SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Ability to resize images on modern pages

I'd like to be able to resize an image directly from the modern pages image webpart. This is really annoying that the pages are so easy to create but that you can't control the image size on the page.

524 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

While we’ve added the ability to crop images and display specific aspect ratios (by clicking on the image); however, the column size (1/3, 1/2, 2/3, etc.) the page author has selected decides the size of all the web parts in that section.

We are looking at ways to make this more flexible for images, without making it odd for other web parts, but haven’t finalized our approach yet.

30 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really frustrating as such a basic ask takes so long to deliver by the User Experience team from MS. While spending tons of hours with additional features, they should fix basic first to give consistent experience.

This is a major bone of contention for me and the Modern design. I am still looking for the answer myself.

• s.conti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

if I apply a filter based on any tag, the returned thumbnail list is limited to 5-6 object (1 browser row).
    How can I deal with this if I have hundreds of photo to preview?
    the "other" link is not practical...

When will this be available, the image re-sizing is really lacking in SharePoint online compared to SharePoint 2013. And this is a real complaint from end-users.

• Yiru Chen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the some issue, totally agree with the suggestion. it is quite awkward to work on images and webparts on the page

• Colm Counihan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While waiting on any update in relation to MS Office client app style resizing of images within the modern page experience. I recommend that people use images (ok I'm talking about photographs mainly that have been taken on mobile phones by non-Photographers) that have been captured in landscape mode (or 16:9 aspect ratio). These images seem to work well on the SharePoint pages.

Any update on this?

What team is working on it? I assume its the User Experiences team? There have been some nice developments/enhancements with a WOW factor and that demonstrate well (in short presentations) and I welcome these..

however the Page creation experience , in particular when it comes to images, for end users needs some attention.

the other peculiar thing I've noticed is that the page editor seems to enlarge the images. This is NOT a good experience. For example I took some screenshots from the mobile app , uploaded to SP , with the intention of creating an article to demonstrate/explain/introduce the mobile app. The screenshot doesn't even fit on a single screen within the web browser. So I've to scroll to see the entire screenshot. I get that SharePoint is supposed to be responsive .. i.e. it will scale the image down so it displays on a mobile device.. however , the experience when viewing the page in the web browser on a laptop is not an expected one.. Why doesn't the image on the laptop display on the one screen without my having to scroll? Am I don't something wrong?

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am astounded that this is not possible - this is 2019!

• René Henriksen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You might now be able to crop the image, but have no idea what size you've cropped the image to (without using F12). Please let that information be visible to the editor.

A year later and the image problem still has not been addressed - unbelievable!

• HarzicN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too spent far too long trying to work out how to resize images--you can crop but not resize. I reverted to searching online only to find out it cannot be done. Any update on when this will be available? That would be great. Thanks.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base