SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Responsive design

The mobile views are not a solution, so many customers turn to custom design, but I would rather a responsive design be built into SharePoint.

586 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kristian Mosti shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the suggestion! In the past several months, we have released a series of new interfaces for SharePoint Online, all of which are responsive (e.g, modern list, modern document library, modern team site home page, new site connect page, and modern site page, etc.). We also released mobile apps across iOS, Android, and UWP platforms. Hope these help you better work on mobile and on the go. Let us know if you have any new feedback/followups.

26 comments

Comments are closed
    • Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new interfaces are not even close to what they should be. They come with a whole new set of limitations. There's no way they're ready for production.

• Josh S. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will the new interfaces be available for on-premise? Where can we find more info or a demo?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nobody asked for the modern experience. What was requested was making THE EXISTING design responsive. I realize it's easier to come up with something new than to wrestle with the archaic legacy SP framework, but it has just added another level of confusion in an already appallingly disorganized product. So, thanks but no thanks.

I would like to add that the new SharePoint mobile view is much better in comparison to what was before the New Experience, which removed the Lookup field limit of more than 20 items and ability to see all the fields. That being said, the New Experience design should reflect the modern day responsive design that has greatly affected the productivity of mobile usage.

• P O commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Responsive design is desperately needed. There are too many different screens my users are on. work monitor widescreen 32"x18", tablets, ios & android variations. I would like to have complete control of the master template for sharepoint online.

Glad to see this is in progress. We need this very soon, so it would be great to have more details. I don't see this on the roadmap to know timing, and what does "tackling the problem starting with the highest traffic workloads" mean? Not sure what "highest traffic workloads" is.

• Star D. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would like to recommend Discussion Boards be included in the features you add to the responsive mobile design (I'm not sure how high traffic they are).

We encourage use of the Discussion Board app as a replacement to email requests for feedback/consensus where a formal approval like a workflow is not needed, so it is a tool that we'd really like to see added.

Currently, you cannot access them from a mobile device unless you switch to PC View, which is too small.

• Gro Elin Hansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why not simply have a SharePoint app, like for the other Office 365 tools? It strikes me as really odd that you don't even have an app. I'm not saying there should be an app for everything, but I can't see the use case for _not_ having it. It's 2016.

• Greg Burns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, I was all set to complain that there are practically no cosmetic changes to the SP 2016 site design, least of all an option for Responsiveness... then I saw this:

Announcing Responsive UI Package for SharePoint on-premises (2013 and 2016)
      http://dev.office.com/blogs/announcing-responsive-ui-package-for-sharepoint-on-premises-2013-2016

The Patterns and Practices team (PnP) have released a simple hack to add responsiveness to most of your sites, using JavaScript, xml, and css... and no custom master pages. It just renders the page as responsive after it loads.

Watch the video here:
      https://channel9.msdn.com/blogs/OfficeDevPnP/SharePoint-Responsive-UI-Package-for-on-premises-SP-2013-and-SP-2016

This is an open source solution, which means Microsoft won't offer premier support for it, but then again, you can get support from the PnP team via Yammer. It also means "you can do whatever you want with it" including customizing it or grafting it into your own solution. And it's just a couple of PowerShell commands to deploy it, no graphics design degree required.

This solution applies to SharePoint 2013 and 2016, not SharePoint Online.

• Adriana Wood [Microsoft] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The SharePoint Patterns and Practices program (PnP) published a solution providing the capability to enable Response UI for on-premises Site Collections in SharePoint 2013/2016. The solution leverages JavaScript embedding and CSS overriding, to make responsive the out of Box UI of a classic team site.

Check it out on GitHub
      https://github.com/OfficeDev/PnP-Tools/tree/master/Solutions/SharePoint.UI.Responsive

Let us know what you think

• Paul Fox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hunh! "People expect to get work done on their smartphones?" yeah, I have this 4 sheet linked Excel workbook and I need to update the function on Cell 23. Let's see you accomplish that on a smartphone "cause its critical" What's next, editing documents on your iWatch?

• Nik Patel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is must.. bring it on.. I am not sure when was the last time I had to build non-responsive portals on SharePoint platform. There are so many limitations with existing layouts and web parts. All of them should be redesigned with responsive frameworks.

• Mathias Belevid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its realy important to lift the layout and responsiveness. Users want to have a freash system. Everyone use mobile devices and different brans today!

• Greg Burns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh, and by the way, don't use Delve for everything. I know Delve is a responsive way to present content, but it's terrible for many scenarios where a tabular view of list items and documents would be sufficient. I don't know anyone who prefers Delve. It's a novel way to present search results, sure, but please don't make it the new standard. It's annoying.

• Rick de Vries commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Needs to be done. Even for internal use portals, people and/or clients expect to interact with their digital workplace instead of a semi-solution which only takes the default SharePoint structure into account (apps/subsites). There is no customization possible. I understand that you will have to work away the current legacy of the designs, but taking the easy path with this "responsive" layout is NOT the way to go.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, use a well known framework, I for one vote bootstrap or boilerplate.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base