I want to FINALLY switch to modern sites and pages, I can't because I am required to put totals in list web parts on landing pages. Come on!!

• MarkOpti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not understand why we have to beg for functionality that was part of SharePoint for more than a decade.

shame on MS for a reckless and irresponsible approach. Stop bringing and building features that nobody needs and asks. If they are "in addition" to what existed before - is fine, but not "instead" as MS does now.

• lcasey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please Microsoft, include this feature. It is extremely useful. I have created a complete IT billing system that charges each department for all Office 365 and Azure usage based on user as an example.

Getting the count and totals while using a SharePoint list is super functional and I have replaced many excel spreadsheets or Access Database apps because of that function. Especially now that you have the group by function so easily available adding in totals would make the product have immediate value for many business processes.

I have been implementing and upgrading to SharePoint modern sites and have experimented with Power BI embedded and using a Native modern SharePoint list and I have to say, hopefully your artificial intelligence engine is working, as there is an opportunity to merge the two technologies together in a hugely productive way for end customers.

For now, the modern SharePoint list is still much needed as the embedding of Power BI into a SharePoint Page still has nuances if you are strictly looking for data.

However, I truly believe that a SharePoint list should soon be feeding directly into the common data model. Basically , SharePoint just becomes a Artificial Intelligence front End with the common Data model feeding the global artificial intelligence data silos.

You can collect hundreds of millions if not billions of tenants metadata and feed it into the AI engine for some pretty interesting results. I believe that you could adapt a common business processing engine that new businesses would simply tap into and be up and running.

Anyway, please bring back totals if you can!

• Jimbo Alba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While Microsoft takes a lot of effort for new features/functionalities to be adopted, they should make more effort to communicate what features/functionalities will not work when making the adoption.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base