SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Remove the list view threshold (5000 by default)

This limit has always been a bit laughable, and is even more so as we develop more client side applications. In SharePoint 2007 we didn't have this limit and were allowed to make our own mistakes. Now that hardware is so much more powerful, we need this limit removed so that we can build enterprise-class applications.

826 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

sympmarc shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are changing the status here back to “Working on it”, as we are not yet done with all that we want to do here, and as many of you have pointed this out. We apologize for prematurely changing the status to done, please keep the feedback coming.

The video on https://myignite.microsoft.com/videos/53861 (focusing on large lists at 42 minutes and 25 seconds) describes some of the changes that we delivered back in the second half of 2017:
    - Modern UI now has a lot of support for adding indexes to large lists and libraries on the fly, reducing the number of throttling errors experienced by our users, and some new UI for browsing through items in large lists with our paging model
    - SharePoint runs predictive indexing jobs to automatically add indexes as lists get larger based on your view definitions, and updates these indexes when you add/update your views
    - We now support being able to manually add indexes to lists as large as 20,000 items (increased from 5,000 previously).

What we are working on now:
    - We are working on adding the capability to be able to manually add indexes to lists of all sizes (i.e. larger than 20,000 items.)
    - We will also enable this capability for predictive indexing soon thereafter so your views will automatically cause the right indexes to be added to your lists.
    - Starting with the February release of the Office 365 Excel client, you will be able to export your full list instead of getting cut off part of the way through.

In our backlog:
    - Being able to index/sort/filter by lookup column types (like person, lookup or managed metadata columns) without being throttled.
    - Making sure that our REST APIs support querying in ways that will guarantee that the call will not be throttled.

Again, we regret that the item was set to “done” before we were done with the full range of changes we wanted to do. We are taking this issue seriously, and are continuing to piece together changes that ultimately result in an experience for our users where this is no longer an issue.

129 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Fanny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1 major benefit of moving to SharePoint online is the capacity, this is not make sense SharePoint online has such limit.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem with this is, yet again from Microsoft, very poor programming!!

The view queries being passed back to the SQL backend are clearly inefficient. On looking for workarounds for this poxy limit, I found that you cannot us OR in a view filter as the query fetches ALL records back and then tries to filter it out rather than using the OR in the SQL query and only returning the records you require.

• Chris Leeworthy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not useful in my case.

I have just migrated multiple sites from old SharePoint 2007 on premise to SharePoint Online.

The lists are already defined and populated with more than 5000 items so I can't go in and fix them by creating new views or indices because they already break the view limit!

How am I supposed to get these lists working again when any attempt to fix them is blocked?

• Gunnar Lied commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My suggestion is: Create a new and dynamic data model without having all eggs in the same basket (like AllUserData), in parallel to the old one, so everything can scale as you would expect in a modern platform. I'm sure it's painful, but all the current limitations are also painful.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand the technical issue and how to overcome it, but not all users are willing to do the leg work up front for several reasons. The biggest reason is probably because they don't initially know their list is going to scale to that size. We are moving from SharePoint 2007, where the LVT didn't exist so how do we migrate content or tell users they have to follow new rules now. MS get it together and get this fixed or make it look like it's fixed, stop passing the buck to the end-user

Any update on this issue? A platform that is built wish such severe limitations is hard to justify... Please help, A loyal 2 decade Microsoft customer.

• Melvin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue reminds me of the win8 start button. one step forward two steps back.

• o365SPO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our customers are "thinking about it" too... thinking about leaving the platform. Please for starters at least allow us to index lists that are over the limit without having to delete or migrate data out. Perhaps the underpinnings of the Custom List need to be completely revamped. 5000 is an embarrassing limit we just can't explain to customers.

• o365SPO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our customers are "thinking about it" too... thinking about leaving the platform. Please for starters at least allow us to index lists that are over the limit without having to delete or migrate data out. Perhaps the underpinnings of the Custom List need to be completely revamped. 5000 is an embarrassing limit we just can't explain to customers.

Maybe if it was easier to apply a filter on the required data to only show items beginning with a range, e.g. items starting with A-C, D-F etc. Or depending on the size of the list, even just a single character. This could help get the results below the magic 5,000 limit. I don't just mean a filter for viewing purposes, what if you want to query the data let's say via a lookup column for applying metadata to uploaded documents for e.g.

