SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Support inviting external users to multiple SharePoint security groups

It appears that when you add an external user to a site collection security group in SharePoint Online and then add them to another security group in the same site collection, if the user hasn't accepted the invite yet then they will only be granted permissions to the second security group.

For example, if I create a new site collection and I add an external user to the Visitors group then an invite email is sent to the user. If I then add that same user to a second security group and the user hasn't yet accepted my invite, then a second sharing invitation email is sent with the same GUID and redirects the invite link to point to the second security group.

In this example, if the Visitors group has read rights over the entire site and the second security group has access to a specific doc library only, then the user will be presented with an Access Denied page for the site when they click on the accept sharing link in the invitation email when they should have been granted access to the site and the doc library as they were invited to both groups.

I would like SharePoint Online to be able to handle multiple security groups when sharing a site with external users.

Hope that makes sense...

James.

86 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

James Brennan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base