SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Set "Communication Site" as Root site collection

For organisations that would like to use Communication site as their intranet it would be great if you could provision the root site as a Communication site, rather than a team site with a redirect to the communication site.

There is a workaround as mentioned here but i'd prefer a Microsoft supported method https://hangconsult.com/2017/06/29/change-sharepoint-online-root-site-collection-to-use-the-new-communication-site-template/

723 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Con shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

34 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • jg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found a solution to this issue and I am so happy about it. Microsoft also provided some updates on the ignite that occurred this week.

• Ciprian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Microsoft, any updates on this? You've been thinking about it for more than a year. I mean, this is a pretty basic requirement urgently needed by any company with an intranet.

• Chris Helsby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to have the root site and indeed create communication sites within the /sites/ managed path via Powershell and Central administration is very important. Self-service site creation is still not viable for many intranets.

• Grant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ideally a Communication site, but even a Modern Team Site (without associated o365 group) would be ok.

Still think it's crazy that you can't do this - would have thought that the root site collection would have been the first one to allow for the Modern Sites as it's almost every tenant's landing page.

• Simon Hudson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a key requirement that the top level Site Collection can act as a full Communications Site. It seems like this is the most obvious use of Comms sites.
        Failing that there needs to be a simple way to redirect the root directly to a chosen Home Page on a Comms site

• Graham Potter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be seen as a critical fix. You can already make a top level site collection a HUB, and so it makes total sense that we at least have the option to have the root site collection be based off a truly modern communications site (or any other modern site).

• Chris Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This option was on the slides for coming to SHarePoint in the design sessions at SPC. They are adding the comm site template as an option.

• Marcel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We definitely want a modern Communications site as root site too.

The only alternative is to buy/develop a custom theme, but that may break with future O365 developments. Getting OOTB functionality is our main reason to move to O365...

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base