I suggest you ....

Simplify CSOM for using w/Angular/Backbone/Sencha - for Real World Scenarios, use CSS than JS, overcome OData constraints (oriented to CRUD)

All the things are related to SharePoint Online development:

1. SharePoint CSOM model is too complex for using with leading technologies, such as AngularJS, Backbone, Sencha ExtJS and so on. And there is a lack of documentation for "built-in" CSOM/SharePoint JS API function, for example user name extraction from user field). You have to google a lot to find if anyone has found any solution how to solve it.

2. There are lots of useless JavaScript that does a lot of functionality/processing that is available using pure CSS or native browser functionality (I'm not talking about HTML5 and CSS3 right now). For example - main menu, that has 2 levels, and if You want to expand the 2nd level you have to hover the mouse pointer and that hover event is fired by JavaScript instead of using CSS hover ant the worst thing is that the mentioned JavaScript that fires hover event is built-in the core functionality JavaScript file and You cannot just simply detach JavaScript event listeners by forcing not to load JavaScript file (cause the same file has required for core functions to work).

3. The OData constraints are really complicated, cause they are oriented to CRUD operations (i.e. working with one list/list view), it is really hard to expand list with joined list (using lookup field) to join multiple fields. And there are still problems with responsive design and user experience, You just cannot mate SharePoint design whatever You want - I always have to keep in mind all the masterpage and placeholders constraints (like search control delegate placeholder and so on).

4. There are also a lot of JavaScript solutions, that is oriented to cross browser functionality, but usually those functions were oriented to IE8, which nowadays is not supported anymore, so I would suggest/recommend using simple and native JavaScript functions, like el.querySelector(selector) and so one.

5. Another thing is Responsive SharePoint design stuff and related things. SharePoint Document Object Model is too complex - I would recommend simplifying it and leave SharePoint Designer, otherwise lots of User Experience professional developer would choose another platform.

6. Problems with anonymous authentication and list view pagination. Pagination does not work, because it requires some extra permission that prevents from functioning.

7. SharePoint Online API is really complicated: the functionality for Event Receivers, Time Jobs, WebParts and so one creates really big challenge, which causes System Architects to consider other platforms and so on. For example: if You have to create solution for On Premises solution it would take few months of development, but if You would have to do the same functionality on SharePoint Online – some of the solutions event Would be almost impossible or would be much higher cost (not only cost of money), but lost of performance and other issues and some of the functions would be almost impossible (like incoming emails and so one – consider scenarios where You can’t use 3rd side solutions or Hybrid architectures).

90 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    NerijusNerijus shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! Although we appreciate your time and effort to give us this feedback, we can’t really create unfortunately actionable items from this large list of requests. There are extremely valuable items in the text which we would love to get submitted as individual items, so that we can truly triage and address the challenges.

What we are looking is specific actionable items in UserVoice for specific gaps. We can’t unfortunately address collection of items in single efficiently, since improvements will be also released gradually and not as a big bang.

Your input has been absolutely acknowledged, but we’ll have to close this one and would rather request seeing if the specific items or topics have been already submitted as a one-by-one submissions or submit new items.

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JayJay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2. Create your own navigation menu, you don't have to use Microsoft's.

3. Don't use lists, it is well documented how terrible they are. Use a database like you would for any other CMS.

4. I would be happier if SharePoint outright dropped ActiveX requirements and provided HTML5 alternatives to the Office and Windows explorer integration. Having to use IE all the time for document management is much more painful.

5. Don't use SharePoint Designer. It's terrible, I never use it for any SharePoint solution, app or even content.

6. Don't be lazy and write your own JavaScript that presents the list data more friendly.

7. Just because you don't understand it, doesn't make it bad. Event Receivers are great, Timer Jobs are great, re-usable web-parts aka widgets are great. I built an Timer Job yesterday in 15 minutes.

Sounds like you just don't understand how to develop for the platform and are complaining about functionality outside of your experience and understanding. So fix that, go to pluralsight and learn.

• JayJay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

a few of your problems are solved if you visit MSDN. That being said, JSOM is significantly under-developed and needs to be brought up to level.

Too many issues. You should have split them out into individual issues.

Feedback and Knowledge Base