I think that would be helpful...

But also not being able to index columns that have exceeded 5 000 is just silly!

if your document library has over 5000 items you cannot even create indexes as it errors. Rubbish product

I highly recommend that alternate products should be used, like "Confleuence". SharePoint is dead in the water.

The 5000 item view limit is one thing, but what really makes life hard is that there's no way to even start filtering without an initial view under 5k. If we have 25k items in a list, the first screen should say "that's too many to display. start filtering to get below 5k" From there it's easy to get under the limit. However, the only option is to pre filter the 25k to smaller, arbitrary subsets, which then makes subsequent filters incomplete.

another idea would be to allow us to take a view under 5k, further refine it, then take away the filters that allowed the first view to proceed, as long as the result is still under 5k. In this way, we can have a filtering interface for the entire library.

• Roy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The list view threshold is to maintain performance so that SQL tables aren't locking upon many concurrent requests. Why not some guidance when increasing the list view threshold is acceptable depending on the amount of SQL row locking occurring based on list view queries? I know of some SP deployments where the list view threshold was increased to 20,000 for 2000 users and probably 70 concurrent user sessions during business hours and performance seemed fine.

• Andy Tous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No, that does not sound reasonable. Your answer might sound logic for an average joe lemon stand, but not for a Fortune 300 company with tons of information on SharePoint. Here's why:

Microsoft support states that SharePoint lists can hold 30 million records. 30 MILLION RECORDS!

Not being able to display more than 5000 items at a time in a view is understandable and logical in order to maintain performance. What is not reasonable at all, thus becoming an impossible task to manage, is the facs that, once you pass the 5000 records limit, you're unable to create filtered list views that return fewer than a hundred results (will not even returns just a few records). THis happens even if the fields being called in the view are indexed.

I tried to create a view in a library of 6000 items that would return 100 records. Nope. Can't do that.

But wait! If I use All Items views, that works! How is that logical?

How in the world would you expect a list that should hold 30 million records to be navigable or manageable without the ability to create views that filter, sort and group?

Your sales and support are both misleading and should state that the limit for SharePoint lists is just 5000 records.

What a joke!

• Kristy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely DISGUSTED with Microsoft over this issue. First of all, if you can't handle more than 5,000 files, why would you ever sell this product to a business? And second, it is completely unreasonable to expect a small or medium business to have the resources or expertise to figure out how to "get past this limitation". The whole point of your product is to make things easier, but we now have hundreds of hours invested into figuring out why 2 out of 8 users cannot sync. Just 2. Not all 8. If this is truly a legitimate issue, how the other 6 work fine is a mystery to me. Our business has been unable to function for months. We use other products that cannot communicate with SharePoint directly; so syncing is an essential feature and one of reasons we selected OneDrive in the first place. If you aren't going to fix the problem, you need to prominently disclose it as a prohibitive limitation so that you don't trick small businesses into investing in a product that doesn't meet their needs.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem is that this LIMIT affects other simple display -- for instance, the method to setup the default OneNote Notebook and Section to use for emails sent to onenote (me@onenote.com) (https://www.onenote.com/EmailSettings) is restricted by this list view threshold limit (as documented here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onenote-mso_mac/notebook-retrieval-error-in-onenote-online/fd41bc98-8537-4df9-8e1e-c15c71bec206).

This doesn't make sense, since OneNote Notebooks are their own thing and there is no need to list the rest of the files in my OneDrive.

Changing how we use OneDrive fundamentally reduces its utility. I cannot reduce my number of files as many are created as part of automated analysis scripts, etc.

Here's the issue. SharePoint lists are supposed to hold 30 million files. 30 MILLION. I understand not being able to display more than 5000 items at a time. What I don't understand is that once you're over 5000 files, you're unable to create filtered list views that return way fewer than 5000 results. I tried to create a view in a library of 13000 items that would return 16 files. Nope. Can't do that. How in the world would you expect a "small" library of 1 million files to be navigable without the ability to create views to filter, sort, group, etc. You may as well say that the limit for SharePoint libraries is 5000 files.

• Noah Stahl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think the proposal is reasonable. This is as others have pointed out a fundamental blocker that can't realistically be overcome by anticipating a limit of records in a given view. I think this should be top priority to solve. Surely the technical capability and infrastructure is there to make this possible.

Feedback and Knowledge Base