I suggest you ....

Provide CSOM and REST API for recurring calendar events

There is no obvious way to get details about a recurring calendar events through the CSOM or REST API.

When querying a calendar list only one item is returned for the calendar recurrence item. Only one field identifies this is a recurring item. the fOccurrence field is a boolean field.

When using the server side object model, properties are available to expand recurring calendar events to get the individual recurring items.

The only way to do this for client applications is to go back to using list.asmx which is not great and I'm not sure how long this will be supported.

Not having this makes the use of calendar lists in apps (SharePoint hosted, Display Templates and Client Side Rendering) useless.

388 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Toby Statham shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dan Russell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition, please provide the ability to filter events between dates. The irony is that, one can add their own datetime fields to a calendar, assign them the same values as the Start Time/End Time fields, and filter events that way . . . but you can't do it with the ones native to the calendar!

Man, who made this decision?

• Paul Colucci commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is insane. The fact that we can't get recurring events expanded in REST is unacceptable. This effects so many projects for my clients.

• Ben Steinhauser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this added to the set of APIs. My team architects almost lost their minds when I had to explain that an Azure Function had to use SharePoint ASMX endpoints to expand recurring events in a calendar. Give us at least one API that will expand them outside of ASMX or SPOM (SharePoint Object Model). CSOM, REST, or even Microsoft Graph would be great if we could get this data out. Interestingly enough the Microsoft Graph API expands Outlook/Exchange recurring calendar events already out of beta in v1. It works as expected. If you could make sure the SharePoint endpoints have the same functionality it would go a long way.

• Ben Steinhauser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please, we need this added to the set of APIs. My team architects almost lost their minds when I had to explain that an Azure Function had to use SharePoint ASMX endpoints to expand recurring events in a calendar. Give us at least one API that will expand them outside of ASMX or SPOM (SharePoint Object Model). CSOM, REST, or even Microsoft Graph would be great if we could get this data out.

Funny enough the Microsoft Graph API expands Outlook/Exchange recurring calendar events already out of beta in v1. It work great. If they could make sure the SharePoint endpoints have the same functionality it would go a long way.

Looking forward to a solution sooner than later.

• Dave Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Calendar list item Recurrence data is stored as an Xml document in the RecurrenceData FieldValue for the list item. It looks something like this:
        //Recurring Event Every Sunday Forever
        <recurrence>
        <rule>
        <firstDayOfWeek>su</firstDayOfWeek>
        <repeat>
        <weekly su="TRUE" weekFrequency="1" />
        </repeat>
        <repeatForever>FALSE</repeatForever>
        </rule>
        </recurrence>

Parsing this Xml data is pretty straightforward.

• Christopher Parker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You've got to be kidding me, Microsoft. This has been up here for over a year, is clearly addressing a MASSIVE functional hole in the REST API, has been posted and promoted by a recognized and respected leader in the community, and you guys can't even be bothered to RESPOND to it?

What sort of faith are we supposed to have in the User Voice process if this is the kind of stuff that goes on?

• sympmarc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only way to expand SharePoint events from a calendar is using CAML. There should be a way to retrieve the recurring events fully expanded using REST.

Feedback and Knowledge Base