SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Bring Back Script Editor Web Part in "Modern" SharePoint

The Script Editor Web Part has been replaced by the Content Editor (which does a very limited iframe) and the new SPFX stuff. I am not a developer, but knowledgeable in HTML, Javascript, CSS. The SEWP met some very complex use cases (targeted for replacement by SPFX), but also some very simple use cases.

Example: Insert a formatted single HTML button, something that is big, draws attention, and encourages the user to click it to start an action.

What might be just 2 lines of code, has now turned into (what looks like) hundreds of files of deployment, installing all kinds of tools that I have never heard of or know what they are actually doing in the background.

I am finding SPFX to be specifically geared toward professional developers and limiting "citizen" developers from adding just simple things to SharePoint pages. I am trying to learn it, but there are so many things above my head at this point, and my role is not to be a full-time developer.

This is to lobby to bring back the Script Editor Web Part to meet simple use cases

633 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Brent Ellis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

33 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Juan Pineiro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How does requiring SPFX fit into empowering users? Bring back the Script Editor Web Part and give us more options and flexibility with page design and page real estate.. for example allow us to hide Title, Search, Logo, Publish Bar, Comment. Our users are not even interested in Modern until we viable migration path for the UI.

• AndyH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring this web part back, or provide a way to add HTML and JS to our modern pages. At the moment I have to use SharePoint Designer to create a classic page in my Site Pages library to get around this limitation. on modern sites

• Michael Beaver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I need to add HTML, CSS, or JavaScript to a page, I use the HTML Form Web Part. It works well for this type of content and there is no need to add anything other than the code. If I want to include a .js file, I use a content editor web part.

The only caveats are that the HTML Forms web part's source editor only works in Internet Explorer and the HTML source editor from the Content Editor is gone in the online version of SP.

Using these 2 web parts, I can get most things done.

• Jason Baxter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps there is a third option , Make the SPFX framework usable for everyone.

Veterans of SharePoint can't simply use this framework , Make it simpler.
        Make a webpart for it.
        Make it usable for citizen developers.
        i don't think anyone will mind if making customization that are sustainable is simpler have to be done through the framework.
        But i think most of us are like: "i just can't get it to work this is overly complex compared to copy paste our code."

• Veronique Palmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree 100%! We still use classic SharePoint wiki pages and we need to be able to hide the Recently Updated thing on the quick launch. Bring back the script editor please!

• Vishal Chorghe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring Script Editor webpart back in Modern Pages. In Our projects, we need custom scripts and CSS on every single page. Hope Microsoft will introduce script editor webpart in modern pages soon

• Robert Kocher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Because master pages are managed by central admin in IT, us site admins cannot modify the page layout to brand one knowledge base vs. another, or create specific functionality on pages to display only relevant content. SPx is not made for citizen developers in the business to keep up with the speed of change.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add script editor web part for Modern Sharepoint in Team & Communication site,.. Very much needfull

• Eriza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most useful app to change simple look and feel. Really hope it we be there soon, as it gave me headache every-time I want to make simple changes (eg: add background color, add border line).

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IMO Modern is basically crippled for any sort of basic customization. As a consultant I have to explain these limitations to clients, that Microsoft has sacrificed some of the most useful functionality in order to have the modern look and feel.

With this in mind I also let them know if they want something simple that we could normally do with a couple of lines of Javascript will now take a developer writing a custom app or SPFx which is just overkill in so many ways.

Well, I'm actually a fan of just the opposite way. I've been working with Frontpage / SharePoint Designer, SharePoint with Script Editor / Content Editor for more than 20 years.

And I've seen plenty of SharePoint sites / pages broken by a self-proclaimed "PowerUser" after adding malformed code or JavaScript carrying out flawed code causing a whole page not loading anymore.

I do understand Microsoft completely why all modern sites are no-script sites and from an admin & supportability point of view I am very happy how things are now.

However, from a UX / UI designer point of view it might not be the best solution how it works now, but seeing how Microsoft has improved the modern experience and its customization options over the past two years I am confident that more stuff is coming in the future.

sometimes we need to do simple things that requires adding a simple JavaScript.. i think it will be useful to have this back

Please keep SharePoint KISS ! Keep It Stupid Simple and add the Script Editor Webpart as we successfully worked with in the last 10 years !!!!

• Leland Usher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Leland Usher - without our tool sets we are diminished in providing what our customer are use to getting. As shiny as these new modern sites are, we are somehow crippled on how to extend capabilities without these scripting tools - please bring those back. Thank you

• Mubashshira commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES!!! Please bring back the SEWP.
        Learning new tools while understanding SharePoint Online is a huge impact on

• Miguel Ruiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

saddly i don't think this is going to happen as modern experience is leaning towards using the SP Framework.

Still I want to be able to do at least small CSS customizations.

• DC Admin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring back the script editor. It is hard to believe that you have to be a developer just to add a simple html button on a page. I have a good knowledge of JavaScript/jQuery and HTML, but I my blood runs cold at the current suggested alternative of creating a SPFX project. I have really tried to move away from classic SharePoint pages, but you are really not making it easy Microsoft. You seem to have both oversimplified and overcomplicated the development of pages both at the same time. At least please give the option of editing the html in the text editor.
        Hopefully you are working on a solution that will work for us SharePoint Power Users, not just full-blown developers.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base