SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

move documents between folders

Make it easier to move documents between folders. It is now possible to use drag & drop to move to sub folders but there are no easy way to move documents up in the structure.

87 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Benoît Fournier shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Comments are closed
    • Brian Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Moving between libraries is essential. It took me 30 minutes to put 90 files into a different library because of putting them in the wrong place at first and then it takes forever to delete those 90 files.

• Project Engineer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Listen, I miss the drag from whatever file i was in to my dektop for editing because for whatever reason Microst Exal and Word are not a fan of SP. the programs take forever to open online, i cant drag and drop from SP to my desktop. The IT guy said we have sp 365 but with IE and Chrome im starting to use SP less and less.

All you've really done is make more areas I have to click and download then then pull all my hair out. Why would you have ever tried to fix what was not broken.

There should just be a settings tab that any user not just the admin and enable or disable SP features. Isnt the point to have ridiculously productive employees? How can we be set up for success with hands tied behind our backs? Im going to try mozzilla now and hope that helps. If not, Ill continue to use my desktop and upload my work at the end of each day. how exhausting!

• aja commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In witch version it's available ? (SharePoint 2013, CU of october ?)

Thanks

• Max commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to happen urgently to make SharePoint really useable...

- Move library between sites
      - Move files/folders between libraries

Needs an "undo" function as well in case users make an error. Or at a minimum, make it a function only available to Site Owners/Administrators.

Honestly can't believe this isn't a thing

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's available in Google Drive, Dropbox, Alfresco, Constellio! It needs to be available in SharePoint! Thanks in advance!

• Paolo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need integrated options to reorganize/manage content easy. Move library/list to different sites collections.
      Move folders/documents to different library in different sites collections.

Other greats options:
      Ability to copy library or sites collections to other SharePoint farm and with different version (es. sp2010->sp2016).
      Also ability to change id of sites collections on "duplicate" content db.

• KTNN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's great that you're working on this because it's a popular request:

https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/forums/329214-sites-and-collaboration/suggestions/11315424-add-full-web-based-file-management-capabilities-to

https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/forums/329214-sites-and-collaboration/suggestions/10981329-move-documents-between-sites-and-between-libraries

You should take the opportunity to combine all the options available in Windows Explorer and Content and structure to create a unique user-friendly way of organising files.

• H. Visser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Onedrive you can move documents easier. Why not at the same way in SharePoint.
      And make it easier to move documents from SharePoint to Onedrive and from Ondriev to Sharepoint

• Romain Bourgue commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One way of doing it would be to have a folder view pane like in the explorer to move folder up and elsewhere. This would also facilitate the browsing in complex document library. Sharepoint has a SPTreeview webpart already, we should 'just' make it support drag&drop...

If not, the OneDrive way is ok too.

• Paolo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need a free easy tools to migrate/move/copy files (and metatadata, versioning, permission, etc.) or list items (and metadata, etc) into different library, sites collections, farm.

• Tas Ranson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really hope this includes moving and copying file between libraries and between sites and between site collections as well.

• Aaron Marks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneDrive for Business has a great implementation of file moves. Let's get the OD4B document library features at parity with SP Doc libraries.

Drag and drop should also be easier

• Andy Baerst commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

to add to this request with an example. A user accidentally drags folder A into folder B. Folder A contains about 500 subfolders upon subfolders. This drag operation was nearly imperceptible to the user who did it and worked flawlessly. This was by accident. The move maintained file data including explicit check-outs. There was no way for the user to drag the top level folder back and fix the situation. The fix required the administrator's involvement. Content and structure did not work due to secondary errors. Open with Explorer did not work due to secondary errors. A 3rd party program was used to copy the 40K files up one level with the resulting temporary storage hit and about four hours of labor as opposed to nearly instantaneous on the downward move.

My point is that if you are going to allow drag and drop to a sub-folder then it seems only logical to allow drag and drop to at least the parent folder.

• KTNN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And be able to drag and drop items between folders in lists.

Feedback and Knowledge Base