SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Set "Communication Site" as Root site collection

For organisations that would like to use Communication site as their intranet it would be great if you could provision the root site as a Communication site, rather than a team site with a redirect to the communication site.

There is a workaround as mentioned here but i'd prefer a Microsoft supported method https://hangconsult.com/2017/06/29/change-sharepoint-online-root-site-collection-to-use-the-new-communication-site-template/

854 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Con shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

55 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gabibis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

if I have a Classic Publishing root site today with various subsites, what happens to those subsite when we run the CommSite PowerShell cmdlet? Do those stay as they are, or are those deleted?

• kyas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was counting on this coming in January as per announcement.

Sharepoint usage is very fragmented, and I am looking at alternatives now.

Any idea when this could be delivered?

• Markus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Update please. Can this be expected within the next few weeks or are we talking months?

• Stephen Kowalski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft really needs better communication around the release of key features. This is a critical feature required for many updates or launches of Intranets. Telling my boss, "Microsoft said, 'soon', so it could be tomorrow, or next year, or maybe never!" isn't great.

• GanL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

will this be released to the tenants in NA soon ? what is the release timeline?

• Max Goss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi guys, can you let us know when this will hit general availability? We are particularly interested in the search across org scope which seems to be available by default at the root site level whereas other site collections are scoped to site collection search by default. I think this is a key feature for Intranets based on modern SharePoint architecture. Any update would be appreciated.
        -Max

• Matt Hong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I have a Classic Publishing root site today with various subsites, what happens to those subsite when we run the CommSite PowerShell cmdlet? Do those stay as they are, or are those deleted?

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base