SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Always show options to send email invitation and select group or permission level

My users want the option to send email from the Share UI to be more obvious. Currently it is on by default and hidden under Show Options. Often they complain they didn't want to send email, especially if adding a large group. Also, depending on site group structure, the default group selected might be one with too much access, so I think that should not be hidden under Show Options either, regardless of the fact it has the text at the top of the window.

75 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Aaron Ott shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In 2015, Microsoft provided me with code to insert in my custom master page that disabled "Send an email invitation" by default, instead of enabling it by default. Now that Modern sites do not support custom master pages, what will be the remedy? Accidentally sending email messages to the enterprise is confusing, and a huge time waster.

• Russell Brasel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! YES! YES! If you have a Site Manager who doesn't know to click "Show Options" and who grants permissions to a SP Group that happens to contain the AD group $employees-all, and 4500 emails get sent out with the vague "So-and-so has shared this site with you," your HelpDesk team will give you the stink-eye for a month after fielding 500 calls that could have been prevented.

• David T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As this has now been here for 31 months, is there any possibility of this insane and annoying issue being fixed?

• eze commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, still need to show that. Especially since there is also the setting for what permissions your are assigning in some cases. Looks like the "new" "apply to all sub-folders and items" was lucky enough to make it "above the fold"

• Tom Burke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Update to my previous comment: The good news is that if you add Everyone, for instance, a message appears under the user-add box saying "1 group will be invited". If you click Show next to that, it says "(won't be emailed)". So that's a good thing. Looks like SharePoint groups and security groups don't get emailed either.

I think the SHOW/HIDE OPTIONS area at the bottom should still be visible by default, though. Now that we know groups won't be emailed, having Send an Email Invitation checked by default isn't as bad, but most of the time I still uncheck it.

• SDADM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really would like this back. It prevents users from accidentally granting access above the level they meant or spamming a link to a large number of users with/in a security group when they wanted to grant access without announcing it via email blast.

• Star D. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, what's the timeline on the next update of the share UI? It's been 10 months since you posted.

• Tim Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just did this yesterday. I sent out a widely distributed email to please come see our adorable style library. Yikes.

• Tim B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Want to assign all votes towards this one. It would be awesome to be able to control this setting in general via site administration. I typically don't want to spam large groups of people when I give access.

• Tom Burke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This checkbox should absolutely be unchecked by default, and shown by default (no "Hide Options" expando).

The "This site has been shared with you" email is often confusing for our users. And if you screw up and leave this checked when you add Everyone to a group...that's a bad day.

Feedback and Knowledge Base