SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

A Total Revamp for Wikis

Could we please have the ability to create Wikis in SharePoint that look like TechNet or Wikipedia? Please try to make things more simple. Do not over complicate it again.

732 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Antonio Segovia shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

65 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Rachel Riggin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does anyone remember the short-lived "information" site -- or something like that? A few years ago, I seem to recall hearing about a new site template that would be perfect for wiki or knowledge base-type content. But the whole thing got scrapped. I was so excited and it just vanished. :-(

• Emmit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without an ability to create an index page ideally based on tags to have similar pages grouped, or a auto TOC and better inline handling of images, MS should be embarassed to say sharepoint wiki is an enterpeise wiki.

• Ali Salih commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an absolutely must. Especially given that MS Teams Wiki solution is quite deficient as well, an SPFx-based Wiki solution that would work in both SPO and MS Teams would rock!

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've never been able to champion SharePoint's wiki features because they are so lacking. MSFT finally added a markdown webpart with little fanfare. Even a TOC would be helpful now, but really, a full revamp is long overdue.

Teams has made wiki support both more in-demand (because users see it and get excited) but simultaneously less supported (because there is a wiki/channel and far fewer features than SharePoint's enterprise wiki).

This should be simple. Just like how there's a communication site, there should be a wiki site. it's landing page introduces categories, maybe a word cloud, recent activity, an intro blurb and graphics, spotlight article, etc. The rest of it is just a page library with ratings, categories, responsive design, etc.

Nothing revolutionary, but tried and true and still missing for god knows what reason.

• Nathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems the modern pages don't allow for easily creating a wiki library, and the old wiki web part looks out-of-date. We are about to create a new knowledge base on how to use SharePoint and O365.
    Management wants to us to use the technology we are promoting (SharePoint) and not resort to ServiceNow or another tool. Yet the Wiki pages look so out-of-date and conversion to modern view isn't even on the roadmap. It looks like we will just go ahead and use the classic-look wiki webpart and have that as the face of SharePoint for our organisation. Not ideal.

• Sarnst commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

copy paste images would already be a massive benefit..... or use OneNote

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make look like Technet or extend the Teams wiki that is also very useful. Also think about a location feature to show wiki articles all over the O365 landscape. Imagine what you can do with such a functionality!

• Vince Jennings commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

page categorisation is very lacking in the SharePoint wiki, can something be done about this also?

• Kazzan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hope, that wiki will be also nice like others new document libraries.

• Garrett H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want the docs layout for the sharepoint wiki. It's so clean and it is organized well. I am literally trying to recreate it by hand. Just make this a thing.

• Elissa Klotz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The SharePoint Wiki is more of web publishing platform than an actual wiki. I would like to see more web publishing pieces added. A traditional wiki is not needed, but a configurable cookie cutter UI that allows users to pick the design of the site or subsites.... Choices like MediaWiki, WordPress, Ektron, etc would really allow users to manage the sites as per their media needs.

• Debanshu Debroy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sharepoint needs to think about how its customers can migrate what they built on classic site to modern site. Organizations spent lot of effort to build wiki sites in classic site. We can't expect them to redo the whole effort to migrate to Modern site.

• Adrian Goneau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are using classic enterprise wikis for a large documentation site with a ton of custom navigation. There is no path to "modern" for us. Please give us some way to convert these pages to modern pages and a way to create complex navigation.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1

Yes, Microsoft Document pages were the ideal wiki for SharePoint :-)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

O365's current wiki works basically like a less functional version of One Notes.

see mediawiki.org for how a wiki should work.
    use mediawiki's as inspiration for
    versioning
    Rapid TOC and page creation.
    linking

Improve on Mediawiki by...
    Adding drag and drop for files in the active page .
    Copy and pasting images in to page content flow.
    Allowing for more text formatting options.
    Improve wiki user permissions.

• Roy F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just tried to create and use Sharepoint wiki pages todayand I quickly hit the lack of support for a page TOC and linking to content in other pages. Wow! I will have to kep my wiki pages in Confluence and link to those pages from our O365 content. Perhaps in a year things will be better.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base