SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Create Groups sites under /Teams and Communications sites under /Sites

Communications sites should not be created in the same managed path as Groups sites. They are not managed the same way and don't follow the same rules.

At least, allow the selection of the path on the create screen.

59 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Benoît Fournier shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Benoît Fournier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update? We can go around this limitation by creating a «Modern Team Site (STS#3)» whereever we want and then connect to a group but this process is much slower.

By the way, this same trick allows us to set language and default language.

• Dennis.Wallman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The logic behind this decision escapes me Microsoft, please allow us to choose the path, or at least let admins make the choice.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Path’s were originally used for separating like but uniquely managed groupings of sites. Adding a “Groups” option to paths would make management policies much clearer

• Christi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not think this is a good idea as we use "/sites" versus "/teams" for a very specific purpose. Instead, identify each site type that generate a SPO site by that specific application. MSTeams sites should have /msteams, Yammer should have /yammer, Groups should have /group in the managed path. Make it easier to manage all these sites that get spun up with a SharePoint site which is now consuming precious storage space that I can not even analyze in the current state.

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allowing us the option to configure the managed paths for Comm and Team sites would be very helpful. Our org is moving to a flatter structure and moving away from subsites in preparation for Hubs. Allowing teams sites to be places under /teams would be more intuitive.

• Grant Harmeyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also offer that it would be helpful to be able to create managed Communication Sites or Team/Group sites through the SharePoint Online Admin Center. We us PnP heavily and giving the Partner Pack or admins the ability to create these sites in a governed intake manner would be helpful.

• Patrick Nehm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is important to us as well.
        Right now I change the setting before creating a new Comm. Site or Group, but this doesn´t work, once we start creating more groups and sites.

Feedback and Knowledge Base