SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Stop opening links in new tab in modern pages

Please stop opening links in a new tab by default in modern pages.

It is against standard web behaviour (https://www.w3.org/TR/2012/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20120103/G200), and is confusing to users when they end up with 10+ tabs open when navigating even the simplest site.

Make it optional by all means, it makes sense in a number of cases, just please not by default.

888 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Cameron Monks shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

104 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!
        No other application I have used ever enforces this behaviour

PLEASE FIX ASAP

• him commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now it's 1 Year since this "little" Problem is known and still not fixed :-|

• Nicolas Pottier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is not something hard to accomplish. I don't see any reason why it's taking so much time.....

Good IT solution is not always about fanzy nice (slow) UI. Its much more on how provide UX that has values for your business

FIX THIS! Does Microsoft really want to lose marketshare to Google Docs? Is it TRYING to kill SharePoint?

I'm hesitant to role SP 365 out to our users because this idiotic behavior may just be the straw that broke the camel's back. It's ridiculous that we admins have to beg this company for over TWO YEARS to get something as basic as this "feature" changed!

Agree, it is complete failure to not address only opening links in new tab. Provide an option. Regret move to modern due to limitations.

Adding yet another +1 to this. It is ridiculous to open new a new tab for every click. We're in a constant struggle with resources on our Citrix VDI environment and this really isn't helping.

I feel like we've been punished for moving from Classic pages to Modern pages.

Please fix asap

This was raised in Feb 2017 with a 'working on it' tag as May 2017... seriously? When are you going to fix this? It's ridiculous. Thanks.

• Justin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make this configurable. This is still relevant today 2 years later.

Agreed,, its very bad behavior. you need have the options like promoted links. if someone want to open in new tab he can if not he also can.

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A customer of ours is requesting that this feature become configurable. It is causing a lot of confusion because the number of tabs that are open in their browser after navigation the SharePoint portal.

• Ian Caldwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, this is bad web behaviour, and confusing for our users. Please provide global option or page-specific options to stop opening quicklinks in new tabs.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this irritating behaviour going to stop? We're looking at implementing Sharepoint Online and this one thing irritates my users to the point that they don't want to use Sharepoint and we're going to have to look at other options. This surely is a very simple change and I can't believe someone in Microsoft thought this was a good idea.

• Jared commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's almost a year of nothing. Just give up. I have.

Here's some shortcuts for quickly closing tabs.

Ctrl+W - Closes current tab
        Middle-click - Closes target tab
        Ctrl+Left-click - Closes target tab

My muscle memory is now;

Left-click link
        Point straight up and middle-click the tab
        New tab becomes main browse

Unfortunately there's obviously no 'back' options for that tab.

• Tracey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please stop opening a new tab by default. This is super confusing and annoying to end users. This should be optional and configurable for say, external links. This seriously hinders adoption of the new platform.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base