SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Please let me drag Outlook attachments into SharePoint

Something I find myself wanting to do pretty frequently is storing an email attachment somewhere into SharePoint or OneDrive for Business. I want to simply drag the attachment from Outlook directly into SharePoint or OneDrive in the browser. Alas, I cannot. I am forced to save the attachment somewhere (my Desktop, most likely) then either drag+dropping it into SharePoint/OneDrive or using the upload function in SharePoint/OneDrive to get it uploaded.

It should be easier than that. Microsoft, please consider adding this functionality to get even more user-friendly integration between your suite of products.

1,120 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Matt Wade shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

89 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Barbara Garrett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tried it with Chrome Version 72.0.3626.109 (Official Build) (64-bit) in Windows 10 and Outlook Version 1901 (Build 11231.20130) - still not working.

• Wayne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In one case I found out the problem was the compatibility view settings in Internet Explorer.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps unhelpful for many of us, but if Mac is an option for you Safari supports drag/drop from Outlook to SharePoint.

ok wow I just tried this with Edge and it worked! I'm thrilled!!! I constantly file files from my email to SharePoint - like several times a day. No more temp folder on my desktop! Thanks

• Donald Whittlebum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This used to work in SP on prem, now it doesn't work in SPO. The only browser that works for this function is Edge and Edge is GARBAGE. Please fix this.

• Asmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is first thing users ask for when migrating from file server to Team/Sharepoint. To be able to Drag and Drop attachments from an email to folder in a SPO document library would be very useful. It would make adoption a lot easier. Pleas add this functionality.

• Garry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A valid suggestion and hard to believe that this is not supported between MS products. Drag and Drop of emails and attachment only (without the email message) will save a lot of user adoption issues.
        We are looking into a 3rd party product which seems to address our needs. Looking at getting the 30 day trial - https://www.konnectemail.com/

Agreed - the ability to drag and drop attachments and/or the email itself into SharePoint with any browser would be very useful and it’s hard to believe this isn’t currently possible.

Please don’t limit any solution to attachments though. The email itself often provides important context to the attachment, in which case both are required.

I have a workaround, but I agree with this suggestion fully - here is my work around - for a PDF use the attachment preview function in the email body then save as, from File Explorer have a Desktop Folder with URL links to your SharePoint Sites/Subsites/DLs then you can save and rename direct into the SharePoint folder you want to. The purpose of the Preview here is to deal with those files, typically PDF, that get emailed with file name that doesn't tell you what the attachment is. This folder with URLs also works for saving any attachment on email. Obviously, be responsible about knowing who the attachments are from in preview. Microsoft, it should still be easier and not an innovative workaround to what should be an out of the box solution to a very common way of working with office applications and email.

Please update SharePoint so that email all attachments (Word, Excel, PDF, etc.) may be dragged and dropped from Outlook and other email services. It is counter-productive to have to save attachments to a local drive and then move them to SharePoint, and then delete them from the local drive. Thank you.

Please add this functionality, either for browsers or as an Outlook add-in.

A related feature that would be useful is the ability to map email headers to SharePoint columns out of the box. That way, when an email is dragged from Outlook to SharePoint, the Sender, Recipient, Received Date etc can be populated in columns. The ‘created’ and ‘modified’ column value’s arent particularly helpful for email.

There are a number of third party products that can do this, but surely Microsoft is best placed to provide this much needed integration between its own products.

Drag and drop seems to work indeed with Edge and SPO with modern view! Please also make this possible with Google Chrome, since this is the most used browser and our organization doesn't use Windows 10 yet so also doesn't has Edge availible yet.

• RaNee Stumpff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just tried using drag and drop with Edge in the Modern view and it worked just fine for me! :) Thank you to whoever first posted that!!

Unfortunately drag and drop via Edge doesn’t work with the modern SharePoint experience - only classic.

• Jim Asbille commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Edge isn't usable in my organization and my guess is that the move to Chromium will break that. We need a solution to this.

• Fabio Hepworth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Richard Janssen: That just blew my mind. I never knew you could drag and drop via Edge.
        Improves my workflow and I am going to enjoy letting some of my clients know.

Hopefully it wont disappear with the move to Chromium. :-)

• Jim Asbille commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! This has been wanting for years. Maybe there are workarounds but dragging and dropping is how we will drive user adoption. Any more complicated method is a barrier to adoption. I am a SharePoint developer and I hate this with the intensity of the Sun!

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base