Sites and Collaboration

Welcome to the Sites & Collaboration UserVoice forum. This is your place to suggest ideas for improving the SharePoint product.

How it works

• Share your ideas! But first check to see if it’s already been suggested. Vote for your favorites!
  • If you have a new suggestion, submit it! 25 words or less, please!
  • Ideas will be reviewed monthly – so gather support! If an idea doesn’t have at least 100 votes after 90 days it will be closed.
  • If an idea has been considered for additional review, we’ll update its status.

Thanks for joining our community and helping improve SharePoint!

Want to engage further? Please visit the SharePoint Community

I suggest you ....

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Vote for an existing idea (10)
  • or
  1. Remove the list view threshold (5000 by default)

This limit has always been a bit laughable, and is even more so as we develop more client side applications. In SharePoint 2007 we didn't have this limit and were allowed to make our own mistakes. Now that hardware is so much more powerful, we need this limit removed so that we can build enterprise-class applications.

636 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

94 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The 5,000 item threshold is likely here to stay. We are aware that it takes awareness on both sides to get past this limitation: list owners have to build the right fields, indices, and indexed views so that end user queries can run successfully in large lists. And then, end users have to run the correct queries – they can’t just open the root of the list, they have to use a filtered, indexed view.

We want to pursue work that helps on both these ends – for example, proactively indexing more lists, making suggestions to list owners for views to create that will help end users, and helping end users at query time pick filters that will unblock their queries. Additionally, we want to increase our support for running more types of queries in large lists when an index is present – for example, instead of requiring an indexed…

• Remove the limit (5,000 items) on SharePoint Document Library Syncing

The sync limit does not match OneDrive for Business, and adds complexity to the end user experience, administration and architecture of SharePoint. Please remove this sync limit.

504 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Default notification for lists and library's hitting the 5000 items limit

At the moment there is no option to send a notification to an Office 365 Admin when a list or library is reaching the limit of 5000 items, it would be good if an out of the box option could be implemented to send this notification. e.g., a check-box option with an email field and the number of items to alert when reached, this would be great if it could be implemented across all site collections, so an Admin could set this up once and not worry about time consuming tasks of having to set up alerts or workflows to…

35 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

thinking about it  ·  0 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Remove the limit of 5000 items as result in a view

You can have millions of items in a list, but as soon as the view you are using returns more than 5000 ítems then you get an error, the only solution is to create filters and indexes to this view, and it has to be done before reaching the 5000 ítems limit, otherwise there won't be a way to create the indexes / filters.
          I know about this workaround because I created a support case in Microsoft Premium, here you have the reference: [REG:116022413747778] Sharepoint History list has been lost or can't be seen

48 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Lists  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Make it possible to enable "Enforce relationship behavior" in large lists

When a list reaches 5000 items, you cannot enable Cascade Delete on lookup columns. SharePoint will return an error saying that "the attempted operation is prohibited because it exceeds the list view threshold"

4 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Add support for Forms Fields that reference columns in Large Lists

Would like to have the Form Field in New and Edit screens to be able to lookup a column in a list with > 5000 items. Should be able to search for the item vice displaying all items so that it overcomes the large list boundary.

0 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Lists  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Indexed managed metadata columns error

When I have more than 5000 documents in a library.The managed metadata columns is indexed, I have set up views to filter on a managed metadata column.However, it is showing a limited number along with the error "Displaying only the newest results below."

3 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Lists  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Lookup on lists over 5,000

Lookup Columns that go to a list that contains more than 5000 items does not work even if that list is indexed. Indexing allows users to see items in the list in a normal view, but when trying to do a lookup to that list from another site or library, there is no filtering applied. It would be nice if some filtering could be applied to the lookup feature to help narrow the results shown in the lookup.

13 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Lists  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Increase SharePoint Online library list limit for document libraries

We want to move away from local storage for staff shared documents and move onto SharePoint Online. We managed to bulk upload 145GB of documents into one of our Document libraries and suffered from issues where you could access/ see all of your files in SharePoint Online, but if you mapped it as a network drive, some of those folders/ files are not appearing. I've noticed this issue on document libraries that exceed the 5000 limit. It would be handy for site admins to adjust the limit to their individual needs.

cheers

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Error message

I am working with more than 5000 lists and migrate the items into saving lists at every 3 to 6 months. I have found an error below when I attempted to migrate the items along with contents and structures.
                      ---------
                      <Error Message>
                      "The current operation could not be completed.Try again, or contact your system administrator.Exporting object(s) for Move...
                      "
                      ---------
                      When I selected the fewer than 1000 data, I was able to migrate it. However, I am not quite sure how the problem has been caused, like for instance, whether the cause is server load or whether the matter of…

16 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Sites Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base