SharePoint Administration

I suggest you ....

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ship SharePoint Server 2016 with a SAML Claims-aware People Picker

I gather from Bill's "What's New for IT Professionals in SharePoint Server 2016" Ignite session that SharePoint 2016 Web Applications will leverage SAML (Trusted Identity Provider) claims by default.

When using SAML claims with SharePoint 2013, we need to deploy a Custom Claims Provider in order to resolve names (even against AD DS), which introduces a requirement for a Farm Solution. Kirk Evans discusses this here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kaevans/archive/2013/05/26/fixing-people-picker-for-saml-claims-users-using-ldap.aspx

Will SharePoint Server 2016 ship with an updated People Picker and Claims Provider that is natively "compatible" with SAML claims, or will a bespoke solution still be needed?

201 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

12 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • SharePoint Management Shell/Central Administration Auditing

Currently, when an administrator performs an action in the Management Shell/Central Administration, most of the data regarding who and what action took place is not recorded. This makes auditing impossible when there are multiple administrators managing the farm. I would propose putting auditing controls in for the SharePoint Management Shell and Central Administration, to record who and what changes were made.

187 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  on-premise Central Admin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! Your idea sounds interesting, but we need more information to understand. Can you tell us more about how you would like to use this feature?

Is your primary intent to use these logs for reporting and for troubleshooting? Will collection and centralization of these logs in a DB, such as the usage DB, provide the functionality that you seek (if these logs contain data of who performed the action, what the action is, what the target of the action, and when the timestamp of the action is)? How important is having a UX, in addition to the centralized log location, on a scale from 1-5 (1 being least important, 2 being somewhat important, 3 being neutral, 4 being important, 5 being not important)?

• add clean-SPcontendatbase to remove orphane objet site and feature

add-cmlet to help Administrator to clean missing objet or missing feature into content database some after test-spcontentdabase

124 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  on-premise Central Admin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Provide ability to create HNSC via Central Admin

Please add the ability to create Host Named Site Collections (with full Content Database selection support) via Central Administration.

Without this ability the adoption of a single web app and HNSC will remain almost non existent within enterprise customers. The only way to do this in a manageable fashion is via the deployment of a custom site provisioning provider - which is a FTS!

103 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  on-premise Central Admin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Set Metadata for multiple files

Set Metadata for all files that are being uploaded. Currently when a user uploads multiple documents the metadata has to be set afterwards.
            Add this to SP2016

94 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Taxonomy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Add a "Show PowerShell" button to each wizard/dialog in SharePoint Central Admin.

In SharePoint Central Administration, it's common knowledge that nearly everything you can do has a PowerShell counterpart. Thus, each wizard / dialog in SharePoint ought to show the equivalent PowerShell command / technique, so the administrator could save some steps in the future. It is also a handy way to learn how to use the cmdlets.

I have seen this capability in other Microsoft products, such as SQL Server Management Studio and the Windows 2012 Server Manager. SP 2016 could definitely benefit from this as well.

79 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  on-premise Central Admin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Deny Security

You should be able to apply deny security to objects and sites in SharePoint. Everyone in the company (via domain users AD group membership or some other security group membership) should be able to see a site except employee a, b and c.

As you hire new employees with deny security in place, you don't have to add them to the site.

Imagine this... If you have 20 new hires a week and 200,000 sites that they need access to and each site has random individuals who aren't allowed to see random sites. The administrative burden is huge.

Locking down…

60 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Sharepoint Monitoring( Database) from Central admin

I would like MSFT give us the ability to see the following things/ reports either from Central Admin or Powershell.

Content Database Size( free space, data space etc)
                  Site collections in the Database
                  Site collections Size per database / per web app.
                  Disk space on the SQL Server
                  Manage the Permission on DB from SharePoint.

This will help administrators to managed the Content DB and plan the storage space effciently. in the orgnization where SP admin dont have access to SQL server, these reports really help.

