Improve PDF Online Viewing
Deliver a Consistent and Modern PDF file viewing on SharePoint Online
Currently if a user clicks on a PDF the file is displayed in the SharePoint PDF viewer. This viewer has many major short-comings including:
1) Does not give access to PDF Bookmarks (outline)
2) Previous and Next page function is buried at the bottom of the image and only appears if you hover there.
3) There is no page Tile View - common to most PDF viewers.
If you "Open In Browser" In Microsoft Edge:
You can now bring up the list of bookmarks in the PDF (outline) but:
A) The book mark list disappears if you click on the document
B) if you bring up the bookmark list again it no longer has the bookmark highlighted
C) when you click on a bookmark it does not follow the attached rules within the document for how to fit the page
D) It does not appear to have a "page up and down" option on the menu bar
SharePoint is a World Class document management system and should have a World Class PDF viewer.
As an example (ONLY an Example). The Open Source viewer PDF.js has all the major PDF viewer capabilities (from Mozilla). [an Example Only].
1) Upgrade the SharePoint PDF Viewer
2) Allow the ability to Open In Browser to be set to a site collection/account default.
3) Add a solution to add a default mechanism to display PDF files using a customer script at the site collection/account level
The best solution by far is 1) above. It would also give SharePoint the ability to open a PDF at a particular page (useful for search results)