SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

Sites and Collaboration

Welcome! This is your place to suggest ideas or vote for ideas for improving the SharePoint Sites and Collaboration experience.

How to submit a new idea

1. Check if it's already been suggested. If it has, vote for it.
  2. If it's new, submit it in 50 words or less.
  3. Gather support!
  4. If your idea receives over 100 votes in 90 days, we will respond.
    If not, we will close it.

Want to engage further? Please visit the SharePoint Community

Note: we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

I suggest you ....

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. New Experience Issues

In the new experience, our users still want: 1) to check-in multiple files; 2) open .msg and .pdf files in their client application without having to download it; and 3) in the viewer while looking at a pdf file with an electronic signature, the signature disappears; we'd like to see the signature please.

148 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

27 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 147 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Modern Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Group by Content Type

Allow grouping by Content Type within lists and libraries, just like we could in SharePoint 2007!

147 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Provide option to convert existing site to communication site

For customers who are trying to completely modernize their large SharePoint implementations, it should be possible to convert an existing site collection to use the communication site template.

It can simply be a powershell command that applies all the features/etc. it needs.

It doesn't need to change existing content, just apply the styles and create the typical landing page for a communication site.

It'll make it easier to adopt upcoming features (like adding sites to hubs, etc.)

146 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Communication Sites  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Calendar

Please Add a Full Calendar Web Part for the Modern Pages that optionally includes the overlay selection feature, date picker, and toggle between day, week and month. I am not sure why this has not been addressed. Maybe pause on the Bing Maps integration that is rarely used, and work on the regular stuff that has been around for years and is used frequently.

146 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Modern Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Remove the 255 character restriction on Hyperlink fields

There is currently a 255 character restriction on Hyperlink fields. This restriction impedes ability to save Urls that might include hash values are long query strings. Some examples where this is really common are links to SSRS reports (with parameters) and Search urls that contain refinements.

144 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Lists  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Permissions report - inheritance breaks

Allow the owners of the sites to view a report of the security of their site. Start by adding a chart of the inheritance breaks of the whole site in one glance. This will become more and more important since you can use the 'Share' button on a file and break inheritance without understanding what you're doing.

143 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

thinking about it  ·  9 comments  ·  Sites Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Ability for administrators to disable office online chat

We have shared class notebooks setup enabling classes of 30+ students free range to chat to each other. As you can imagine teachers are finding this hard to manage, especially when they're off task inside of a program where work is also taking place; making it incredibly easy for the sneaky students to hide their off topic discussions!

Furthermore the chat logs are not saved anywhere - this really does open up a host of child protection issues where cyber bullying could take place within the school without any logs of it ever happening.

140 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Custom restrictions of file types that user can upload to a document library.

SharePoint Online. We really need to set some restrictions of file types that user can upload to a document library.
    For example, to deny upload file with extension .bmp and .tiff.

140 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Please add back in the list filter options such as "contains", "starts with" that were in classic sharepoint..

Please add back in the list filter options such as "contains", "starts with" that were optons in classic sharepoint..

139 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Lists  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Publish a modern page on a given time

My users would like the ability to publish a modern page on a given time. Now it is only possible to publish a page directly. Make it possible to publish a modern page on time the user (optionally) enters in a datetime field.

138 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Modern Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Please provide option to customize email templates

Please provide option to customize email templates used to send notifications out of SharePoint online like "Send by Email" feature on modern UI pages, sharing notifications to other users. Most organizations do not allow users to install mobile apps. Providing information that is not approved will confuse the users and require constant training.

135 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. export to excel

Bring back 'export to excel' to the new document library experience

134 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Highlighted Content Web Part - Add AND OR for multiple filters

Adding multiple filters defaults to OR. In other words adding multiple filters finds more items, rather than finding the intersection of the two filters. You need to be able to specify AND or OR between multiple filters in the web part.

131 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Metadata  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Office 365 Connectors web part in Communication Sites

Office 365 Connectors within SharePoint are only available for use within group-connected SharePoint team sites, according to https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/use-the-connector-web-part-db0756aa-f78f-4b74-8b19-be5dca0420e1.

Please add support for using Office 365 Connectors also in Communication Sites. For example, I would like to display data from outside by using an RSS Feed connector on a Communication Site page.

127 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Communication Sites  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Organize sharepoint sites

I'd like to be able to organize the home page of sites i'm following to put the sites I use the most at the top, and group similar sites --for instance, I have several sites that are related to Human resources work, but I only use them occasionally and would like them to put them in a folder or notebook. Instead, they are all listed separately and I have to scroll through them to get to the ones I use more frequently. If there is already a way to do this, it is NOT apparent on the way my sharepoint…

121 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Sites Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Support Themable CSS Without Having To Customize The Master Page

For light-touch customisations, we simply want to use SharePoint Themes and also add our own Themable CSS to sites.

Unfortunately the only way to add a Themable CSS to a site is add a CssRegistration control to the Master Page referencing the Themable CSS file. We want to avoid having to customise the master page simply to add a Themable CSS link.

It is contrary to current Microsoft guidance to modify the master page unnecessarily, and in doing so, in the best case we lock ourselves out of any future enhancements as SharePoint evolves that are dependent upon an upgraded…

120 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Publishing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Smaller hero web part

Hi! It would be great if you could chose to have the hero web part in lesser height.

113 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

working on it  ·  6 comments  ·  Communication Sites  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Improve Highlighted content web part to support custom content types and their custom columns

I'd like to show users documents from an another site (different o365 group site). I came across the Highlighted content web part which is a very flexible and potentially useful function. However I can not filter my documents with it as it
    1 does not show custom content type at the type or document type filters (even though my content type is directly inheriting Document), and does not lists my documents either (basically being Documents because of the inheritance)
    2 can not select custom columns of my content type at the managed property filter.

113 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Modern Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. A way of synching your SharePoint calendar with outlook online (365)

There should be a way of synching up your SharePoint shared team calendar with your online 365 outlook mail account, so that you can add and edit events from within the app on your phone / in your browser. As far as I can see a the moment you can only synch it with the desktop client which seems a little archaic

113 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base