I suggest you ....

A Total Revamp for Wikis

Could we please have the ability to create Wikis in SharePoint that look like TechNet or Wikipedia? Please try to make things more simple. Do not over complicate it again.

557 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Antonio SegoviaAntonio Segovia shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

39 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • IvanIvan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need support for Markdown to be able to migrate from an old Wiki product that we're currently running internally.

• Ernest CorrealeErnest Correale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The SharePoint Wiki is HORRIBLE!

1. There are no text macro options for types of content within the wiki page
        {code} this is my code {/code} should display the content in the {code} block with custom formatting as defined out of the box or as defined by the user. Macros could include options for Code, Lists, Display Panels, Contributors, etc. For a list of examples, see https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/macros-139387.html

2. Ability to create custom templates for Wiki pages. That doesn't mean fire up visual studio, write some convoluted powershell to be run on the server or, hire a team of developers because it’s a “framework”! We are all sick of that nonsense. We want a way for end users to actually create a wiki template for their business use similar to the way they would create a MS Word template. It should not take a senior-level support engineer 3 days to create a custom template in code.

3. Why can’t we copy and paste an image into the Wiki page? I mean, really?? Lack of this feature is one of the issues killing user adoption for my org. Most of them hate the Wiki and I cannot blame them.

4. NAVIGATION! For the love of GOD why is navigation so freak'n difficult in SharePoint!! A user has a Wiki site with nearly 600 pages in it. She wants to create a navigation structure so users can find stuff by category. She has 30 pages tagged with the metadata term "Foo". I would think that she could easily create a table of contents page for all pages categorized with the metadata. Except adding a TOC web part results in nothing but broken links. Obviously, someone forgot to tell the developers that a list of broken links really isn’t really a viable solution.

• Adriaan Van NuffelAdriaan Van Nuffel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you want to link in a Wiki to a document from a library - it should be like this:

- open page editor
        - click an "Add link" button
        - in the popup window -> possibility to browse through the files of the libraries and choose the file you need

It's like that in Word, and seems logical and easy to me.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think MS may miss the point again here. The wiki in SharePoint is unusable by normal people and millennials. As a result, people prefer tools like Confluence. The issue is not just layout, it's also navigation. Look at Confluence and see why that is preferred by many.

• KyleKyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi SharePoint Experiences Team,
        I read the complaints in here and most of us are asking for improved features in the SharePoint wiki. Can you please explain what/how "Adding wiki functionality to Modern Pages is in our plans" relates to the "A Total Revamp for Wikis" idea?
        Thanks.

• Dan MDan M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneNote integration and also consider making it like docs.microsoft.com

• QFQF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without a proper wiki, Sharepoint is not a real collaboration tool.

I don't know in which product Microsoft wants to put a proper wiki. Here I mean a confluence style wiki which really encourage collaboration. A mediawiki (wikipedia) is not sufficient.

Onenote has inherent problem as it is a file. It is slow to open, and when it gets bigger, it becomes slower and slower.

There is a wiki in Teams, it doesn't offer anything more than what a OneNote could offer.

I have used confluence wiki for ten years, the original version is basic but adequate. Here are some important features that encourage people to use it (many are super simple) - show most popular pages, show modified date and user, easy to compare and restore versions, different way of sorting pages (creation, modified, file name, etc.), full search possibility, possible to show (embed) a page in another page (single source of truth).

Would love to help with Sharepoint wiki development

• Rory KinganRory Kingan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wiki editing is terrible I feel like headbutting a wall every time I need to do significant editing. So many rough edges make it horrible to work with. For example:

* bulleting and indenting text, especially when copying & pasting from within the same document, never works quite right and I have to spend minutes removing all the indenting and putting it back how it should be.
        * want to add a link? type the text you want to display e.g. 'click here', select the text, press CTRL-K to open the Insert Link dialog ... wait quite a few seconds for it to appear, making you slightly frustrated ... then the Insert Link dialog has lost the fact you selected some text so you have to type it again and then paste in the link. Not a big deal if your text is 'click here' but if it's more text or you're doing lots of them it's excruciating. This works properly about 20% of the time, or maybe depends on how you've selected the text.
        * select text while in edit mode and then use the keyboard (SHIFT + arrows) to expand the text selection area. Area expands in the wrong directions sometimes.
        * links created to other wiki articles using [[ and ]] notation sometimes retain that notation and sometimes don't
        * sometimes using [[ and ]] notation allows you to look up other articles in the wiki, sometimes it doesn't
        * can't easily paste in images or drag/drop
        * clicking the Edit Page link takes quite a long time to switch to edit mode. In general everything takes a few seconds when it should be much quicker, making it frustrating to deal with. (I'm on Office365)
        * Try renaming 5 wiki pages in a row without wanting to hit something! Open page, wait for it to load. Click Edit page, wait about 10s. Click Page tab > Rename page wait about 10s. Enter the new page name (without being given the current name for you to just modify) and click Enter, wait about 10s. Deep breath, you're done. Now imagine you have 100 pages you want to update the naming for!
        * Help > Feedback link within Wiki section (on Office365) doesn't work.
        * Moving pages between folders requires enabling various different modules in Admin section and then takes AGES. Imagine you have a small wiki with say 20 pages and you want to reorganise into different folders. If you do them one-by-one it will take you over 30 mins, if you group them into fewer moves it's faster, but still the interface is cumbersome and slow and probably requires you to make a separate note about which pages to move together so it doesn't take ALL OF YOUR LIFE. Pity the person who needs to reorganise a larger wiki.

• Will SheaWill Shea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The drag and drop functionality on a Wiki Page in edit mode is an absolute mess. I am able to work through this by doing html edits. This will not work for our basic site owners. Trying to demonstrate Wiki editing to others is embarrassing it is so bad.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you please add a webpart to dynamically create table of content within a sharepoint page?

• KTNNKTNN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Co-authoring should be possible on Wiki pages. Actually you can get a 'Save conflict' message when another user tries to save while somebody is editing: - continue editing - merge changes - discard your changes - overwrite the page. It's not bad the idea below to enhance Wiki Features in OneNote where co-authoring is available.

• Fanny VFanny V commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What a desappointment ! Microsoft didn't work on it ! Wiki in sharepoint Online need realy to be more useful an have more possibility / Please . Think about it very quickly ...

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base