SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Page Layouts in Modern Pages

The modern pages are great, however there should be more flexibility such as being able to select different page layouts and would take the best from the old classic pages and incorporating with the new modern look and feel.

418 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Comments are closed
  • Leander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate
  • Keath Milligan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with most of the comments here. We are coming from other solutions and find the lack even the most basic layout control is a big gap from competing products.

Some things I would most like to see:
    * Full-width pages
    * And/or responsive pages that center the content rather than pushing it to the left.
    * Remove or control the excessive amount of white space between web parts
    * Embedding content from other apps (e.g. Power BI) in anything other than a single column section results in a postage stamp sized component - again due to excessive white space that can't be removed

• Jay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Modern page layouts don't span the width of the window. Notice how they have a fixed width?

Pretty terrible design Microsoft.

• Tina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why can I update the Meta description on Wiki Pages but not on Site Pages? This is especially annoying when trying to use the new Link Web Part because I can't update that data in order for it to show up!

• Daniel Westerdale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree . In addition the metadata model would also include custom content types, sub classed from (Pages, Events, News Articles and Documents. For example all related travel expenses for a company away day would be grouped separately from accommodation expenses.

• Beth Hall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just to clarify--
    The approach is to have a consistent Metadata field model across all categories of content (Pages, Articles, Events, Documents).
    Tell the highlighted content web part what fields to use and what locations to source from.
    Have the web part reveal all related items grouped by Pages, Articles, Events, Docs.

• Beth Hall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

By setting-up a metadata model that is consistent across all content types (Pages, Events, News Articles, Documents). Using both Taxonomy and Folksonomy property fields.

You should be able to use the "highlighted Content" web part to reveal related items. i.e. Related News Articles, related Pages, related Events, related Documents.

Example:

Reveal Related Topics/Pages:
    Web Part Set to use the following fields from this page's properties
    - Keyword field
    - Department, Location, Product Managed Metadata fields
    - Topic Owner

Should reveal all site pages with the same metadata,
    Sort weighted based on # of terms in common.
    Administer defines the required # of terms in common for an item to be included.

Define the meta columns to match, and the source lists and libraries within the Hub, that you want to include in the reveal list.
    Use one web part, to list all the sources grouped by the souce location.
    This would reduce the effort to set-up multiple highlighted content web parts.
    You should be able to edit the grouping titles.

• Kim Frehe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allowing us to define page layouts with predefined web parts and content areas on the page is critical for any any enterprise type of solution, especially where you want to introduce consistency.

• sru commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for responding!! Earlier we did not have the option, now I can see support for multiple sections and this is great.
    Can we adjust the widths of these sections by any way? I can see we can adjust height using the Size option.

• Kevin Gunther-Canada commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am all for a new model for SP pages, but right now without the ability to have more granular control over the page layout, it's hard to create "conventional" websites. I can see where MS wants to go, but PLEASE give us something BEFORE deprecating the Publishing feature!

• a69yazz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Interface looks real good. Can we have column based layouts for adding web parts just like in other versions of sharepoint.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And modern Page Layouts would allow the creation of pages by end-users with a predefined set of content such as SPFx WebParts (preconfigured).

On top of that, add the integration of page properties (metadata) so that we can display them on the page.

• Pieter Veenstra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be useful if the creation of page layouts was something that normal users could do by exporting the sections and columns from an existing modern page. So a bit like exporting a site into a template but then for a page, creating page layouts.

• Praveen Battula commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1000 I reported about this long time back and pushing for this feature wherever possible. This is one of the key module for SharePoint to success.

• Stefan Bauer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The publishing possibilities shown in the new communication sites serve a great insight of possibilities to create content in SharePoint. While this is an suitable approach for user generated content such as in Wikis there is a high demand to provide a consistent corporate wide communication.
    In the past this was possible through page layout option which is now missing and removes the ability for corporate communication departments to manage, plan and organise the content to communicate.
    In addition the missing page layout option lead to inconsistent and at least time consuming page creation. It will be hard to recreate the same page again because all asset types and content elements needs to be placed in the exact same order on the new page.From previous project mostly two to three page layout where enough to provide an efficient way to create and orchestrate content creation with enough flexibility. The current page variant selection is not an appropriate equivalent.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base