SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Modern Content Editor Web Part

It would be nice to have the option to place a web part on a modern page and add HTML to it. We don't always want to jump to SPFx for something simple. It would help add some flexibility to the modern pages.

96 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ben shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I realize this when my current organization disable the feature and CEWP no more available .

CEWP should available by default in classic /modern page for O365 .

Without a way to customize a page, SharePoint is just a document repository. The webpages that can be built as Modern pages are laughably useless except to show that there is some type of customizable functions available. A good web page has 'pop', but the modern page, as currently designed, is very boring and limited as to what can be displayed. The Content web part and the Script Editor web part provide the required capabilities to fully customize SharePoint as a viable web platform and will provide the 'pop' webpages need to be user friendly.

As far as providing power users the ability to mess things up, well, there should be consequences for trashing a site and the offender should be reprimanded or fired. Power user permissions shouldn't given to everyone. Only a few trusted individuals, like site administrators or developers should be allowed to edit pages. Locking down SharePoint is not difficult. Saying no for some is. One bad apple shouldn't spoil it for the rest of the users.

• Jim Shelley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work for the DOD, and currently using SPFx is not going to be a possibility for us. It just requires too many admin permissions in the tool chain.

Using CEWPs with javascript has been our first choice with more involved solutions. Please consider adding this as an option for modern pages.

As already mentioned on another uservoice. I'd rather NOT like to get back into the Content Editor disaster with self-proclaimed "PowerUser" adding CSS & Javascript into modern pages.
    The drawbacks to allow this to CONTENT AUTHORS is far to much and the risks to break standard functionality is too hight.
    Please Microsoft, leave such powerful options to allow John Doe to add potentially flawed CSS & JavaScript out of their scope.

• Dhaval Raval commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great to have content editor webpart to alter CSS and inject javascript in modern pages

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Sean...that is a really nice solution, but I need a web part to read query strings taken from the URL so that I can have a single page that is dynamic.

• Tim Wootton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree, i'm so bemused by the way this platform is going, give us back the tools that made Sharepoint a useful tool and stop tooling around with us. I couldn't give a monkeys about adding embed code or quick charts I want my Charts Web Part, The Content editor, The Script editor, you know the useful stuff that made it possible for us to be dynamic and agile in the deployment of solutions. I get the move to a new platform but limiting the modern environment to SPFx is insane.

Feedback and Knowledge Base