SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Bring Back Script Editor Web Part in "Modern" SharePoint

The Script Editor Web Part has been replaced by the Content Editor (which does a very limited iframe) and the new SPFX stuff. I am not a developer, but knowledgeable in HTML, Javascript, CSS. The SEWP met some very complex use cases (targeted for replacement by SPFX), but also some very simple use cases.

Example: Insert a formatted single HTML button, something that is big, draws attention, and encourages the user to click it to start an action.

What might be just 2 lines of code, has now turned into (what looks like) hundreds of files of deployment, installing all kinds of tools that I have never heard of or know what they are actually doing in the background.

I am finding SPFX to be specifically geared toward professional developers and limiting "citizen" developers from adding just simple things to SharePoint pages. I am trying to learn it, but there are so many things above my head at this point, and my role is not to be a full-time developer.

This is to lobby to bring back the Script Editor Web Part to meet simple use cases

527 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Brent Ellis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Eriza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most useful app to change simple look and feel. Really hope it we be there soon, as it gave me headache every-time I want to make simple changes (eg: add background color, add border line).

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IMO Modern is basically crippled for any sort of basic customization. As a consultant I have to explain these limitations to clients, that Microsoft has sacrificed some of the most useful functionality in order to have the modern look and feel.

With this in mind I also let them know if they want something simple that we could normally do with a couple of lines of Javascript will now take a developer writing a custom app or SPFx which is just overkill in so many ways.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, I'm actually a fan of just the opposite way. I've been working with Frontpage / SharePoint Designer, SharePoint with Script Editor / Content Editor for more than 20 years.

And I've seen plenty of SharePoint sites / pages broken by a self-proclaimed "PowerUser" after adding malformed code or JavaScript carrying out flawed code causing a whole page not loading anymore.

I do understand Microsoft completely why all modern sites are no-script sites and from an admin & supportability point of view I am very happy how things are now.

However, from a UX / UI designer point of view it might not be the best solution how it works now, but seeing how Microsoft has improved the modern experience and its customization options over the past two years I am confident that more stuff is coming in the future.

sometimes we need to do simple things that requires adding a simple JavaScript.. i think it will be useful to have this back

Please keep SharePoint KISS ! Keep It Stupid Simple and add the Script Editor Webpart as we successfully worked with in the last 10 years !!!!

• Leland Usher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Leland Usher - without our tool sets we are diminished in providing what our customer are use to getting. As shiny as these new modern sites are, we are somehow crippled on how to extend capabilities without these scripting tools - please bring those back. Thank you

• Mubashshira commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES!!! Please bring back the SEWP.
        Learning new tools while understanding SharePoint Online is a huge impact on

• Miguel Ruiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

saddly i don't think this is going to happen as modern experience is leaning towards using the SP Framework.

Still I want to be able to do at least small CSS customizations.

• DC Admin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring back the script editor. It is hard to believe that you have to be a developer just to add a simple html button on a page. I have a good knowledge of JavaScript/jQuery and HTML, but I my blood runs cold at the current suggested alternative of creating a SPFX project. I have really tried to move away from classic SharePoint pages, but you are really not making it easy Microsoft. You seem to have both oversimplified and overcomplicated the development of pages both at the same time. At least please give the option of editing the html in the text editor.
        Hopefully you are working on a solution that will work for us SharePoint Power Users, not just full-blown developers.

• Robert Caretta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are other items with 1/10 the votes being worked on. What about Fabric UI, how are we supposed to add that easily to pages that don't allow code editing?

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yep - SharePoint was supposed to enable "power users" to quickly create collaboration spaces etc., but when they decided to remove the wysiwyg in SharePoint Designer, then abandon SPD altogether I just knew that us poor generalists in small to medium non-profits and enterprises would be screwed. Now this ridiculous impost on our limited resources is another slap in the face.

• John Guilbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree I'm afraid. My clients don't want full on development they just want out of the box with a tweak. I'm sorry Microsoft, but unless the clients want it you ain't gonna get people coding with the framework. As much as I love it....the clients are just not biting.

@Juan Pineiro - This should work for your use case. Once you run that powershell command I don't see any reason why you couldn't just drop in some javascript and call the Azure Function endpoint. In fact, I am doing just that and calling an API. Also within the modern pages there is a tool called "incoming webhook". Maybe that would also work for you by allowing the AZ function to push data on a schedule? Just a thought, I haven't tried it.

That piece appears to be disabled by default with new modern templates. After much struggling I was able to find some documentation on this and was able to turn it back on. You'll need to run a powershell command to enable the script editor.

You can not use the new modern page template for this to work. Use either the Wiki or Web Part page.

Set-SPOsite https://TENANT.sharepoint.com/sites/SITECOLLECTION -DenyAddAndCustomizePages 0

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/allow-or-prevent-custom-script-1f2c515f-5d7e-448a-9fd7-835da935584f?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

• Juan Pineiro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Something that at least allows us to integrate Azure functions into SPO pages and under the same domain and authentication without having to crack open and deploy SPFx for everything.

• Carl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, needs to come back. I love the modern design of SharePoint, but it's currently lacking so many features the old one had. A Script Editor can be used in so many different ways.

• NoSunBeach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also.. I think somewhere in SPOs Product Management and road map Microsoft complete lost there way and missed the point. WE ARE LOOKING FOR QUICK AND EASY WAYS TO MEET REQUIREMENTS. SEWP and NAPA were step in the right direction , but are now gone and replaced by what? Something 99% of power users will never dare touch??

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base