SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Please let me drag Outlook attachments into SharePoint

Something I find myself wanting to do pretty frequently is storing an email attachment somewhere into SharePoint or OneDrive for Business. I want to simply drag the attachment from Outlook directly into SharePoint or OneDrive in the browser. Alas, I cannot. I am forced to save the attachment somewhere (my Desktop, most likely) then either drag+dropping it into SharePoint/OneDrive or using the upload function in SharePoint/OneDrive to get it uploaded.

It should be easier than that. Microsoft, please consider adding this functionality to get even more user-friendly integration between your suite of products.

1,387 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Matt Wade shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

105 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just in case it helps I've been using OutlookFileDrag add-in to do this, it works very well.

• Paul de Jong | SLIM Applications commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like this suggestion is becoming obsolete. Edge already supports drag and drop of emails (or attachments) from Outlook to SharePoint. In addition, Chrome 76 (currently in beta) also supports this functionality. The estimated stable date for Chrome 76 is 30 July 2019.
    Please note that emails are uploaded as msg files. It is not possible to set custom metadata or extract email metadata such as subject, sent date, .... This still requires 3rd party tools like SLIM Companion Explorer.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You could do this via Flow, create a flow to pickup emails in a folder in your Outlook and save to Sharepoint. :)

• Jihong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Strongly agree it. Cloud solution should save total storage, but now I may make copies in both cloud and my local. it is a waste now.

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Possible solution: Outlook2Web. I was just researching drag and dropping attachments from Outlook to a webapp. I came across this post and another program. The program is Outlook2Web and coan be found at www.outlook2web.com. I downloaded the trial and it worked for me. Granted this would not be a free solution, but it might help some.

Can you at least tell us why you don't want to address this issue? When novice computer users intuitively expect to be able to drag and drop attachments from outlook to SharePoint, you know it is a major UX design problem.

This feature is broken in the new Microsoft Edge Version 74.1.96.24 (Official build) dev (64-bit) (Chromium)

May I recommend Harmon.ie addon as an alternative in the meantime to make your life easier?

The Dev version of Edge based on Chromium doesn’t seem to allow drag and drop from Outlook. Can anyone else confirm?

• Kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is Edge the only browser that allows this?

Will the update of Edge to Chromium break this functionality?

• PO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unthinkable that MS would deliberately leave this out. This is not a 'miss'. They have chosen to leave this basic functionality out. I'll let you guess why..

• Irina Winsley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix this urgently. At the moment we can't drag and drop from Outlook into the SP in a browser. We can only do that via synced SP folders in File Explorer, which is not ideal as our users keep getting recurrent issues with SP sync engine.

• Barbara Garrett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tried it with Chrome Version 72.0.3626.109 (Official Build) (64-bit) in Windows 10 and Outlook Version 1901 (Build 11231.20130) - still not working.

• Wayne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In one case I found out the problem was the compatibility view settings in Internet Explorer.

Perhaps unhelpful for many of us, but if Mac is an option for you Safari supports drag/drop from Outlook to SharePoint.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base