SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Restore "Sign in as a different user"

This is essential and needs to be easy to find instead of hacking the URL every time you need to sign in as a different user.

502 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Erik shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Needed for QA testing in a multi-national company. On Win 10 with Edge, it's very difficult to open a browser as another user compared to how easy it was in Win 7 IE 11.

I'd love to hear MS's reasoning for removing this feature. Unlike the vast majority of new features that get added, this one was actually used. As in used every day.

Microsoft wants us to all have separate accounts for every day use vs admin level permissions. That's hard to do when your browser forces you to log in with your desktop credentials.

This is such a relatively simple thing to add back in, and would significantly improve my job performance.

PLEASE add this back in.

I can't believe that this doesn't even have a "thinking about it" comment from MS. This was such a simple feature that was IN THE PRODUCT BEFORE, and for some reason they took it out.

I find it funny all the comments about "well just open the browser as a different user". Well sometimes when you are on a very specific site you need to use elevated permissions. The sign in as a different user was VERY handy for that.

And for any company that actually followed MS's BS about having different accounts for day to day work, and others for Administrative work, well boy it sure would be handy to have a simple way to switch back and forth between them!

My company unfortunately bought into that line of thought. I have to log into my desktop as an account with no admin type permissions, and then as soon as I get into SP I run into something that I need either Farm or SC admin rights, and so I have to go through that stupid URL hack to login as different user. And even when I do that half the time if I open a new tab IE is nice enough to pass my non admin desktop credentials straight into the new tab, so I have to do it all over again. I've now pretty much just gone straight Chrome because it will auto-remember my userid/pw for the sites, and now use the Admin account for everything. It's against company policy, but MS doesn't leave me much choice if I actually want to get work done.

It's also funny how I am actually happy when I am on one of my two remaining SP2010 farms and it still has the drop down option. I'm sure MS appreciates the fact that admins are happy that they still have SP2010 around. It says a lot about the company that admins might be happier with a previous version of the product.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can someone explain what the issue is here? I am using Win 10, IE11 and SharePoint 2013 OnPremises and I have no trouble logging into SharePoint as a different user. If you have a shortcut to IE on your desktop, just [Shift]+[Right-click] and choose "Run as different user." Is it a problem with SharePoint online?

• H A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bring it back but with the functionality fixed. The previous functionality had unexpected behavior were the user log in as would stay in the cache and not timing out.

• Nik Patel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No reasons for this one and site actions to play around. I would just leave at the same place. It's integral part of the product. :)

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not necessary.

From windows 7 or 8.
        1. Right click on your browser icon in your tray
        2. Hold shift down and right click on the browser from within the popup
        3. Run as other user
        4. Type username and password

• Tom Burke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree with PaulE's comment below. It's nearly impossible to sign into another account, and only sometimes works when running IE10 as the user you want to sign in as. Most often, it still auto-signs on as your machine user.

There are issues with the web login screen when trying to sign on under a different account as well--sometimes it forgets that you even chose "sign in with a different account" and either populates another one in the Username field, or does an auto-sign-on with your domain user.

• PaulE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"InPrivate Browsing" and "InCognito" don't get you very far when the browser is configured so you automatically log in within a trusted domain. Opening the browser as a different user is some times not possible because a user profile will get created that can cause issues with that account being used autonomously. Manually creating the URL using the pattern found in SP2010 for "Sign in as a different user" is usually my workaround.

• Carol DeMuth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was really a helpful tool to check permissions and views on a site from a test user. Is a little clunky having to reopen internet explorer as a different user. I found I can't open a new instance of internet explorer, so have to shut it down before using this feature.

Feedback and Knowledge Base