SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Remove the list view threshold (5000 by default)

This limit has always been a bit laughable, and is even more so as we develop more client side applications. In SharePoint 2007 we didn't have this limit and were allowed to make our own mistakes. Now that hardware is so much more powerful, we need this limit removed so that we can build enterprise-class applications.

1,004 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

sympmarc shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are continuing to make our large list experiences better, please keep the feedback coming.

Spring 2018 update:
    - We now support being able to manually add indexes to lists of any size (increased from lists up to 20,000 items previously).
    - Starting with the February release of the Office 365 Excel client, you will be able to export your full list instead of getting cut off part of the way through.

What we are working on now:
    - Predictive indexing will start to work for lists larger than 20,000 items so your views will automatically cause the right indexes to be added to your lists.

In our backlog:
    - Being able to index/sort/filter by lookup column types (like person, lookup or managed metadata columns) without being throttled.
    - Making sure that our REST APIs support querying in ways that will guarantee that the call will not be throttled.

For a general update on large list capabiltiies, the video on myignite.microsoft.com/videos/53861 (focusing on large lists at 42 minutes and 25 seconds) describes some of the changes that we delivered back in the second half of 2017:
    - Modern UI now has a lot of support for adding indexes to large lists and libraries on the fly, reducing the number of throttling errors experienced by our users, and some new UI for browsing through items in large lists with our paging model
    - SharePoint runs predictive indexing jobs to automatically add indexes as lists get larger based on your view definitions, and updates these indexes when you add/update your views

Looking forward to receiving more of your feedback.

136 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to be desperately addressed as a matter of priority. Throttling should not exist at all.

Just profiling the SQL calls in order to return a single item is woefully sad. Throttle the speed of the services not the count if its so bad as its made out to be.

Business I work with have lightening hardware supporting SQL service and were able to safely increase the limit to 500,000. Not a chance they will consider SPO until such a critical bottleneck is lifted.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have so many places with custom client side and full trust code that we have increased the threshold and now during the migration it's really creating the issue. Specially with Calendar we do not have any workaround like creating folder etc. This limitation should be flexible and let the admin decide which limit to use. This is blocker for immigration.

• Zoe Stoddart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My organisation has already run into this issue after just a year of regular use in our project library. Having to separate them out into separate libraries really diminishes the functionality so increasing this threshold would help, as currently feeling penalised for moving over to SharePoint as a result.

In the meantime - "Being able to index/sort/filter by lookup column types (like person, lookup or managed metadata columns) without being throttled." would also be great as that's currently frustrating so am pleased that's in your backlog.

• Rakesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you let me know when it will be fixed, this 5k limit really pain for organisation. You guys should provide some kind of pagination.

• Luke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't export a filtered view (even if all the columns are indexed) to excel. Also can't create or update calculated columns. These types of issues is making our migration from on prem very frustrating for both me and our users!

• Piet de Boer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The most urgent problem i currently have:
        i can't remove a (lookup)column in a list with more than 20,000 (or so) items, so i'm stuck.
        My list have 15 lookup-columns and i want to delete some of them

• chad miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

any update regarding REST API and/or the comment below about using lookup fields to large lists?

• MikeyC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot believe this still isn't fixed. Is there some kind of conspiracy behind this or do you lack the developer talent in house? This limitation has pushed me over the edge with MS and SharePoint and I have decided to make a career change. Good job at pushing talented advocates away from your product. 5K limit is utterly embarrassing

How can you say SharePoint can be used in the Enterprise when these limitations are in place, real EDRMS systems do not require folders!

• Otter Tihel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our Company wan't users to work with new OneDrive client on their laptops. We have about 65 000 files. Should we make our mainfolders like new shares in library and index??? It is so comlicated!

Indexing Managed Metadata and/or Multi Value fields still does not work at all over 5000 items. Your index rollout plan is useless if the indexes are not properly supported by the different areas of SharePoint. If adding an Index means key filters work but they still won't work for views, how is that helpful to end users.

• Erdogan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Admins, we need help, have 2,3 milion files in our organisation and wan't to implement SharePoint with OneDrive. What is happening?

• Rickard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What, we have more than 900 000 files and want to use OneDrive to sync across all users. Are you joking, 20000 files...?! Man where are you living, planet Earth 2018,,,? Fix this NOW and SPEED UP, we have work to do.

• Aymeric de Montpellier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The last admin's answer is good, providing more info, and the new coming changes will improve the experience with Sharepoint. Thank you for your work !

Still not perfect, but at least you propose new features to make a difference, and it's a good start :-)

• Zorica commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE, MAKE A VIDEO HOW TO MOVE FILES TO SHAREPOINT ONLINE.
        Take a example of 18 000 files and procedures I need to know and do as an admin.

Our user want to se folder structure like in OneDrive(95% Daily work are in OneDrive synced with Sharepoint libraries).

still face the same issue

An error occurred on the server. Server Response: The attempted operation is prohibited because it exceeds the list view threshold enforced by the administrator. clientRequestId: ac2abc76-b66b-4a13-9021-fbf5172f8d65

• symvar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear MS, I'm a SharePoint admin working for a company with about 230 users. I've been working with SharePoint 2007 and 2010 on prem and about two years ago we decided to migrate our documents to Office 365, SharePoint Online.

Basically since then I have been struggling with the list view threshold and other list/column limitations. I've learned everything there is to know about it and how I'm supposed to work around it and all I can say is:

You are currently not providing a usable product and your workarounds are insufficient and unrealistic.

Rip

• Elena commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Microsoft Guys, can you also put in your backlog handling of lookup fields that are looking up to large lists? Am I the only person who actually sees it as a problem that will never be resolved otherwise? If the lookup fields are here to stay, you MUST address this issue. Modern interface or not, lookup fields that are linked to large lists, still give ERROR "This is a lookup column that displays data from another list that currently exceeds the List View Threshold defined by the administrator (5000)". No matter how much effort we put into indexing the list and making the views work, those fields are real showstopper for us. We need a new lookup field that works regardless number of items in a lookup list. Maybe it could allow either filtering or searching, or be displaying items in batches.
        We can’t move many of our clients to the modern interface because we have to use a third-party control that addresses this issue, but unfortunately only works in a classic SP.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base