SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

Sites and Collaboration

Welcome! This is your place to suggest ideas or vote for ideas for improving the SharePoint Sites and Collaboration experience.

How to submit a new idea

1. Check if it's already been suggested. If it has, vote for it.
  2. If it's new, submit it in 50 words or less.
  3. Gather support!
  4. If your idea receives over 100 votes in 90 days, we will respond.
    If not, we will close it.

Want to engage further? Please visit the SharePoint Community

Note: we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Email Enabled Libraries

Email enabled list for SharePoint Online, this was a great feature for direct interaction with sharepoint via mail, although site mail box is a similar concept, would love to see email enabled lists in 0365.

71 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. read EXIF during import to picture library

When importing Jpeg pictures to a picture library, the system should automatically parse the EXIF header and publish the data to existing columns. It seems that the on-premise SharePoint was able to do so (using special column naming like e.g. "wicSystemGPS_Date", but this seems to be gone for SharePoint online.

70 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Show document library and list descriptions in Modern UI

When creating a list or document library one of the primary fields to enter is the description. In classic UI this used to be shown above the view when users navigated to the library. The only place I can see the description being displayed under Modern UI is in the library settings. The description is a critical piece of information in assisting users with knowing the purpose and intended usage of the library/list. Can we please have it back or some other way of providing similar custom usage or information to the user on the primary UI into a list…

69 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. View in File Explorer for Edge

The "View in File Explorer" library menu item found only in Internet Explorer was very useful. However, consistent with Microsoft guidance, I've lately been using Edge for most of my work. Is there any chance that the same item could be allowed in Edge? Thanks.

69 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Missing ribbon menu, missing functions

Where's the menu (ribbon) in the new look? Without menu there're many IMPORTANT functions missing.

Please find a way to put back full functions. Otherwise the SharePoint is NOT USABLE in a real business environment.

67 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Why can't you simply cut and paste files from one folder to another in sharepoint??? It's ridiculous that you can't do this.

It's simply. Include a way of cut and pasting files from one sharepoint folder to another

66 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

thinking about it  ·  3 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. SharePoint 2019 Thumbnails

Show/Generate Thumbnails in modern UI document libraries.

65 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Drag and drop files directly to Sharepoint

Enable users to drag and drop files directly to SharePoint from other applications, without having to download or save them to desktop first, which is a time-wasting step

64 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. durable links

Durable links should be valid even after any action like rename doc/rename lib/move across webs/move across site collections....and so on.
    There was a lot of promises but now Durable links are not better then Document ID. They are worse.

Make it useful not useless. Lets make documents durable links really durable. I don't care how the technology is called. Me and our customers really need solid technology that is available already on different platforms. Why you don't you use search to be used if document is moved across site collection? Why only Microsoft documents reflect Durable links? Why there is…

63 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Documentset doesn't inherit the Library/Site settings to open documents in the client application.

Documentset doesn't inherit the Library/Site settings to open documents in the client application. When I change the setting to open files in client application and create a new document in a document set it keeps using Office Online. When I create a new document directly from the library it does open the client Office application.

Probably this is by design. But it shouldn't. Please let us know if this is fixed in the modern UI of document sets.

60 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Enable displaying the full text of the list in the Modern UI by default without clicking “Show more”

*English follows Japanese
    ■Title(件名):
    モダン UI のリストの本文を、"表示数を増やす" をクリックせずにデフォルトで全文が表示される機能の搭載

Enable displaying the full text of the list in the Modern UI by default without clicking “Show more”

■Description(内容):
    SharePoint Online のモダン UI のサイト コレクションに設置したリストにて、本文が長文の場合や画像を埋め込んだ場合に、全文が表示されず "表示数を増やす" をクリックする必要があるが、デフォルトで全文が表示されるようになる機能の搭載を希望いたします。

In the list placed on the SharePoint Online site collection via the Modern UI, we are aware that the full text is not displayed in case the body is long or the image is embedded.
    Although we can see the full text by clicking the option “Show more”, it will become more convenient if the full text will be displayed by default.

Thank you for…

60 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Column width resizng should be more discoverable

Column width resizng in modern doc lib should be made more discoverable. Today you can resize by hovering the cursor between column headings and drag the divider. however the divider is not visible at all unless you hover over. would be great to make it light grey or something.

60 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add Original Document Create Date to document library when uploading documents

When uploading documents into a document library SharePoint enters today's date as a create date for the document even thought that document could have been created 4 years ago. This gets confusing when trying to implement retention policies. A library might have hundreds of documents that have the same date, even though those documents were moved to SharePoint from a shared drive on the network. :(

Suggestion to fix:
    Have an option for the user to user the original document create date when uploading a document as a checkbox. And an option to replace it with today's date which is…

57 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. New Experience - Drag & Drop into meta-data grouping from desktop

I have a document library with meta-data associated and they appear in a grouped by view. This meta-data field is mandatory.

Currently when i drag & drop from the desktop, it creates the list item without associating the meta-data. I must then perform another action to tag the content & check the file in. Very annoying & time consuming.

It would be great if i could drag & drop directly to the grouping of existing content and SharePoint would automaticaly set the values for this new item based on where i'm drag & dropping.

This would save users a great…

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. In document library search

I am missing the "In document library search" which was availlable in the classic experience of the document library.

55 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Automatically create albums in a SharePoint picture libraries

Onedrive can automatically create albums based on pictures metadata; we should be able to achieve this in an intranet -> in a SharePoint picture libraries

53 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. multiple document check in

I need to be able to check in multiple documents at once. I cannot be wasting time checking in 30 documents one at a time! This feature is available on classic SharePoint. Why would you remove that?

51 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Notify Your Team message

Can you please remove "Notify your team" notification? It is very annoying as I upload many, many files every day. Is it possible to have a setting to turn this off?

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add "Download a Copy" to "Get a link" options

Within a team/group/sharepoint site we are able to "Get a link" for documents stored in a document library within one of those sites. When I click get a link, I get a URL as follows:

https://travismathew.sharepoint.com/sites/corpsalesteam/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?docid=11584311cc4ce4d7ca41ebd0286eefb95&authkey=AScTJfwGWWN6CqKfwr0Aoo0&expiration=2017-06-16T18%3a24%3a29.000Z

This takes the user directly to a document in the Word Online view. I can then change the guestaccess.aspx part of the URL to download.aspx and the URL now functionally allows a user to download a copy of the document.

Making manual modifications to this URL is not effective, and there should be a way for users to easily click "Get a link" and…

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Enable deleting the version history for the files at once in SharePoint Document Library.

*English follows Japanese

■Title(件名):バージョン履歴の一括削除について
    Enable deleting the version history for the files at once in SharePoint Document Library.

■Description(内容):
    現時点での SharePoint Online の機能ではドキュメント ライブラリなどに保存されているファイルのバージョン履歴はファイル毎でしか削除を行うことできない。
    また、バージョン履歴の保持数を保持しているバージョン数よりも少ないバージョンに設定を変更しても、アイテムの編集を行わない限り古いバージョンが保持されたままの状態となる。
    作成されているバージョンをサイト単位またはライブラリ単位で一括削除や一括でバージョン履歴の保持数を指定した値に変更する機能の追加を希望いたします。
    Currently, we can only delete the version history of files stored in Document Library by each file.
    Also, the old version will be retained unless we edit the items when we change the setting of the preservation numbers of version history to less than we preserved.

Therefore, we hope to add the feature that can be bulk deleted versions by each site or library or change the preservation number of version history to the…

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base