SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

A Full Featured Forms Editor to replace InfoPath

So Infopath 2013 is supported in 2016, but SharePoint really needs a full modern full-featured forms editor. FoSL looks promising but the functionality is not clear at this time.

508 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Darrell Johnson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As announced at Ignite 2017 – we are releasing support for custom form creation in SharePoint using PowerApps. This capability is rolling out to PROD now. For more details, check out: https://myignite.microsoft.com/sessions/53854?source=sessions and https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Ignite-Content-2017/Transforming-business-processes-into-Microsoft-PowerApps-and/m-p/99249#M782

28 comments

Comments are closed
    • Barbara Garrett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I used to have people design their form using word - then I would import them into InfoPath, clean up a few things, hook it to a database using a webservice, and publish. I could create forms the way the "end-user" wanted, allow them to update their forms in production such as changing labels - and did it in less than 4 hours from word to final product. PowerBi does not do that!

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

BOOM! IT'S DONE? In no way is PowerApps as currently released a replacement for InfoPath. I think you need to go back to the drawing board on this one.

• Matt “SpE” Spewak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree that PowerApps is not a viable replacement for InfoPath. I support an R&D organization with 30,000 users. We have thousands of InfoPath forms that were built by end-users to create simple business enabling applications.
      InfoPath was a business user capable application that allowed end users to easily develop solutions. PowerApps in its current iteration is no where near approachable for most business end-users. It is built like a mobile app development tool, not a form development tool. The biggest gap I see is the ability to easily and quickly set rules and conditions on form controls. In PowerApps, it's incredibly complex, cumbersome and often doesn't result in the expected behavior. There's no way we're going to see the kind of user driven solution development with PowerApps which is a tremendous loss for our organization.

• Matt “SpE” Spewak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree that PowerApps is not a viable replacement for InfoPath. I support an R&D organization with 30,000 users. We have thousands of InfoPath forms that were built by end-users to create simple business enabling applications.
      InfoPath was a business user capable application that allowed end users to easily develop solutions. PowerApps in its current iteration is no where near approachable for most business end-users. It is built like a mobile app development tool, not a form development tool. The biggest gap I see is the ability to easily and quickly set rules and conditions on form controls. In PowerApps, it's incredibly complex, cumbersome and often doesn't result in the expected behavior. There's no way we're going to see the kind of user-driven solution development with PowerApps which is a tremendous loss for our organization.

• NickP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would agree with this statement. While I did not mind working with infopath, it was always a somewhat limited application that required much coding to do anything of any real value. We really need a new more intuitive application that can be more end-user friendly for creating forms used in form library's and other SharePoint tasks.

• kristi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with everyone else. PowerApps is NOT a replacement. It is not intuitive and easy to use like InfoPath. great thought for a replacement but not really thought through.

• Barbara Garrett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I often let users design the front-end in Word (which they were familiar), Import it into InfoPath, and use a generic template web service to connect to an external database. I was able to reduce a .Net application from several days to a fully functional form in less than 4 hours. The PowerApps is not user friendly.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In it's current iteration, PowerApps is not a good alternative to InfoPath. I support a very large enterprise, over 35,000 users we have extensive use and need for forms with simple rules. What made InfoPath great was that it can take simple business rules and implement them easily. PowerApps does not do this. PowerApps feels a lot more like an IT development tool than a simple front end for business users. PowerApps is also incredibly buggy. This is unacceptable for use in critical business processes. I sincerely hope Microsoft continues to support customizing forms in Infopath for the foreseeable future.

• JoeD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with the others. PowerApps is just not there yet, and development (by MS) on it is very slow. It's not a SharePoint browser forms solutions - using the forms in the browser is just a phone screen - it uses like 1/3 of my monitor and all the rest is wasted. Just as bad as trying to use a full screen non-responsive browser form on a phone. Now we just swapped the problem.

• Shawn Burke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since I have already maxed my votes on this item, I am hoping that posting another comment will somehow improve this suggestion's profile.

Only after doing some deep research today have I finally come to terms with the fact that there actually ISN'T an easy solution to forms with Office 365. How is this not one of the Key functionalities of SharePoint lists?? Are we the only organization that has a problem with forms and processes???

The improvements announced at the SharePoint Virtual Summit seem to be a step in the right direction....but still don't seem to completely handle the issue.

• Shawn Burke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this? PowerApps seems to be a very powerful product....that is being forced as the solution to creating forms. There needs to be a native experience in SharePoint that allows you to design/use forms to push data to a SharePoint List.

When adding parts to a sharepoint site, i see the option to add a "Forms Center" that appears to be compatible with the late InfoPath. THIS IS WHAT IS NEEDED. Using PowerApps to fill in forms, though functional, is unnecessarily cumbersome for more situations.

99% of my company's forms will be filled out from an office computer, not a phone, so the forms should be designed first on the web experience, and then have the ABILITY to also farm data using a PowerApp

• Kevin Stone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"We are planning on building a custom forms experience with Microsoft PowerApps": PowerApps is not a replacement for InfoPath! Complex, mobile-ready forms with logic, tabs, integrations with external data, and workflow integration are needed for really any enterprise. Doing this without having to write thousands of lines of code should go without saying.

• Star D. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft Power Apps are currently not available in the Government cloud, so that leaves a large portion of your user-base without a solution.

• Hassan Syed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are working on and delivering a custom made worklfow solution these days, user interface (forms) are an integral part of any workflow solution and yes ideally it should be the part of the platform. 3rd party solutions like Nintex are expensive and businesses do not like first investing in Office365/SharePoint and then in the 3rd party tools that are in some cases more expensive than the Microsoft product itself.

• Barry Prentiss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Forms are essential in almost all high-tech and non-tech endeavors. Please provide a full-featured, workflow-integrated forms platform for SharePoint. MS could easily buy one of the leaders in this arena and put some engineering into it!

• Daniel Root commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have literally talked to 4 clients just this week and had to tell them there is no good solution for simple forms other than custom app dev. I'll be curious to see what the new 365 app stuff looks like, but honestly, you've already lost customers by not handling this situation well.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base