I suggest you ....

Remove the list view threshold (5000 by default)

This limit has always been a bit laughable, and is even more so as we develop more client side applications. In SharePoint 2007 we didn't have this limit and were allowed to make our own mistakes. Now that hardware is so much more powerful, we need this limit removed so that we can build enterprise-class applications.

636 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

sympmarc shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The 5,000 item threshold is likely here to stay. We are aware that it takes awareness on both sides to get past this limitation: list owners have to build the right fields, indices, and indexed views so that end user queries can run successfully in large lists. And then, end users have to run the correct queries – they can’t just open the root of the list, they have to use a filtered, indexed view.

We want to pursue work that helps on both these ends – for example, proactively indexing more lists, making suggestions to list owners for views to create that will help end users, and helping end users at query time pick filters that will unblock their queries. Additionally, we want to increase our support for running more types of queries in large lists when an index is present – for example, instead of requiring an indexed filter for every query, maybe an indexed could suffice.

No guarantees or timelines yet, but that’s the way we’re thinking about the problem. Does that sound reasonable?

94 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This limit is terrible and the fact that once you are over the limit you can't index or view the data to reduce the number is crazy. We are exploring other alternatives, so we can migrate away from SP, even though we have been customers since SP2007.

• Freg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, we want to move all our files to SharePoint Online, but have about 10 sites, some with 30-50 000 files on it. What should we do to prepaire us. We just want a simple file storage?

• Sigge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not acceptable to our organization, which has over 20,000 files in each work area, already divided. If you have problems with SQL, do something about it now. We pay a lot of money for the service. It's a joke in 2018 ....

• Justin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can a feature be added to some queries such as the managed checked out versions so they can bypass the threshold limit? That function is crippled by the threshold limit.

• Fanny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1 major benefit of moving to SharePoint online is the capacity, this is not make sense SharePoint online has such limit.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem with this is, yet again from Microsoft, very poor programming!!

The view queries being passed back to the SQL backend are clearly inefficient. On looking for workarounds for this poxy limit, I found that you cannot us OR in a view filter as the query fetches ALL records back and then tries to filter it out rather than using the OR in the SQL query and only returning the records you require.

• Chris Leeworthy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not useful in my case.

I have just migrated multiple sites from old SharePoint 2007 on premise to SharePoint Online.

The lists are already defined and populated with more than 5000 items so I can't go in and fix them by creating new views or indices because they already break the view limit!

How am I supposed to get these lists working again when any attempt to fix them is blocked?

• Gunnar Lied commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My suggestion is: Create a new and dynamic data model without having all eggs in the same basket (like AllUserData), in parallel to the old one, so everything can scale as you would expect in a modern platform. I'm sure it's painful, but all the current limitations are also painful.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand the technical issue and how to overcome it, but not all users are willing to do the leg work up front for several reasons. The biggest reason is probably because they don't initially know their list is going to scale to that size. We are moving from SharePoint 2007, where the LVT didn't exist so how do we migrate content or tell users they have to follow new rules now. MS get it together and get this fixed or make it look like it's fixed, stop passing the buck to the end-user

Any update on this issue? A platform that is built wish such severe limitations is hard to justify... Please help, A loyal 2 decade Microsoft customer.

• Melvin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue reminds me of the win8 start button. one step forward two steps back.

• o365SPO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our customers are "thinking about it" too... thinking about leaving the platform. Please for starters at least allow us to index lists that are over the limit without having to delete or migrate data out. Perhaps the underpinnings of the Custom List need to be completely revamped. 5000 is an embarrassing limit we just can't explain to customers.

• o365SPO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our customers are "thinking about it" too... thinking about leaving the platform. Please for starters at least allow us to index lists that are over the limit without having to delete or migrate data out. Perhaps the underpinnings of the Custom List need to be completely revamped. 5000 is an embarrassing limit we just can't explain to customers.

Maybe if it was easier to apply a filter on the required data to only show items beginning with a range, e.g. items starting with A-C, D-F etc. Or depending on the size of the list, even just a single character. This could help get the results below the magic 5,000 limit. I don't just mean a filter for viewing purposes, what if you want to query the data let's say via a lookup column for applying metadata to uploaded documents for e.g.

I think that would be helpful...

But also not being able to index columns that have exceeded 5 000 is just silly!

if your document library has over 5000 items you cannot even create indexes as it errors. Rubbish product

I highly recommend that alternate products should be used, like "Confleuence". SharePoint is dead in the water.

The 5000 item view limit is one thing, but what really makes life hard is that there's no way to even start filtering without an initial view under 5k. If we have 25k items in a list, the first screen should say "that's too many to display. start filtering to get below 5k" From there it's easy to get under the limit. However, the only option is to pre filter the 25k to smaller, arbitrary subsets, which then makes subsequent filters incomplete.

another idea would be to allow us to take a view under 5k, further refine it, then take away the filters that allowed the first view to proceed, as long as the result is still under 5k. In this way, we can have a filtering interface for the entire library.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base