SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Remove the list view threshold (5000 by default)

This limit has always been a bit laughable, and is even more so as we develop more client side applications. In SharePoint 2007 we didn't have this limit and were allowed to make our own mistakes. Now that hardware is so much more powerful, we need this limit removed so that we can build enterprise-class applications.

960 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

sympmarc shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are continuing to make our large list experiences better, please keep the feedback coming.

Spring 2018 update:
    - We now support being able to manually add indexes to lists of any size (increased from lists up to 20,000 items previously).
    - Starting with the February release of the Office 365 Excel client, you will be able to export your full list instead of getting cut off part of the way through.

What we are working on now:
    - Predictive indexing will start to work for lists larger than 20,000 items so your views will automatically cause the right indexes to be added to your lists.

In our backlog:
    - Being able to index/sort/filter by lookup column types (like person, lookup or managed metadata columns) without being throttled.
    - Making sure that our REST APIs support querying in ways that will guarantee that the call will not be throttled.

For a general update on large list capabiltiies, the video on myignite.microsoft.com/videos/53861 (focusing on large lists at 42 minutes and 25 seconds) describes some of the changes that we delivered back in the second half of 2017:
    - Modern UI now has a lot of support for adding indexes to large lists and libraries on the fly, reducing the number of throttling errors experienced by our users, and some new UI for browsing through items in large lists with our paging model
    - SharePoint runs predictive indexing jobs to automatically add indexes as lists get larger based on your view definitions, and updates these indexes when you add/update your views

Looking forward to receiving more of your feedback.

136 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nisse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Get serious Microsoft and do something, we pay you lot of money. We want to work with our files as same as we do on our cheap NAS = no limits. That must be your goal...?

I don't want to filter and indexing, I WANT TO SEARCH when needed, thats it.

• Sandra McGechan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I understand correctly, the limit is increased to 20,000 IFF the list is indexed. I haven't got that to work yet, but I've got an MS Engineer looking into it for me.

• Steven Derveaux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Okay, trying to make sense out of it? Is the limit in general increased to 20.000? So, an "All Items" view will work on 20.000 items?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

lol, on old version nothing change, to query with code nothing change, with lookup column nothing change BUT BOOM it's Done ! you make my day Microsoft

• Veronique Palmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fail Microsoft! The problem is not fixed. In this day and age of technology it is insane that you can't have more than 5000 items. Come on now.

• Vince Jennings commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry but this "boom it's done" has made no difference to the problem.

For example "Relevant documents" still does not work

An error has occurred.
        The attempted operation is prohibited because it exceeds the list view threshold enforced by the administrator.

In site in question I have 1 or 2 documents checked-out.

• Urban commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

About Ignite session, where are all people from companies and organisations who need a simple document library and don't want this limitations?
        As a user I want a "self configurable" system. I don't wan't to filter and make indexing.

• Jerry Rogers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our Operations is taking and logging thousands of items per day and growing. This has become a MAJOR pain point!

Is this solution REAL and is it available NOW! Otherwise we are migrating away from SharePoint Online for other solutions.

• Loren Schooley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here's a idea. While loading a list, just 5000 objects appear with a prompt that says, "Sorry, due to limitations we can only show 5000 of your 5001 items. Please refer to this help document to resolve view and filter options." This would be better than just locking you out completely.

• Barbara Garrett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The issue of displaying the list has been improved, but the issue still remains that as soon as you exceed 5000 records - you cannot change the views nor create new ones. This is a fundamental requirement for end-users - and a procedure on SQL can be done to do the paging that you created on the list display. Of course - you cannot download 1 million records/metadata in 1 postback, it would be detrimental to the network - but as a web coder and an SQL DBA - I do know that it is not that difficult to provide procedures to bring the data down. At the very least, allow modifications of views and put the limitation of batches not to exceed 5000.

• Steven Derveaux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Boom! It's Done", my first thought was: "Yes! the limit is removed or at least multiplied by 5" but after reading more I came to the conclusion that nothing has changed in the end.

"Boom! It is just a joke". Hmm, I'm not laughing...

• Fanny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why SQL has such limitation? This is not make sense a DB server only support scan less than 5,000 rows.

• w brewer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So it takes 2 and a half years to tell us you're not going to do anything about this? And you pretend it's resolved like we're going to believe that? Disgraceful but oh so typical of this cr*p service.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just so people aren't honeydicked by your misleading "Boom! It's Done". The issues IS NOT FIXED!!! Microsoft failed to deliver on this and are abandoning all hope. The SQL limit is a sad excuse and shouldn't be used as a technical limitation.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great news that the limit has been removed!!!!!
        On the other hand, it still does not work with views showing documents outside folders which would be REALLY USEFUL!!!

• Rob Bowman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, after all this build up we get a simple - sorry we can't get this done. Especially when MS continues to advertise as a Content and Document Management Leader. Greatly disappointed.

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"(noting that SQL will never scan more than 5k rows"

Can you explain why SQL will never scan more than 5k rows?

Feedback and Knowledge Base