I suggest you ....

Remove the limit (5,000 items) on SharePoint Document Library Syncing

The sync limit does not match OneDrive for Business, and adds complexity to the end user experience, administration and architecture of SharePoint. Please remove this sync limit.

1,754 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Oliver BartholdsonOliver Bartholdson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Remove 5000 item limit  ·   · 

We understand how important it is for you to be able to sync every document library, not just ones with this surprising limit, and how confusing it is that OneDrive for Business no longer has the same limitation with our new sync client.

As we announced in our recent OneDrive for Business updates, we’re working on enabling our new sync client to sync team site libraries, which will also remove this limitation: https://blogs.office.com/2016/04/12/onedrive-for-business-recognized-as-an-efss-leader-and-continues-momentum-with-spring-updates/

Thanks again for your patience.

26 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • larslars commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This really needs to be removed. You cannot just tell to open an extra library. Imagine a company which is growing with Marketing material. In the midst of scaling the a required to reorganize their filestructure cause of this limitation. Then when they grow further they need to do it again, again and again....

Also we are thinking about Dynamics CRM integration with a lib. I can only imagine how hard it will be, once there are more than 5k documents in the CRM, which happens fast.

This limitation currently makes us think about quitting from Dynamics CRM and maybe Office 365 altogether.

The New Client does not solve the problem until the limitation on a single library is lifted

• TimTim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Google Drive was so easy. Small business here with only 30 gig and not being able to sync it all to my computer because an item limit is just ridiculous. Switched to Office 365 for business for an updated excel and word across users.. Not worth it and may go back to gmail and just get consumer 365.

• Jamie McallisterJamie Mcallister commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even when the view is filtered on indexed columns to be under 5k items guess what? The column filters etc give error messages when dropped down. Plus column indexing doesn't appear to work on Document Set columns so greater than 5k document sets causes the views to fail. This sucks so bad, and the people in the business who pay the bills think so too, which should be a worry.

• Anne HawleyAnne Hawley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The 5,000 document limit is a SharePoint restriction. I have come across this problem at a previous project. Our solution was to arrange our library using folders. Yes, it was cumbersome, but our capacity increased tremendously - we were allowed to use 5,000 folders with infinite sub-folders and documents. Plus, we were able to sort by column headers, which made document control much easier.

• Fatima Ali-SalaamFatima Ali-Salaam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Believe it or not, libraries are meant to grow. There is not suppose to be a limit. I can tell you right now that businesses I have personally helped build libraries in SP that are well over 10,000 documents. Multiple libraries? Really?

• TedTed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree the 5000 item list view threshold is unacceptable. We work hard to get our business users to adopt SharePoint and then they get hit with the warning. We then have to explain to them the various hoops they have to jump through to continue using it with the massive amounts of data they are collecting. Uncool.

• OlleOlle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excellent, I full support this proposal as well. We recently switched to Ofiice 365 to get away from maintaning a local server in our office. However with this limitation we are not able to sync all the folders and files we need. When will it be released?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The 5,000 limit is UNACCEPTABLE . . . .we can't work in this environment - what's the point of having everything online if we are restricted in such a terrible fashion. WE have documents going back to the 70s and creating multiple document libraries is not an option . . .

Ref ticket ID#616051191467319

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The 5000 item limit for a signle library seems very low. If you are offering 1.59 TB then why have such a low limit. My liraries have exceeded 5000 items for 3 months and now I am experiencing slowness issues. I have rolled this out the entire company and we can not use it.

• José EspasesJosé Espases commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully support this proposal, too. I know that we can use the workaround creating indexes and filters, but the limit is there and as soon as a user creates a new view, for instance a document library view without folders names, then it will return more than 5000 ítems...

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base