SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Full-Width Column Webpart available to Team Site Template

In the Modern Experience, allow the option to add "Full-Width Column" webpart. Currently, this is exclusively available for Communication Site template. Would be great to have this available for Team Site template. It does not look aesthetically appealing have this area of white space on the right hand on a site page.

409 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

86 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Beardy Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm still not clear as to why it isn't available as an option.

Let people decide what works for them instead of forcing us to lose half our screen to white space. Having everything justified left looks ridiculous and makes the site look amateurish.

This is unacceptable.

• Lisa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES!! when is this going to happen? Currently designing a webpage and it just looks stupid on larger screens with so much redundant space that we can't even do anything with - just want things to contract and expand according to screen size like everything else in the world.

• Louise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am responsible for the SP site where a list resides with views of 19 columns. For the users, all the columns must be viewable at the same time - for them to be able to have a quick and easy overview.
    Currently they can have 9 viewable fields.

Please enable the full-width page.
    Our navigation is at the top (communication site), so I just want a full full-width page (no nav to either side)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have removed the left hand navigation on my team site (it's now a Hub site so I have the top hub navigation) so the page now looks really odd especially on wide screens.

The unused space to the right accounts for 40% of my screen.

The justification should be centered and the page should be more responsive to fit wider screens.

• Beatriz Rolando commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, we had same experience: the full-width column is available in communications sites but we would need to add them in SITE COLLECTION for which we add a new page and made it the home one.
    Like that, we got a modern experience for our Site Collection, but still not available the full-width column

• bcobra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ability at page level to set full width, remove quick navigation, remove first header web part, remove ribbon area(add options to settings gear), and remove site header. Basically a blank canvas where you can select each individual part as you need it. Nested web part areas would be appreciated too. At least one level of nesting. an example would be a 1/3 right layout in which i could then add a 2 column layout in the larger left side.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Use the Focus button concept that was in SharePoint 2013. We can't understand why that was removed. Let me know if you don't know what that is. If someone adds a full-width webpart it simply sets the default for the page to have the focus on and quick launch hidden - this should be something that can be managed at the page level, not something you have to restrict on the entire site. This is the only thing i can see different between the communications site template and the teams site template for modern sites.

If you provide the option of removing the left navigation, the page should respond by filling available space or at least following the comm site layouts. Without the left nav everything gets tucked to the left and it looks awful. In general anyway there is way too much white space and padding everywhere in SharePoint. Streamlining that would mean more content is available higher up on pages and would allow perhaps adding a 4 column option on pages.

• Jace Copier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Remove the max-width, or increase the max-width limitation to the section of the page which holds the webparts. Most monitors are upgrading to 4k monitors and the max-width limitation is confusing. Allow the webpart sections to be more responsive for larger screens. Instead of floating the columns left. Allow the to flex and justify space between. This will spread out the white space, allow the webpart sections breathing room and get rid of the wasted white space on the right.

• Sebastian Hofer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me it's also about the wasted white space on the right side, which I would like to use for content. The navigation should stay where it is.

• james commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My view would be it be good to have Teams sites, that can be configured to look like communication sites, and have the navigation at the top, we have a hub collection, and want to use teams sites for the functionality of using teams which we can’t have with comms sites, but prefer the look of comms sites with the top bar navigation, as it makes it easier to navigate the site and sites with both menus being at top. So solution would be to have full width hero by allowing teams site to have navigation at top.

• Chris Gillotti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would say it should operate the same way it does for a communication site. If you have the left hand navigation enabled/showing, it should take up the remaining space. If it is disabled, it would take up all the available space. Regardless, it has to be centered, as it is right now if you hide the left hand navigation everything is off center making for a terrible user experience.

• Rothrock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The header and command bar take up the whole width -- it would seem you understand how that would look. Do the same for the content section and allow the content to do the same. Embrace responsive design!

• Kristine Burns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it would work the same way. I put the side menu on the additional site pages. However the landing page would have the widescreen view.

• Tyler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would look just like it does now, expect it wouldn't have a big white space on the right side of the page. Or if you gave an option to remove the left nav on team sites and just have a top nav then this would be even easier.

• Christopher Moyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For my team, the concern is that on any screen wider than 900px, there's wasted white space on the right of the page. Having a responsive column that takes up the full width between the left navigation and the right side of the window will make sites that want wider list views be able to meet their goals. A Communication Site offers this option (granted without the left navigation), but is not necessarily appropriate when you want the other features of a Team Site, such as left navigation, integration with Office Groups, etc. In our company, all monitors and even laptops run at resolutions at least 1080px wide, with many at 2k and some at 4k, and so the white space to the right on a Team Site is very noticeable and wasteful. Hope this helps clarify!

Either not have the navigation on said page or have the ability to have width begin below navigation on Left

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base