SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Stop opening links in new tab in modern pages

Please stop opening links in a new tab by default in modern pages.

It is against standard web behaviour (https://www.w3.org/TR/2012/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20120103/G200), and is confusing to users when they end up with 10+ tabs open when navigating even the simplest site.

Make it optional by all means, it makes sense in a number of cases, just please not by default.

741 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Cameron Monks shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

82 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Marc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This hurts user adoption. Please make this configurable or set the default to open links in the same tab. Any update on this?

• Lisa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried the fix by going to Internet Options Tabs and it didn't work. Every time I click to go into a new list or library a new tab opens.

Any news on this since last post?

This is SO annoying

• RobynC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also want to dictate if a link to an office document opens in online or app. Right now ?web=1 is being added to the URL and there are cases (large file for instance) where I'd like for it to just be downloaded instead.

• BarbC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could we get a status update on this issue to the roadmap please?

• lcasey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Interesting that Microsoft wants users to use the user voice to shape their products. Then they slap users in the face by not answering them. It's disrespectful to all the administrators that support Microsoft technologies.

• rhbeards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In one of my quick links web parts I was able to stop the new tab behavior by explicitly linking to the page I wanted, whereas before I was linking to the site and relying on homepage configuration to resolve the page.

This doesn't work on all of my quick links web parts for some reason, but it might be worth a try for others.

• Samantha Carr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely ridiculous...users are getting frustrated and this just adds to their reasons for not using SharePoint. Sort it out already

• Jared commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just add target= in the code already. It's been over a year and a half. It's just become nature to click a link, middle-click the old tab. If I forget to do this, I'm left with so many tabs open and lose what I was doing and where I was at.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft please respond. This is really frustrating behaviour and should not take that long to fix.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The solution re-quick links does not fix the issue when clicking on libraries and lists in the "Site Contents" page.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base