SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Set "Communication Site" as Root site collection

For organisations that would like to use Communication site as their intranet it would be great if you could provision the root site as a Communication site, rather than a team site with a redirect to the communication site.

There is a workaround as mentioned here but i'd prefer a Microsoft supported method https://hangconsult.com/2017/06/29/change-sharepoint-online-root-site-collection-to-use-the-new-communication-site-template/

949 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Con shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

61 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Chris Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This option was on the slides for coming to SHarePoint in the design sessions at SPC. They are adding the comm site template as an option.

• Marcel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We definitely want a modern Communications site as root site too.

The only alternative is to buy/develop a custom theme, but that may break with future O365 developments. Getting OOTB functionality is our main reason to move to O365...

• Ciprian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such a must. Especially for large intranets that benefit from full width landing pages. Like Joel said earlier, Comms template should have been the default, makes no sense to make the Team template as default for root, no sense at all.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would also be good to be able to create Communication sites under the "sites" path and not just under the "teams" path.

I am very interested in when the root site can become a modern communication site, and how to minimize impact on existing content/site structure

Agreed. We need this option right away. Quick launch bar on the left is a waste of space since we already have navigation on top. Also, Comm site look much more sleeker and professional for your home page. Teams and department´s pages can use the team site template.

• Joel Chmiel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To be honest, I cannot understand why this wasn't in the first release? Assuming we're all moving to modern, does a team site with site pages make sense as the root for mid to large sized organizations? Is there some other plan for the root site if not a Communication Site in the Modern world? If not, we need this feature right away! My humble opinion, SharePoint team, you need to provide a story around the purpose for the root site if the vision is not for it to be a Communication Site. The root site is the first step in a planned migration to modern, and I don't have a validated direction to give to our leadership.

• Phil Maynard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A short term fix would simply be to enable the creation of a page with the Communication Site page layout options within ANY site with 'Site Pages' activated. This would enable us to use the new style pages within existing sites - including the root SharePoint site. Either way, please give us a solution soon!

• Nik Patel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has anyone seen a comparison list of #SharePoint publishing sites vs communication sites as an intranet platform (mostly focused on large organizations)?

Can we delete the root site and create a communication site at the root? Or does the SP create site link only support wildcard managed paths?

• Tomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

..or better add the ability to remove the navigation for all modern sites/pages :)

• Toni Pohl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Setting the "Communication Site" template as Root site collection really makes sense, pls. enable that, SharePoint team! Thx.

• Chris Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can verify that deleting and using PowerShell to recreate the root site as a communication site is not possible either.

Feedback and Knowledge Base