Enhance view and column formatting
- Provide an out of the box facility via the web interface to allow users to make selections to modify the formatting rather than having to generate the JSON themselves.
- Allow the JSON to be specified with a file reference rather than having to put the code directly in a field. (See also user voice entry: Allow View Formatting to reference external file, https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/forums/329214-sites-and-collaboration/suggestions/35836723-allow-vi...).
- Prompt for updating view formatting JSON when someone with appropriate rights changes the display width of a field.
- Allow the Name field for a document to be formatted via view formatting and improve the formatting capabilities via column formatting (some things can be done using @currentField)
- Allow comments in JSON used for formatting (or at least provide tools to limit VS Code to allow only what SharePoint JSON formatting allows)
- Display an indicator on the list or library Settings page for each column that has column formatting set.
- Provide JSON formatting controls to modify grouping display.
- Support automatic redrawing as items update in list and library web parts.
- Add custom date formats and date parts.
- Enhance string operations.
- Support formatting of rich text.
Cynthia Weyrens commented
I see great value in implementing these ideas.
View/List formatting is so powerful, it's nice to have an alternative that is more accessible to our 'citizen developers'. JSON I can teach, programming is a reach.
This proposed change has lots of nice ideas on how to make the formatting a bit safer and more robust. Being able to link to a document in SiteAssets would make sure JSON code isn't accidentally lost if someone clears it out or removes a field.