SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Bring Back Script Editor Web Part in "Modern" SharePoint

The Script Editor Web Part has been replaced by the Content Editor (which does a very limited iframe) and the new SPFX stuff. I am not a developer, but knowledgeable in HTML, Javascript, CSS. The SEWP met some very complex use cases (targeted for replacement by SPFX), but also some very simple use cases.

Example: Insert a formatted single HTML button, something that is big, draws attention, and encourages the user to click it to start an action.

What might be just 2 lines of code, has now turned into (what looks like) hundreds of files of deployment, installing all kinds of tools that I have never heard of or know what they are actually doing in the background.

I am finding SPFX to be specifically geared toward professional developers and limiting "citizen" developers from adding just simple things to SharePoint pages. I am trying to learn it, but there are so many things above my head at this point, and my role is not to be a full-time developer.

This is to lobby to bring back the Script Editor Web Part to meet simple use cases

749 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Brent Ellis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

44 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jussi Palo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please include it by default. I will not create SPFx web part just to be able to have table with invisible borders on my SharePoint front page.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sharepoint removed anchors, now custom html to create our own anchors...

I have wasted 3 hours investigating about how to add a simple anchor to my enterprise site. Now I know that it is impossible.

So instead of creating a big tutorial page with anchors, I need to create small pages with links, or the employees will hurt their fingers scrolling down.

• Andy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While I would still like to see the return of the script editor, I made the jump to SPFx and learnt how to make a web part and interact with the site.

If it helps anyone here make the transition, I have blogged my experience with micro snippets covering more or less everything you need to know:

https://www.deep-end.uk

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, do you need some examples of why the content editor and script editor are needed? Stop making things harder for us to develop solutions and make things easier. As tech develops it's supposed to get easier to use not harder.

• Vikrant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Script Editor WebPart is very important part of developer's life in SharePoint. Don't take it away from us

This web part being missing it preventing us from creating almost all new team sites in our large global enterprise corporation. The required functionality is just not there without. So we will end up in perpetual hybrid sites of modern comms site and the old classic pages for functionality. Please bring this back asap to increase user adoption of modern sites.

• Tom Burke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're in the same boat as the poster here: We aren't hard developers but can work in SEWPs very well. The Script Editor, if not the best addition to SharePoint Online, was easily top-three. We're disappointed that it's gone from modern as well. It had such utility.

• Juan Pineiro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How does requiring SPFX fit into empowering users? Bring back the Script Editor Web Part and give us more options and flexibility with page design and page real estate.. for example allow us to hide Title, Search, Logo, Publish Bar, Comment. Our users are not even interested in Modern until we viable migration path for the UI.

• AndyH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring this web part back, or provide a way to add HTML and JS to our modern pages. At the moment I have to use SharePoint Designer to create a classic page in my Site Pages library to get around this limitation. on modern sites

• Michael Beaver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I need to add HTML, CSS, or JavaScript to a page, I use the HTML Form Web Part. It works well for this type of content and there is no need to add anything other than the code. If I want to include a .js file, I use a content editor web part.

The only caveats are that the HTML Forms web part's source editor only works in Internet Explorer and the HTML source editor from the Content Editor is gone in the online version of SP.

Using these 2 web parts, I can get most things done.

• Jason Baxter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps there is a third option , Make the SPFX framework usable for everyone.

Veterans of SharePoint can't simply use this framework , Make it simpler.
    Make a webpart for it.
    Make it usable for citizen developers.
    i don't think anyone will mind if making customization that are sustainable is simpler have to be done through the framework.
    But i think most of us are like: "i just can't get it to work this is overly complex compared to copy paste our code."

• Veronique Palmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree 100%! We still use classic SharePoint wiki pages and we need to be able to hide the Recently Updated thing on the quick launch. Bring back the script editor please!

• Vishal Chorghe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring Script Editor webpart back in Modern Pages. In Our projects, we need custom scripts and CSS on every single page. Hope Microsoft will introduce script editor webpart in modern pages soon

• Robert Kocher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Because master pages are managed by central admin in IT, us site admins cannot modify the page layout to brand one knowledge base vs. another, or create specific functionality on pages to display only relevant content. SPx is not made for citizen developers in the business to keep up with the speed of change.

Please add script editor web part for Modern Sharepoint in Team & Communication site,.. Very much needfull

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base