SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Set "Communication Site" as Root site collection

For organisations that would like to use Communication site as their intranet it would be great if you could provision the root site as a Communication site, rather than a team site with a redirect to the communication site.

There is a workaround as mentioned here but i'd prefer a Microsoft supported method https://hangconsult.com/2017/06/29/change-sharepoint-online-root-site-collection-to-use-the-new-communication-site-template/

982 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Con shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

66 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Rick Stewart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Saw this in my Admin site as a new feature! Unfortunately, I don't think we can take advantage of the Powershell cmdlet because we have the classic publishing features activated (managed navigation, custom theming, using CQWP and CSWP). Hoping MS expands this to give folks like us the ability to convert.

• Your Name commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel like when MS actually specifies a month or quarter it's going to be released, that is hit less than 25% of the time, need to submit a uservoice for that.

• Andy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Andy Haon - Can you confirm how people would navigate to this site/page?

Is the only way to get to this site by typing in the URL in a browser or are people directed here another way?

• Andy Haon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi all,
    My name is Andy Haon and I work in the SharePoint Experiences product team. First off, thanks for your continued interest in this feature.

We are actively in development on enabling the ability to activate the Communication site feature at the root site of existing Office 365 tenants. We’ve been rolling out the capability that new Office 365 tenants get a Communication site at the root, but for a variety of reasons enabling this capability for existing tenants has gone longer than our original planned schedule. At this point, we expect to start rolling this out in early Q2 (April) and plan to complete the rollout overall by the end of Q2 (June).

You can see this item on our public roadmap - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=46338

Thanks again for your support and patience on this one, and please know that we want to get this out to as soon as possible, with high quality. Thx, Andy

• Gabibis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

if I have a Classic Publishing root site today with various subsites, what happens to those subsite when we run the CommSite PowerShell cmdlet? Do those stay as they are, or are those deleted?

• kyas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was counting on this coming in January as per announcement.

Sharepoint usage is very fragmented, and I am looking at alternatives now.

Any idea when this could be delivered?

• Markus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Update please. Can this be expected within the next few weeks or are we talking months?

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base