SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Enable the edit properties dialog when uploading documents with drag&drop

Upload via Drag&Drop is very easy but it is hard to set the metadata this way.
you need 3 clicks - no user does this much work to set metadata

164 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Markus shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

34 comments

Comments are closed
    • Michael Elkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A few things that would benefit users and user adoption. The whole "folders are evil" concept needs to go. Users that are used to file shares love their folder structures. If you're not able to give them a user experience that gives them more value with the same or less effort, we've failed the end-user. We make heavy use column default values on folders to facilitate the tagging effort, but this is a laborious process to configure and maintain. While we've created provisioning apps to facilitate this, there are a number of constraints that make it more difficult in O365.

Microsoft needs to understand that not all users are computer scientists. Many of the people we need to add content to the system are field workers who understand file shares, but not metadata. The more flexible we can be, the better the solution. Understanding the end- user is critical to user adoption.

• Kris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does Microsoft even monitor this site? Otherwise we are blowing hot air....

• Kris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This Product (SharePoint Online) is useless unless I resort to creating folders to organize documents (contrary to "best practices" ). what on earth is Microsoft doing about this. I need to have users be required to enter metadata or my library becomes useless with a logical vs. physical (folders) view.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, one of my libraries has stopped prompting users for metadata. I'm unaware of any change to the settings (i.e. two columns remain set to 'required'). Any ideas how to restore the prompt?

NOTE: without this prompt users are able to continue uploading files but, the file remains checked-out until they open properties and specify the missing metadata.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is much needed feature from lot of users from usability and ease use of use perspective. Without this the drag and drop is useless for the library with required metadata and people have to do lot of works.

• Eisner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am not sure that it works in SharePoint in the way as described in the solution. I would suggest a low cost third party tool for these purposes. DMS-Shuttle for SharePoint can Edit Metadata, Edit Content Types and Check-in in bulk. There is trial version, just try it in your environment: http://dms-shuttle.com/knowledgebase_category/bulk-operations/

I am working for the company.

• Ignacio Ortiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm sorry but in which universe is this working?

I created a new site collection and no this is definitely not working.

How does this work if a user opens the library in explorer view and dumps a bunch of documents?

• JoeD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Robert, that's one of the problems, and has been since drag & drop was allowed in SharePoint 2013. We have to go to great pains to disable drag & drop in SP 2013 because of this. If a library has a required field, the files go in as "checked out" and the users don't realize it. So the help desk gets support calls about why others can't see their files. Big mess. Either add an option to disable drag & drop, or have it pop up the metadata dialog and get the info required.

• Robert Schumacher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is tagged as done...but it's not working in my environment. If I make one of the fields required it allows the upload, doesn't popup the item, and then puts it in the Document Library checked out. Anyone else have a work around or a clue why it's not working for me?

Drag and Drop using the Modern library with required fields does not work. I'm using a custom content type with required fields (also removed the default document content type). It is a huge inconvenience to users to drag and drop (love the ease) and then go to the trouble of multiple clicks to edit properties and check the document back in.

As a workaround I've added a script to the page to disable the drag and drop feature and set the document library to Classic View. We use several Content Organizers (love this feature!) but have had to implement the workaround to avoid the headache of checked out files with no metadata.

• Markus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is great! Where and when will it be available? Is it a feature for modern libraries only or will it come to the "old" ones too? Will it be available OnPremise?

• cyndi.wilder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Echoing C's comment -- as of today it is not working. I was able to drag and drop a file into a library with required metadata and I was not prompted with a details pane. This is using the legacy library and not the modern view. I don't see an option to switch to the new design.

• C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just uploaded a file today using the upload button and the functionality doesn't work. No details pane opened even though there are required details.

• Paul de Jong | SLIM Applications commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This functionality is key for many organisations. They currently have to resort to third party solutions. For example, the browser-based tool SLIM Companion allows uploading of complete folder structures using drag and drop and supports custom metadata (plus mapping of content types). It also allows users to map source properties like modification date and original path and name.

• Very Blessed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This seemed to have been working as of last week or two weeks but has mysteriously disappeared. Please can you advise what is happening.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base