Support .NET Core with CSOM
Support .NET Core with CSOM
Just a quick update on this highly requested feature as we are happy to communicate clear progress on this submission.
We are actively working on this with current estimate it being publicly released for production usage by end of June. We are just about to start internal validation of these components and if everything goes as planned there are no plans to further update the schedule.
We do apologize the delay on getting highly requested feature released, but also looking forward on your input and feedback when the feature is available.
On the on-premises support. As CSOM API has a dependency on the server-side assemblies, which we are not planning to significantly update for the SharePoint 2016 and SharePoint 2019, we cannot unfortunately provide on-premises support with the upcoming release.
This means that the upcoming .NET Core version of CSOM will be only supported in SharePoint Online.
Dennis Bradley commented
Are you saying that you will only support Sharepoint Online on .NET CORE CSOM without supporting on premise in general?
This would be ridiculous.
No public pre-release version for now. We are currently testing this internally and are planning to get it out in few weeks if there's no surprises, but looking good.
Good thing to know that it will NOT support usage of SharePointOnlineCredentials as that does not support MFA. You can use Azure AD app registration etc for the authentication model. So moving away from the legacy auth options to align with future models.
This is also only released for SharePoint Online without support for on-premises.
any prerelease versions for .net core?
Open source it, we will coded it :P
Hello Microsoft. Perhaps you could give an update on this, and whether COVID-19 will mean further delays? We've been waiting very eagerly for an update as we're a DotNet-core-first development shop.
Yes indeed beta or even alpha package is welcome! We can test it and give feedback. I hope if no beta does not mean that the development has not even started yet. (feeling dissy)
we need this so much, can you provide beta package? whatever will work to pogress with this is welcome.
any dates? may or june? we need this as soon as possible.
Gabriel Smoljár commented
This is even more urgent now that ASP.NET Core 3 is not running on .NET Framework.
Alan Ahlberg commented
I have a firm speculation that the fix is coming out when Patrick Rothfuss releases the doors of stone.
Microsoft started "Working On IT" two years ago (12 April 2018).
There are some sites with freelancers that could do this for Microsoft if they don't have the time.
I really don't get why you push everyone to .Net Core, Azure and to Office 365 and don't allow people to use them.
Michel Weber commented
I hate to be right. You will probably not deliver on this too. I expect that if you deliver (which is not very probable) it will be at the end of this year.
It's a bad practice to even use SharePoint in many cases. Only use it if you absolutely must and cannot use any other alternatives.
- Only use SPFx Webparts if you need to run client-side in SharePoint without any outside dependencies (if you need a WebAPI running custom (elevated) code - implement the GUI there).
- Use Azure Blob Storage instead of SharePoint Document Libraries
- Use SQL Server instead of lists
Regarding the CSOM API NuGet package .NET Standard version:
There is a workaround that our team uses:
Use the experimental .NET Standard CSOM:
There is an *experimental* .NET Standard CSOM version available here:
This is coming from the PnP-Team and is unsupported by Microsoft.
So far this works well.
This is a joke right? WTF? Youve now kicked this 3 months twice. Are you taking the piss?
Do you ever plan on releasing this or in 3 months time are you just going to kick it another 3 months?
If there is massive demand, add more resource
We could move to Graph if it wasnt so half-assed and missing features
Vesa ... forget it ... nobody cares about SharePoint anymore .. you managed to kill it and SPFX is a pure mess ... Have you ever heard of Semver and breaking changes? According to this Semver there should be SPFx Version 6 or 7 ... Ever heard of npm audit fix and vulnerabilities? Where is your solution to that? Vulneralbilities coming up every week and than your spfx project upgrade with 50+ commands that have to be executed manually ... ?
Now into April. Please provide an update
please any update as it is end of Q1? or another message that this get delayed again?
Today is the last day of the first quarter of 2020...
Any update on this. We are 4 days out from end of quarter.