SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Stop opening links in new tab in modern pages

Please stop opening links in a new tab by default in modern pages.

It is against standard web behaviour (https://www.w3.org/TR/2012/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20120103/G200), and is confusing to users when they end up with 10+ tabs open when navigating even the simplest site.

Make it optional by all means, it makes sense in a number of cases, just please not by default.

1,087 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Cameron Monks shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

136 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wake up! 2 years? This is really stopping us from moving to new SharePoint! Modern experience is nearly unusable while you will not FIX this!

• Rav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very, very frustrating. Microsoft, think Users, User Interface. User Experience.

Fix the basics first!

• Terry Dell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is brutally poor user experience and should not take Microsoft more than a day to fix, yet the complaints are aging like a fine wine.

• Matt Budwill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MSFT... Address this UI issue. It's causing adoption problems!

Workaround:
    I've found this solved the issue when working with the Quick Links web part... instead of dropping the URL to a site, use the fully qualified URL to the actual homepage, so /sitepages/home.aspx.

Changed the behaviors to loading within the parent.

Again, this doesn't solve the issue for everything but if using QL web parts, there is a bit of control.

• Sev Derghazarian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this should be a choice rather than a random action. It causes issues with user experience and unnecessary end-user frustration. We are having to revert to using a SharePoint list for links to force consistent and expected behavior - quite unfortunate as this is a really nice looking and friendly way of providing links.

• Bruno Thiberge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Je rejoins toutes les remarques qui concernent l'ouverture systématique d'un nouvel onglet qui pollue le navigateur et conduit à ne plus s'y retrouver. Mauvaise expérience utilisateur.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Killing user adoption for us too. Can't understand how it's been implemented like this - completely goes against web standards.

PLEASE - Any update on this - last update almost 2 years ago :(

• SWalter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this? We are trying to implement SharePoint online and this new tab thing is totally killing our user adoption, they are like, fix it or I am not using it.

• Amy Gurski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is driving me completely bonkers. We should be able to click to open in the same window or CTRL-Click to open in a new window. It's impossible to "go back" to a previous page because finding the 1 tab that you need to go back to out of the 10 that just opened is impossible. When is this going to be fixed? I don't even see it on the list of updates that are in development!

• Derek Gusoff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I go to site contents, site pages, then click on a page, I now have three tabs open. How is this a desirable user experience?

• Jaime Hand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How long will this take to get fixed. Seams like a pretty major flaw that does not help user adoption.

• SWalter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are just starting to implement SharePoint Online, this automatic new tab thing is not helping to win users over to SharePoint. New users end up with way too many tabs open, don't know where they are at or which to go to, get frustrated and quit. This needs to get fixed!!

• Dawn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Opening links in new tabs should only be for external links outside of the SharePoint site/hub. Who in their right mind wants internal links to open in new tabs? This is especially true with Hub Sites since the entire point is to keep everything in the hub with a universal navigation bar accross the top. Stop the insanity!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base