SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Make rename in Teams reflect name changes in Sharepoint?

When I rename a folder in the Teams app, the underlying folder is not renamed in sharepoint. This is most confusing.

1,593 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

137 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why did it take nearly a year and a half for a response from Microsoft on this? Seems to be an important issue.

• Leon Mimpen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really frustrating issue!
        When a Team / Channel is renamed, the associated team / folder in SharePoint (and vice versa) should be renamed accordingly.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe Microsoft hasn't responded because they're confused by the description, while everyone else knows what the original person intended by this suggestion.

If Microsoft is reading this feedback, the issue has to do with renaming a "Channel" in teams, which results in the corresponding SharePoint folder not being renamed. If you rename the folder in SharePoint to correspond to the updated channel name, when you click on the Open in SharePoint link, the link does not get updated and it says it cannot be found.

This needs to be fixed. It is really confusing. When a Team / Channel is renamed, the associated team / folder in SharePoint (and vice versa) should be renamed accordingly.

• Pink Phurree BCS Admin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, Please, Please resolve this issue Microsoft. Why not allow Admin change folder connected to the Files tab and/or change URL and/or allow SharePoint Document Library folder rename to "stick." I have easily confused audience preparing to use Microsoft Teams for the very first time - I want to make it seamless and easy to understand. Thank you!

• Maxim Mitrokhin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It will be great if the team owner can select which folder the channel files are linked to. This will be a simlpe fix to the problem so many organizations face now.

I spent 3 days with Microsoft Support telling me this was 'by design'. This issue is preventing us rolling out Teams.

It is really messy when someone creates a team or channel then realizes it needs a new name. Seeing a different Team name than the folder name for that Team is VERY confusing for users. We need to have it so when a Team is renamed the associated folder in SP gets renamed and visa versa.

Please fix this. A rename needs to propagate. You will make it harder to transition new users. It is very discouraging for folks that are uncomfortable with change to not understand why the folder they think they are putting files in is not the actual location.

• Candy Kirchner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have recently migrated from the old Sharepoint format to the online 365 version. We share and collaboration frequently with external partners, clients and subject matter experts. The UI functionality for renaming a Channel is complete inefficient and also makes us look dysfunctional as a strategic partner. It would really help to get this fixed.

I work with TEAMS and our team name change depending on the project we're working on. However, there are documents that we use for all the projects (scheduling, SOP, etc.) and it would help greatly if we can address this problem. Now what I need to do it's to transfer all these documents and create a new team...it really is not efficient.
        Thanks!

• Mike King commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Amazing that this basic capability is still sitting in the Microsoft backlog. I'm having a hard time justifying the continued use.

• Wen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Renaming team channel doesn't reflected on Folder name in SharePoint Document Library Folder is confusing user

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base