59 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  on-premise Central Admin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Get in SharePoint Online the ULS entries for 'your' correlation id

In Office 365 / SPO you cannot access the ULS logs to lookup the logged information on error situation. Only option is to contact Microsoft Support. This is cumbersome and takes elapse time, hindering your progress. Required a secure option to on-the-fly retrieve the ULS entries related to 'your' correlation id (checked against the tenant for which the user has authenticated)

53 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Office 365 SharePoint Tenant Admin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Increase audience compilation

As a school the ability to set rules and audiences in the admin settings is very useful. However, the current frequency for audience compilation is once a week (on Saturdays). It would be very useful to increase that frequency to twice or even three times a week. Would you consider increasing the frequency of that operation? Thank you.

49 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Office 365 SharePoint Tenant Admin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • IRM read permission does not allow to change a filter or a pivot, nor to run a macro

The RMS permissions on a document for a user depend on the permission a user has for that library or document in sharepoint. The mapping from the sharepoint permissions to the RMS permissions are fixed and cannot be configured at this moment. This causes problems for users having sharepoint read access, when opening an excel workbook because they cannot change filters, make or change pivots, running macros. This makes the reading process of RMS protected workbooks unusable.

48 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Make the Default sent from SharePoint Emails (like Quota limit and Access request) fully configurable in Central Admin

This would allow (without hacking at the default files) to set branding on the Emails in a HTML based format to make the emails more meaningful to users.

Also the Quota limit email should be more meaningful and a developed solution I have seen was to disable the timer job that actually runs with a custom version and then send out a mail with a more visual representation of the Storage being used ( Simple bar showing total amount of storage allocated to the site with the amount used and how much was in the recycle bin.)

Also I would…

44 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Automated Farm Backup

Automated Farm Backup - be able to set and configure scheduled farm backups, including varying the location based on disk space, and by context (e.g. rule based ,if any modification occur on site XYZ, then backup XYZ 1 day afterwards).

38 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

tell us more  ·  6 comments  ·  Backup/Restore/High Availability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Implement Redis caching for SharePoint

With the deprecation of AppFabric, SharePoint requires a robust caching mechanism for session state, logon tokens, and more in order to avoid requiring persistent connections on load balancers, in addition to improving performance. Another plus would be to use Redis cache clusters that were not part of any SharePoint farm. That is, allow multiple farms to leverage to leverage a single Redis cache server. This may also allow a customer to run non-Windows servers for Redis.

37 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Distributed Cache  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Allow list/library views to be permission based

To be able to create custom public views on a list or library that can be distributed to only certain users. This can help to control who has access to what files within list or library quite simply

34 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Provide support for SSL and IP Address bindings in IIS

Provide full support for IIS bindings - i.e. include SSL and IP Address + SNI options. It is slightly ridiculous that these settings must be managed outside of SharePoint and influence the logic of web application creation. Bring web app creation up to date with the versions of IIS SharePoint is running on.

34 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Adjust the SharePoint Srvr licensing model (& its requirements) to be compatible with making available an ISV product on SaaS business model

The current licensing model isn't friendly at all if you're thinking on making your SharePoint product available as a Cloud SaaS.

To go Cloud, this must needed change must occur so that the SharePoint (and its ecosystem required products) licensing model to fit well with SaaS business models without an obscene entry cost in licensing that crushes your initial investment as an ISV.

We have this product that we developed, and it requires SharePoint Server.

We’ve been considering for some time now the possibility of making our product also available as a SaaS.

However, as SharePoint Server is a requirement…

33 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Add ability to route documents into Document Sets based on metadata

As the title said, I would like to see the capability to create content organizer rules that can route documents into specific document sets based on metadata on the document and on the document set.

31 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Taxonomy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • add configurations for enabling/disabling Workflow Auto Cleanup and Auto Cleanup Days

Would like access to Workflow Auto Cleanup as my company has audit and compliance restrictions around retention of workflow approvals and I had to find out the hard way that SharePoint Online permanently deletes workflow history older than 60 days and I can't turn it off.

31 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Auditing & Compliance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • User Profile Sercvice Application

A little less complicated and UPS configuration will definitely help and reduce issues that occur during and after configuration.

31 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User Profile Services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 34 35
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base